+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Emerald City

Emerald City

per Wikipedia

Emerald City is an American fantasy television series based on the Land of Oz book series written by L. Frank Baum. A 10-episode first season was ordered straight to series by NBC in April 2015,[2] which premiered on January 6, 2017.[3]

Directed by Tarsem Singh

Location(s): Croatia, Hungary, Spain
    Visually impressive, sets, costumes, locations all first rate. Tarsem Singh creates stunning visuals. The premiere consists of episodes 1 and 2 and while interesting needed a little kick to make it captivating.

Tarsem Singh is directing all 10 episodes so that means real consistency with the visuals for the entire season.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-14-2017 at 03:37 AM.
    cablejockey likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

Re: Emerald City

Season 1 Episode 1 - "The Beast Forever" - January 6, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_City_(TV_series)

Dorothy Gale, a 20-year old Kansas nurse, wants to renew her relationship with her biological mother Karen, who gave up for adoption. During a storm, Dorothy goes to Karen's trailer, finding a corpse inside and her mother lying injured in a storm shelter. Dorothy is confronted by a police officer but she ducks into his squad car, the twister transporting it and a police dog to the Land of Oz, Dorothy running over the Wicked Witch of the East. Taken to a tribal village, Dorothy is warned the witch's death will make her a target for the Wizard and other witches liked Glinda and West. Dorothy travels to the Emerald City with Toto, meeting an amnesiac, crucified man she names Lucas. The two are confronted by the resurrected East, but Dorothy fools her into shooting herself in the head using a police gun. The Wizard dispatches his soldier Eamonn to find Dorothy.
    Dorothy stealing patient meds was a shocker.

Luv'ed the way they portrayed the munchkins that was unusual and very creative.

Luv'ed the Scarecrow who is mindless --- nice touch to have him look as if he was rolled in dirt and straw ... Nimbo I know means something in the stories.

The way the portrayal of the Witch of the East was impressive.

Is Dorothy the Beast?
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-14-2017 at 03:40 AM.

Season 1 Episode 2 - "Prison of the Abject" - January 6, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_City_(TV_series)

Glinda and West prepare to store East's soul and spells within their sacred temple, sealed up by the Wizard as per his ban on magic. The Wizard opens up the ceremony to the public, the ritual terrifying them and changing their once respected view on the witches. Eamonn and a band of soldiers track Dorothy, but when one of his subordinates tries to murder him so they can go home, Eamonn kills him off-screen. Lucas falls ill, Dorothy taking him to the witch Mombi for help. Mombi points out a sword Lucas carries belongs to one of the Wizard's soldiers, who persecute magic practicioners. Dorothy discovers Mombi's ward Tip is imprisoned but Mombi claims it is for his own good since he is ill. Mombi poisons Lucas, but Dorothy heals him. She frees Tip with help from his friend Jack, both boys fleeing into the night. Mombi tries to murder Dorothy, but Lucas stabs her with the sword before beating her to death, though it is implied she survived. The next day, Jack discovers Tip has transformed into a girl.
    While I luv'ed seeing the witches ritual and their confrontation with the Wizard overall the episode lagged a bit. I liked learning that there are 4 Cardinal Witches, North, South, East and West. Interesting to see magic exists but is banned. Not sure who Tip is, but at the end when he transformed into a girl with all that hair I was thinking "Lion"?
    cablejockey likes this.

After watching this week's episode, my opinion is still the same: I really want to love this show. I've wanted to love it ever since I heard it was coming, but I just don't. I find it confusing & depressing. I'm still in for a few weeks at least. It has things about it I like. Visually it is interesting, maybe even great.

I'll probably keep watching for the 10 episodes, simply because I really want to love this show. I want it to grab my interest. Sometimes this happens when I give a show a chance.
    cablejockey and pikachu like this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

They didn't really think through the "Game of Thrones meet Oz" comparison in the promos. For some viewers, Oz was the HBO series about a prison.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I appreciate fantasy very much, but this, to me, was just flat out weird. It reminded me of becoming ill while reading a book or two in the series beyond the first book. I'm sorry I can't get into it.
    pikachu likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It really is weird. Maybe too weird for me.
    I'm still giving it a chance though.
    cablejockey likes this.

I want to like it. It is interesting and beyond anything else on tv, but there's not enough dialogue to fill in the story for me!

I want to like it. Its a beautiful surreal look at an old story. But I find it confusing because nobody is saying enough about whats going on and who they are. It all feels muddled so I dont really want to watch.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 01-17-2017 at 06:56 PM. Reason: cut down the white space
    pikachu likes this.

Season 1 Episode 3 - "Mistress - New - Mistress" - January 13, 2017

Listings - EMERALD CITY on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com

01/13/2017 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Friday) : DOROTHY TAKES A DANGEROUS CHANCE TO FIND HER WAY HOME - ISABEL LUCAS GUEST STARS -After a close call, Dorothy (Adria Arjona) and Lucas (Oliver Jackson-Cohen) learn the Wizard (Vincent D'Onofrio) has sent his guards to kill her. In Emerald City, the Wizard seeks advisement from his counsel as he begins to lose control and the witches begin to show their power. Meanwhile, Tip (Jordan Loughran) and Jack (Gerran Howell) venture to the City of Ev to find a cure following a life-changing revelation. Ana Ularu and Mido Hamada also star. TV-14 D, V
    I think this episode is the best of the three so far aired, there is a bit of more direction and feeling of purpose at least on Dorothy's part. Tarsem Singh is such a visual director and watching Dorothy in her red gown (kudos to the wardrobe designer) look like a tornado as she attempts to control a real one is spectacular to watch. Watching Tip and Jack on there travels you are a bit confused as how these characters fit into the story but I am willing to wait. It was a shocker to find out that Tip was always a girl and that the witch Mombi had been giving her a potion all this time to keep her a boy. What a weird gender identification story. I do like watching the tug and pull between The Wizard and the Witches. The 3 Witches Suicide Ritual was shocking/unexpected. I don't think that the lady something Chapman who left Dorothy at the farm is her real mom, that will come out later I am sure.

I liked your synopsis, Bearcata. It was clearer than watching the show. It reminded me of the things I like about this show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast