+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Taboo on FX

Taboo on FX

Taboo | Series Premiere JANUARY 10 | 10PM | FX Networks

Set in 1814, Taboo follows James Keziah Delaney, a man who has been to the ends of the earth and comes back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long dead, he returns home to London from Africa to inherit what is left of his father's shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself. But his father's legacy is a poisoned chalice, and with enemies lurking in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence. Encircled by conspiracy, murder and betrayal, a dark family mystery unfolds in a combustible tale of love and treachery.

Taboo is created by Steven Knight with Tom Hardy and Chips Hardy, who is also the show’s consulting producer. Executive producers are Ridley Scott and Kate Crowe for Scott Free, Tom Hardy and Dean Baker for Hardy Son & Baker, and Steven Knight, with Timothy Bricknell producing. Taboo is directed by Kristoffer Nyholm (Eps. 1-4) and Anders Engström (Eps. 5-8), and reunites Hardy and Knight for their third collaboration following Locke and Peaky Blinders.

Taboo airs January 2017 and is produced by Scott Free London and Hardy Son & Baker for FX Networks.
    ====

Well, episode one didnt disappoint. Im REALLY looking forward to the next episode. High production values, excellent acting and character development, interesting storyline, nekid people and dirty words(cant go wrong there right). I was engrossed watching the first episode.
    Is anyone else watching this? I did a search and didnt find a thread on it. Check it out BeeStungLips! It seems like we're into the same kinds of shows
    Hurting you is the last thing I want to do... but it's still on the list

Re: Taboo on FX

Tom Hardy AND Ridley Scott. I'm in!
    waywyrd and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just got to watch it tonight (I wish they wouldn't put all the good stuff on past my bedtime ). REALLY enjoyed it, it was extremely well done all around. And good Lord, Tom Hardy.

Looking forward to the next episode...
    Punkin likes this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

We watched the first episode. Tom Hardy is terrific and the way the portrayed London in that time period was so authentic. The Brits do know how to make good TV series, especially period pieces and mysteries.
    Punkin and LunaticFringe like this.

We watched Ep. 1 today. Thanks for the 'heads up', PipSqueek! We are all in! (Do you know there is a new stray/found kitten by one of our members with your name at the Fort? The kitty's song is "Pippity doo dah...". Just thought you should know. )
    momrek06 likes this.
    Lynda

Taboo (TV Series 2017

Soooooo awesome!!!! 9.4 on IMDB!!!

I TH!!!
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    We watched Ep. 1 today. Thanks for the 'heads up', PipSqueek! We are all in! (Do you know there is a new stray/found kitten by one of our members with your name at the Fort? The kitty's song is "Pippity doo dah...". Just thought you should know. )
    lol I like that name better! Pippity doo dah...lol
    momrek06 likes this.
    Hurting you is the last thing I want to do... but it's still on the list

Is anyone watching TABOO?

It is sooooooo good!!! A bit dark but still riveting and TH is so FAB as James Delaney!!!!
    Punkin likes this.
    KAREN

Per wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo_(2017_TV_series)

Taboo is a British television drama series first broadcast on BBC One in the United Kingdom on 7 January 2017 and in the United States on FX on 10 January 2017, created by Steven Knight, Tom Hardy and his father, Edward "Chips" Hardy and based on a story written by Tom. Directorial duties are shared by Kristoffer Nyholm (The Killing), and Anders Engström (Jordskott).

The eight-part series, set in 1814, begins with James Delaney (Tom Hardy) returning to Britain after twelve years in Africa, following the death of his father; the war with the United States is nearing its end.
    The 8 episodes run 55 - 57 minutes long and with commercials that translates to about 1hr 20+minutes.

Cast:

Main cast
    Tom Hardy as James Keziah Delaney. Horace Delaney's son
    Oona Chaplin as Zilpha Geary. James Delaney's half-sister
    David Hayman as Brace. Horace Delaney's loyal servant
    Jonathan Pryce as Sir Stuart Strange. Chairman of the East India Company

Remaining cast

Edward Fox as Horace Delaney, owner of a shipping company based in London
    Jessie Buckley as Lorna Bow. Horace's widow
    Jefferson Hall as Thorne Geary. Zilpha's husband
    Nicholas Woodeson as Thoyt. Delaney's lawyer
    Michael Kelly as Dr Edgar Dumbarton. American physician working at St Bartholomew's Hospital in London
    Franka Potente as Helga. Brothel madam
    Stephen Graham as Atticus. Underworld informant to Delaney
    Scroobius Pip as French Bill. Assistant to Atticus
    Christopher Fairbank as Ibbotson. Associate of Delaney
    Richard Dixon as Pettifer. Head of the Africa desk, East India Company
    Ed Hogg as Godfrey. Minute taker at the East India Company's meetings
    Roger Ashton-Griffiths as Appleby. East India Company
    Leo Bill as Wilton. Records officer at the East India Company
    Mark Gatiss as the Prince Regent (later George IV)
    Jason Watkins as Solomon Coop. Private Secretary to the Sovereign
    Danny Ligairi as Martinez. Polynesian associate of Delaney
    Before the broadcast of Taboo, Steven Knight said, "This man, James Delaney, is a deeply flawed and deeply troubled human being. His greatest struggle will be against the East India Company which, throughout the 19th century, was the equivalent of the CIA, the NSA [US National Security Agency] and the biggest, baddest multinational corporation on earth, all rolled into one self-righteous, religiously-motivated monolith." This description drew comment from Dr. Tirthankar Roy, an economic historian at the LSE, who argued that it would give an excessively negative view of the East India Company. Nick Robins, author of The Corporation That Changed the World, added that the organization had made a positive contribution but that by the time it was dissolved, it had outlived its usefulness.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Season 1 Episode 1 - airs 7 January 2017 (UK) - 10 January 2017 (U.S.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo_(2017_TV_series)

James Delaney, believed dead, returns to London to attend his father's funeral. Other than owning a small part of the west coast of North America, Horace has left nothing of value. The land, Nootka Sound, is in dispute between Great Britain and the United States, who are at war. The East India Company had an agreement to buy the land from Zilpha Geary, Delaney's half-sister, but Delaney knows the war is coming to an end, greatly increasing the value of the land, and scorns their offer. Delaney discovers his father had died from arsenic poisoning, so his mind could have been affected during his final months.

I was not sure what to expect but episode 1 was weird and seemed all over the place, part prodigal son comes back home for his father's funeral and no one wants him there and part woo woo thinking this was Supernatural or a very old version of the X-files.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast