+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Winter TV 2017

Re: Winter TV 2017

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    I watched the premiere of Riverdale last night and thought it was just ok. It plays like the love child of Twilight and Twin Peaks. I dunno - I guess I'm not the demographic it's aiming for. Thought it was trying too hard to be edgy and dark. Also, having Luke Perry be the responsible Dad makes me feel old old old!
    Funny you should mention the desired demographic. That's the first thing I thought too. I'm definitely not their goal audience. Nothing but young pretty people, even the adults. Very much a CW show.
    However, I thought it was interesting enough to watch again for a few weeks at least.

I liked the way they clearly introduced the well known characters. They didn't exactly show up with big name tags, but it was very clear. They're all there. Updated & modernized to CW's idea of modern teens. Their personalities meshed well with the way we all grew up seeing them.

One big surprised & HUGE disappointment: Miss Grundy is quite young, hot, and a slut who has sex with her teenage students. That part put me off big time. For anyone who's raised teens, that is disgusting & extremely negative. Teenage attracting for a teacher is common, but those teachers who do that are pedophiles. YUCK!

All in all, casting was pretty good. The mystery has potential & there will probably be more.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Funny you should mention the desired demographic. That's the first thing I thought too. I'm definitely not their goal audience. Nothing but young pretty people, even the adults. Very much a CW show.
    However, I thought it was interesting enough to watch again for a few weeks at least.

I liked the way they clearly introduced the well known characters. They didn't exactly show up with big name tags, but it was very clear. They're all there. Updated & modernized to CW's idea of modern teens. Their personalities meshed well with the way we all grew up seeing them.

One big surprised & HUGE disappointment: Miss Grundy is quite young, hot, and a slut who has sex with her teenage students. That part put me off big time. For anyone who's raised teens, that is disgusting & extremely negative. Teenage attracting for a teacher is common, but those teachers who do that are pedophiles. YUCK!

All in all, casting was pretty good. The mystery has potential & there will probably be more.
    Watched the pilot, and it kept my interest. A murder mystery, a love triangle, an illicit affair, and struggling musicians. It's perfect distraction material! Also, great casting with both the younger and older roles. Bring on episode 2😀
    cablejockey likes this.

Teenage attracting for a teacher is common, but those teachers who do that are pedophiles. YUCK!
    This was definitely something that made be uncomfortable with the show. I'm not usually one to clutch my pearls but glamorizing such a tryst makes it seem to young viewers that it's ok/acceptable.
    beerbelly and Miss Scarlet like this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I love just about any show that has a character narrating his or her viewpoint of whats going on! in this case its a very moody and dark Jughead! The comic we all knew seems to be the bare bones this show is built from and everything has changed and been modified.

This week's show introduced Mr Weatherbee . I'm enjoying it and the murder mystery is interesting. I still have a huge problem with the whole Miss Grundy storyline. MiaT2 is right, "glamorizing such a tryst makes it seem to young viewers that it's ok/acceptable". And clearly young viewers is their target audience. Other than that, I like what they're doing with the show.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

There's a show on FX called Legion that's starting this week. I've been seeing the previews when I watch Taboo and have been looking forward to it.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I liked the premiere of Legion, although I did have to watch it a second time to catch everything. Nice to see Dan Stevens in a totally different role than his last one on TV!

I watched the premiere of the new 24 series and, surprisingly, I enjoyed it. I don't think it got great ratings, in spite of following the Super Bowl, but I hope Fox gives it a chance. I think a lot of people tuned into the original series initially because of Kiefer, so without a big star, maybe it'll need more time to catch on.

I watched the first five or so episodes of The Young Pope because I was intrigued by the concept, especially in light of what's going on in this country politically. I finally deleted it from my watch list. I don't care about the religion stuff: I'm not offended by things like that. I just think the show is too disjointed. It's trying to be provocative, but it's not written well enough to be anything really groundbreaking. I've always found Jude Law kind of creepy, which probably works for this role, but I like the supporting cast. Still, they aren't enough to keep my interest. The production values are high, but the writing isn't.

ETA: I forgot one more! I watched the premiere of Imposters on FX the other night and really liked it. Curious to see where it'll go and if it can keep up the "chase." Nice to see Brian Benben. I've always liked him.
    Last edited by Critical; 02-10-2017 at 07:18 PM.
    beerbelly likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'll need to watch the first episode of Legion again as, by the end, I thought I was having hallucinations. How much of his POV is based in reality and how much in his ow mind?

I also enjoyed the new iteration of 24. Who is the mole/traitor? Irony in that the CIA was the mole at NCIS:LA.

Continuing with both of these.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

My friend loves 'The Young Pope' but I couldn't get into it. Seems so bizarre and dramatic.

I too watched 'The Imposters' and loved it. Super silly - Bravo silly. Between the horrible fake accents and horrible make-up, it's just a hoot. And super fun to live- tweet.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fogey

Legion is a mind trip! I must pay 100% attention when watching it. 24 was very good, but I never watched the original faithfully so my perspective may be skewed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast