+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: The Crown (Netflix)

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

The Crown (Netflix)

Rave reviews for The Crown, and they're already filming SEASON 2!!!!

The Crown descends on Trafalgar Square to film second season | Daily Mail Online
    Punkin and Coco46 like this.

Re: The Crown (Netflix)

Love Love Love this show....
    Punkin, Imperfect1 and Coco46 like this.
    We live in the land of the free, because of the brave....

We've been talking about it on the "Netflix 2016" thread. Maybe someone could bring those posts over here?
    Lynda

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

Please use this thread since it is now set up. Those posts predate the posts here.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I only suggested moving them here because some article links were posted there that further the story and some may not have looked at the Netflix 2016 thread for The Crown. But that's OK.
    Lynda

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Rave reviews for The Crown, and they're already filming SEASON 2!!!!

The Crown descends on Trafalgar Square to film second season | Daily Mail Online
    Great news!!!
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I only suggested moving them here because some article links were posted there that further the story and some may not have looked at the Netflix 2016 thread for The Crown. But that's OK.
    Here's a couple of those excellent articles about 'The Crown' that were posted in the Netflix thread:

Review: 'The Crown' is sumptuous miniseries with stellar cast

Peter Morgan Serves the Queen, Again - The New Yorker
    Punkin likes this.

LOVING this show. It's terrible that it's all available at once, I'm going to be all done by the end of the weekend, and then I have to wait for more episodes

The attention to detail on the costumes and sets is wonderful. And the subtle nuances with glances, sighs, and body language is a delightful treat - it's been a long time since I've had something to watch that I have to be actively engaged in, in order not to miss something.

The highest compliment I can give this show is that it is making me want to go read history books and learn more about all of this era! (and related to that, thanks for the links to articles so I could learn more about the series and the history too!)
    Imperfect1, Cornholio and Coco46 like this.

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

I'm up through the Coronation. I was six and living slightly north of San Francisco, we had TV. My Mom and I were riveted by the ceremony; it was like a fairy tale come to life. I also remember that the Wallace Simpson scandal was in the news - all dredged up again - and that they lived in France. It has been fascinating to see her grow into the role and how her husband forgot his promise to the King and tried to make his marriage normal for the fifties when at the same time he was clamoring for change. I was very glad to see that he did kneel before her and acknowledge her his monarch.

Anyway...I didn't realize Churchill was such a curmudgeon (still living on his war glory) during this period. I remember her saying as dialogue in The Queen movie, that he was her first Prime Minister...they have really run the gamut during her reign on the throne.

Off to view the post-coronation.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I'm up through the Coronation. I was six and living slightly north of San Francisco, we had TV. My Mom and I were riveted by the ceremony; it was like a fairy tale come to life. I also remember that the Wallace Simpson scandal was in the news - all dredged up again - and that they lived in France. It has been fascinating to see her grow into the role and how her husband forgot his promise to the King and tried to make his marriage normal for the fifties when at the same time he was clamoring for change. I was very glad to see that he did kneel before her and acknowledge her his monarch.
    There's A LOT to Prince Philip (and his family) that I didn't know. And it's not all good, either. PBS is currently re-running a very revealing documentary on Philip and his family, and it's airing this Thursday evening, Nov. 17th.

The title is Prince Philip: The Plot to Make a King and it's playing on one of the alternative PBS channels.

"Prince Philip: The Plot to Make a King tells the inside story of the fierce tensions unleashed when the Queen fell in love with Prince Philip – tensions that would place huge strain on the royal marriage, and would shape the future of Elizabeth’s reign. Young Philip, it was felt, was “rough, ill-mannered, uneducated and would probably not be faithful,” according to one courtier. The royal and political elite disliked his German roots - and they disliked his larger than life, ferociously ambitious uncle Lord Louis Mountbatten."

"Philips’s German links were also a source of anxiety for Elizabeth’s parents. The present Queen’s mother is reported to have privately referred to Philip as ‘The Hun.’ The film features an interview with Philip’s nephew, Prince Rainer von Hessen, who shares the unpublished memoirs of his mother – Philip’s sister. In them she describes a private lunch with Hitler and her initial admiration for him. Her husband would become an SS colonel, and the head of one of the Nazi intelligence agencies – explaining much of the hostility Philip would suffer in Britain during and after the war."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast