+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: The Crown (Netflix)

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: The Crown (Netflix)

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom View Post
    Even with a day of letting this Margaret news sink in, Iím still sore about it. Not many actors I truly dislike, but sheís one of them. Hopefully Margaretís story is shown less next season as she divorces and things lead up to the Diana years. I can only hope!
    I truly sympathize with you, JORY'sMom! I too HATE IT when some actor/actress that I despise is cast in a show that I want very much to watch. In a way, it totally ruins his/her part of the show for me. In fact, usually, when I see that someone that I dislike that much is part of the cast, I just don't watch the show. And, I always DVR whatever I watch on tv, so at least, if there is someone I can't stand, I can FF or mute that person, which helps a lot!

PS Every once in a while we get lucky when the person we don't like is SO GOOD in their role, that he or she totally morphs into the character he/she is playing. Maybe that will happen for you in the case of Helena Bonham Carter playing Margaret.
    JORY'sMom and tinderbox like this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I agree that HBC can be a bit "much." But if you haven't seen it yet, watch "The King's Speech." When they announced she was going to play Margaret, I had forgotten until I read about it that she had played the Queen Mum in "TKS". She played it perfectly, and you really did forget it was HBC on the screen.
    Punkin and Imperfect1 like this.
    I'm Paula.

I'll miss the "first cast," but I'm excited to see the next cast. I've loved HBC since Lady Jane, a movie my bff and I were obsessed with back 30+ years ago (if you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it - HBC and Cary Elwes, what's not to love?). She's done more over-the-top stuff in recent years, mostly because of her relationship with Tim Burton, but HBC is also a terrific dramatic actress. A Room With a View and Hamlet anyone?

ETA: Here's Claire talking about the part, including how it was always two series and done for her:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCJfZG3StM
    Last edited by Critical; 01-07-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'll miss the "first cast," but I'm excited to see the next cast. I've loved HBC since Lady Jane, a movie my bff and I were obsessed with back 30+ years ago (if you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it - HBC and Cary Elwes, what's not to love?). She's done more over-the-top stuff in recent years, mostly because of her relationship with Tim Burton, but HBC is also a terrific dramatic actress. A Room With a View and Hamlet anyone?

ETA: Here's Claire talking about the part, including how it was always two series and done for her:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCJfZG3StM
    LOVED the video!!!!!!!!
    AZChristian likes this.
    KAREN

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    LOVED the video!!!!!!!!
    Oh me too. Foy in the chippy! LOL
    momrek06 and AZChristian like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Priceless!!!!
    I'm Paula.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've loved HBC since Lady Jane, a movie my bff and I were obsessed with back 30+ years ago (if you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it - HBC and Cary Elwes, what's not to love?). She's done more over-the-top stuff in recent years, mostly because of her relationship with Tim Burton, but HBC is also a terrific dramatic actress. A Room With a View and Hamlet anyone?
    OMG, I was obsessed with 'Lady Jane' too, and they were both wonderful in it. HBC has been outstanding in pretty much everything I've seen her in. One of my other favorites was 'Howard's End.' Fabulous!!!

Soooo, having said all that, and loving HBC, I still can't see her as Princess Margaret at all --- however I'm very much hoping she will morph into the character.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I agree that HBC can be a bit "much." But if you haven't seen it yet, watch "The King's Speech." When they announced she was going to play Margaret, I had forgotten until I read about it that she had played the Queen Mum in "TKS". She played it perfectly, and you really did forget it was HBC on the screen.
    Iíve seen it, but only for my undying love of Colin Firth. All her other odd roles, and Tim Burtonís insistence in putting her in every one of his films when they were together, has done me in.

Iíll give her mad props if she can do as well as John Lithgow did (IMO.) So convincing as Churchill, and not once did I think to myself that I couldnít get over that being John Lithgow.
    Imperfect1 and Fanny Mare like this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom View Post
    I’ve seen it, but only for my undying love of Colin Firth. All her other odd roles, and Tim Burton’s insistence in putting her in every one of his films when they were together, has done me in.

I’ll give her mad props if she can do as well as John Lithgow did (IMO.) So convincing as Churchill, and not once did I think to myself that I couldn’t get over that being John Lithgow.
    I have undying love for Firth! Sharing is available...
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Sooooo, according to Claire Foy and Matt Smith, Olivia Cole IS set to play Elizabeth but in regard to Helena Bonham Carter, it's NOT official and may just be a RUMOR.

(And Helen Mirren said NO, she won't be playing the Queen.)

'The Crown' Stars Claire Foy and Matt Smith React to Helena Bonham Carter Casting Rumors (Exclusive) | Entertainment Tonight

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast