+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: The Good Place

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The Good Place

About someone who winds up in "heaven" when there's clearly been a clerical error as it were, and she (Eleanor played by Kristen Bell) should be in the "bad place". I'm finding this very funny. The "good place" is run by Michael, a "being" played by Ted Danson, assisted by a kind of robot person called Janet... and now we find that Eleanor's not the only "error".... I don't know how long they can keep this going, but it's very imaginative so far. Half hour sitcom. I recommend starting with the first show (which was an hour) so you will get all the "rules"--it's just done the 3rd episode so you can still catch up.
    cablejockey and beerbelly like this.

FORT Fogey

Re: The Good Place

I've watched all the episodes so far, and with each one I am liking it less. The first thing that bugged me about it was the assertion that the vast majority of people go to "the bad place," and we hear a few seconds of audio of people there screaming bloody murder. Tehani (is that her name?), the character who lives in the gigantic mansion, wound up in "the good place" by raising billions of dollars for charity, but she's kind of obnoxious to me. So what does it take to be sent to the good place? Not enough about that explained other than the example of Tehani and all her money.

I'm very particular about these "what happens after we die" shows because the message is often disturbing. One movie on this theme that I really like is a little-known film featuring Meryl Streep and Albert Brooks called "Defending Your Life." I think the message is much more positive than what I'm getting from this TV show so far.

liver spotted hands Realitychick's Avatar

I gave this a chance but have taken it off my list of shows that I am watching. I think it's because I don't like the lead woman character. I just don't find her likable. I tried to like it but too forced.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

I like it. It's not 'dvr-able' but I enjoy it. I love Janet - she is in Broad City and a really gifted performer.

I don't get all the clowns in her apartment however. I really think it's silly and love Ted Danson. I laughed when the lead was trying to pronounce her soul mates last name. "Ariana Grande? That's a thing!'.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fogey

The soulmate concept as written in this show (you're always with your soulmate when you go to the good place) is nice in theory, but doesn't quite make sense to me given that the two sets of soulmates I've seen (Eleanor and Chiddi, and Tehani and the fake monk) are not people who ever would have even met, no less been together, in life.

Don't know if I'm going to watch this again. It seems like a one-trick pony ... a "mistake" was made (by whom? God?) so Eleanor (and the fake monk) wound up there and perhaps try to earn the right to stay, and everything Eleanor thinks or does has negative repercussions in the "neighborhood." How many sinkholes, flying shrimp, and other chaos can she cause? I don't know ... just disappointed in this show. I think the premise could have allowed it to be better.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The clowns are because the person who is they think Eleanor is likes clowns. That's as wrong as all the other things they think about Eleanor. I assume that Chidi and she are not really soul mates either---ditto the fake mute monk and Tehani....
    The thing that bothers me about the soul mate idea is that you and your soul mate would both have to have died about the same time, no? Unless your soul mate waits for you in limbo...
    But i try not to get too logical, just enjoy the riffs...my fav so far is that no organized religion got more than 5% right about the afterlife.
    So far I'm enjoying it--the flashbacks to all the bad things Eleanor and the monk did-- the bits of philosophy 101--and that the concept is a really big change from the usual sitcom liked Kevin Can Wait. And I like Kristen Bell. About the only sitcom I watch regularly is The Big Bang Theory, although I"m giving Speechless a try this season.
    I agree though, how far can this concept go....
    beerbelly likes this.

Thanks PWS. But no idea why anyone would like clowns that much!
    PWS likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I'm enjoying it. I don't think it's supposed to be accurate It's just funny.
    PWS, beerbelly and Katydyd like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I'm enjoying this too - maybe because I like Kristen Bell so much But I'm also curious as to how they are going to keep going with it. Although, I have a theory that Eleanor and the "monk" are definitely not the only ones there by accident.
    PWS, AmyKay and JavaJo like this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

FORT Fogey

Yes, it's primarily a comedy, but according to Ted Danson (and from what I see), it has a deeper message that whatever we think, say, or do in life has a ripple effect that goes out into the world and has an impact, either good or bad. Only the cream of the crop get to go to "the good place" (except for "clerical errors," apparently), and everyone else goes to hell, i.e., the bad place.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast