Re: Westworld on HBO

"This world does not belong to them."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blow a kiss, fire a gun, we need someone to lean on

ONLY READ if you have seen the FINALE.

KAREN

Dolores was Wyatt? Never saw that coming. I figured William had turned into the Man in Black, but the reveal was still fun to watch (he used to be such a kind person!). Dr. Ford sure went out with a bang. And I thought Maeve was acting on her own wishes...this whole escape thing was programmed? Wow.

That article says the second season won't start til 2018?!
    beerbelly likes this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I'm still not clear as to what the 'maze' was.

My favorite part was the tech looking at his hands after finding Bernard and Maeve says 'no, you are not one of us'.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I just finished watching this. I have to admit I hated it! I had already figured Bernard was Arnold and the MIB was William. Maeve going back to find her daughter...sigh. She is a "robot" so she could have never given birth. Her "daughter" would have been re-written into a different "storyline" and would have no recall memory of Maeve since she is much younger.
    I won't watch a second season.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    I'm still not clear as to what the 'maze' was ...
    I think the symbolism of the maze icon was meant to establish contemplation upon the concept that the seeker should not be trying to find its way out, but to find its way in. To gather all of one’s evolving experiences to delve inward and discover the core of oneself, the balance, the ying and the yang.

Apparently, any one who has not reached this level of awareness "is not one of us."

(I see shadows of a new Sci Fi approach to reincarnation in Westworld.)
    Last edited by KTinCT; 12-08-2016 at 12:01 AM.
    beerbelly likes this.
    In the beginning was the WORD. Without definition there was nothing. We define the words.

I just watching this show and find it fascinating and repugnant at the same time! Anthony Hopkins is so good as the odd and creepy mastermind of his little world. This show opens up so many thoughts as to the nature of humans and some people's need to hurt others and kill to feel alive. And just what makes something human? If they feel think and hurt are not qualified for a little respect, a little empathy? I havent read all the messages in this thread so I wont be ahead of watching it.
    Amy Lee and ClosetRTWatcher like this.

Watched it when it originally aired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld_(TV_series)

Season 1 Episode 1 - "The Original" - October 2, 2016

Teddy and Dolores, two romantically linked android hosts of theme park Westworld, are attacked by the Man in Black, a mysterious park guest. When the hosts begin behaving strangely, head programmer Bernard Lowe traces the problem to errors in park founder Dr. Ford's reverie code and requests the affected hosts be removed from service. Theresa Cullen, the park administrator, orders an attack on the town to be brought forward to help cover for the removal of all the affected hosts. Dolores' father Peter finds a photograph that a newcomer left behind and malfunctions. When Dr. Ford interrogates him, Peter quotes Shakespeare and vows revenge upon his creator. Peter is retired from service. Dolores is interrogated and found to be functioning normally. She is wiped and relives her day with a new father, but unknown to management breaks her programming to casually kill a fly.
    Cleaning out the DVR for Fall/Winter 2017

Season 1 Episode 2 - "Chestnut" - October 7, 2016

Logan and William arrive at Westworld as guests, but William is reluctant to indulge, finally developing feelings for Dolores. Though Bernard secretly questions Dolores to make sure nobody has tampered with her, her contact with procuring madame host Maeve results in her malfunction as well. Maeve is taken in for maintenance but unexpectedly awakes and witnesses damaged hosts, including Teddy, being cleaned. She is rendered unconscious and taken away before she can attract any attention. Dolores finds a pistol outside the house. The Man in Black abducts outlaw host Lawrence from his execution, demanding that he tell him the location of a maze. Lawrence's daughter gives the Man in Black his next clue after he kills her mother. Ford vetoes Sizemore's new narrative calling it cheap titillation that underestimates the guests. Ford shows Bernard, who is revealed to be involved with Theresa, his alternate narrative involving a church.
    It has been almost a year since the premiere episode and I finally starting watching again. This show deserves your absolute attention. You see what is going on but you know there is something there underneath and you just sit there watching this beautiful thing unfurl in front of you. This is the height of story telling, amazing. I don't know what is going on but I await the next episode with bated breath.
    cablejockey likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

Season 1 Episode 3 - "The Stray" - October 16, 2016

William drags Logan off on a bounty hunt. Dolores asks Teddy to teach her to shoot, but her programming prevents her from firing a gun. Ford changes Teddy's backstory for his new narrative, in which the latter is pitted against outlaw host Wyatt. Ford also tells Bernard, who is revealed to have lost his son previously, about his old partner, Arnold, who died in Westworld in an accident. Bernard is worried about the effect their conversations have had on Dolores, but she promises to keep quiet and follow her loop. Elsie, who secretly reports to Bernard, and Stubbs are sent to capture a stray host. They find him trapped in a ravine. When Stubbs tries to retrieve his head, he wakes up and attacks them before smashing his own head in with a rock. At the homestead, Dolores is attacked by bandits, one of whom drags her into the barn to rape her. She steals his gun but is unable to shoot him until she sees him as the Man in Black. Though being shot, she escapes, stumbles into William and Logan's campsite and collapses in William's arms.
    Dolores escape is confusing as you see overlapping memories as she was shot in one memory and not shot in another memory. Mariposa has also been experiencing the overlapping memories in the last two episodes. It is a little sickening that folks pay 40 thousand dollars to come to an adult park to rape, kill, and pillage. Doesn't say much about the folks who do that. Why do park employees have hosts kill, torture, and rape each other?

Season 1 Episode 4 - "Dissonance Theory" - October 23, 2016

Logan decides to finish the bounty hunt and mocks William for bringing Dolores along. They capture the fugitive, but Logan decides to have a better adventure by taking him to his boss. Meanwhile, the Man in Black, accompanied by Lawrence, is hunting snakes and finds Armistice with her snake tattoo. He breaks Escaton out of prison for her, and she tells him that the tattoo represents all of her victims, who were Wyatt's men. The Man in Black and Lawrence leave for Wyatt, rescuing a tortured Teddy. Cullen takes over the investigation into the stray, not trusting Elsie and Bernard. She meets Ford about his new narrative, but he demands she not interfere, revealing his knowledge about her past and affair with Lowe. Maeve is having visions, and during Escaton and Armistice's attack on the town she finds a bullet in her unscarred belly with his assistance, proving that her visions are real. They kiss passionately as the sheriff's men open fire through the door.
    "So the little girl said to find the maze you have to follow the blood arroyo to where the snake lays it's eggs" Beware prophecy and riddles.

I notice some very strong females in the story lines. Mariposa, the madame, and Delores, the rancher's daughter. Maybe not traditionally strong female roles but they are the ones that plot lines revolve around. Lots of growth in these characters.

Interesting that the Indian childs doll looks like one of the hazmat crew and that the Indians have a religion based on them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast