+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3777787980818283848586878889 LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 881
Like Tree1605Likes

Thread: This Is Us

  1. #861
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    493

    Re: This Is Us

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I guess the scene I was remembering was when he had already gone back in and came out, and they were all on the lawn together.

    Other than Jack's drinking problem, which he seems to have worked through, I think Jack really was as great a husband and father as they remember. I can't imagine the writers will show him to be anything less in future episodes. I'd like to see more about the relationship between Rebecca and Miguel. Perhaps he was attentive to the family at first, but they lost touch because Rebecca pushed him away. Then, since I don't think Miguel was such an appealing character previously, maybe they bonded years later over loving and missing Jack after reuniting on Facebook. I wonder if she really fell in love with him, or if she was just lonely. Sorry but it's kind of icky to me that she married Jack's best friend, unless it was more out of emotional need and mutual memories than "true love" that was even close to what she felt for Jack.
    I remember Miguel and Jack drinking at the bar and telling Jack he was lucky to have Rebecca. I think he had a crush then. Can see her falling for his best friend they knew each other and he knew her whole family. Heck my aunt last her first husband and married his brother. I always thought that was odd but they are a good match to this day. She has three kids from first husband three with this one but they all call him dad now.
    dagwood and Cornholio like this.

  2. #862
    Premium Member dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,162

    Re: This Is Us

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I guess the scene I was remembering was when he had already gone back in and came out, and they were all on the lawn together.

    Other than Jack's drinking problem, which he seems to have worked through, I think Jack really was as great a husband and father as they remember. I can't imagine the writers will show him to be anything less in future episodes. I'd like to see more about the relationship between Rebecca and Miguel. Perhaps he was attentive to the family at first, but they lost touch because Rebecca pushed him away. Then, since I don't think Miguel was such an appealing character previously, maybe they bonded years later over loving and missing Jack after reuniting on Facebook. I wonder if she really fell in love with him, or if she was just lonely. Sorry but it's kind of icky to me that she married Jack's best friend, unless it was more out of emotional need and mutual memories than "true love" that was even close to what she felt for Jack.
    I'm glad they threw the drinking problem in there, it's nice to see that he had flaws. I agree with whoever said upthread (Sorry, too lazy to check) that maybe this Jack is the Jack from their memories, that's why he is such a heroic character.

    I don't have too much of a problem with her being with Miguel. I think what happened is they bonded over memories and nature took it's course. People can change so maybe he isn't such a tool anymore. I agree, I hope they do show more of their story and they let his character develop instead of hang in the back reading the paper or watching Tiny House Hunters.

    I will say I like how he told Kevin at the grocery store that he was there to protect Rebecca because she was so torn up after the therapy session. I think the story of the big three coming to accept the marriage will be interesting. I can imagine Kate took it the hardest.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    #oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

  3. #863
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,058

    Re: This Is Us

    I loved when the doctor showed up at Jack's funeral. As soon as he said "Hello Rebecca" in that strong and reassuring voice of his, I knew who it was and that he was going to make a big difference for her. That character is a gem. I saw Milo Ventimiglia on Ellen today, and he said he had to keep the secret of Jack's death for the past 1.5 years. I think he said Mandy Moore knew, too.

    It looks from the coming attractions that Deja is back for sure. Wonder how that's going to play out. I wish they could foster/adopt a little boy, too. I want to see Randall with a son.
    karna68 and Cornholio like this.

  4. #864
    9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,279

    Re: This Is Us

    Last night's episode packed much more of a wallop for me. Extremely sad, extremely poignant, well acted. I loved everything about it even through my puddle of tears. I had a few questions. I guess religious faith was not a big part of their life as there was no church/temple/ mosque ceremony. Why were they at the cemetery when the urn was not going to be interred? Rebecca said something after the gravesite service about a reception. Was that a funeral home they returned to afterward? I have never seen this. Normally a wake would occur before a funeral and depending whether or not there is a burial (either casket or urn) the family goes or does not go to the cemetery. My family normally has a luncheon for all who have attended the funeral at a restaurant. For my mom my in-laws graciously went to my dad's home and arranged a lunch buffet. In film and on TV I have always seen families gathering in a home afterward for a bite to eat.

    I know this is a small nit pick but this is how my mind works. I just cannot seem to take things as presented.

    Oh and I loved seeing Gerald McRaney return and happy he remarried the lovely Susan Blakely. Interesting to find out Jack visited Dr. K on occasion for advice.

    Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
    Cornholio likes this.

  5. #865
    Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,009

    Re: This Is Us

    Normally a wake would occur before a funeral
    I'm not sure about that, I did love them showing the urn Because posters on another forum were saying how could Kate have Jacks ashes, if they were under the tree. I have my fathers ashes..
    I thought this episode was a tad boring..jmho
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  6. #866
    9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,279

    Re: This Is Us

    My friend's husband did not want to be waked. He was cremated and the funeral service was in his Lutheran church. Afterward we gathered at their home for a meal. A wake is for paying respects to the deceased and their loved ones left behind. Not everyone has one but every wake I have ever attended is before a body is interred or cremated...before a funeral service.

    Different strokes Fanny. I enjoyed this episode much more than Sunday's even though I cried more.

    Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

  7. #867
    Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,009

    Re: This Is Us

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    My friend's husband did not want to be waked. He was cremated and the funeral service was in his Lutheran church. Afterward we gathered at their home for a meal. A wake is for paying respects to the deceased and their loved ones left behind. Not everyone has one but every wake I have ever attended is before a body is interred or cremated...before a funeral service.

    Different strokes Fanny. I enjoyed this episode much more than Sunday's even though I cried more.

    Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
    Yup, different strokes..
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  8. #868
    FORT Fanatic crzndeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Near Seattle
    Posts
    585

    Re: This Is Us

    Wonder if anybody caught this? I had read an article and saw a clip from the Sunday show, that Jack yelled Bec when she was at the candy machine. She turned around, but it didnít register that he was calling out to her.

    Milo also said in interviews that there will never be any scenes from Jackís perspective when he died. Nothing was filmed.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

  9. #869
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,058

    Re: This Is Us

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I'm not sure about that, I did love them showing the urn Because posters on another forum were saying how could Kate have Jacks ashes, if they were under the tree. I have my fathers ashes..
    I thought this episode was a tad boring..jmho
    It appeared to me that they each scattered a handful of ashes under the tree. There would still be ashes left in the urn. It's not unusual to scatter some of the ashes in a special place or places ... or put some in a pendant worn as a necklace, or divided up into separate small containers for several family members ... while keeping some or most of them in the main urn, or any combination thereof.

    At first I thought it was weird that they went to the Springsteen concert after the funeral, as that's not something I could see myself doing, but then I saw it as a tribute to Jack, as he really wanted them all to go and had planned it as a surprise family event. It also confirmed Rebecca's inner strength that the doctor was talking about.
    Last edited by AlwaysVeg; 02-08-2018 at 01:05 AM.
    Coco46 likes this.

  10. #870
    Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,009

    Re: This Is Us

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    It appeared to me that they each scattered a handful of ashes under the tree. There would still be ashes left in the urn. It's not unusual to scatter some of the ashes in a special place or places ... or put some in a pendant worn as a necklace, or divided up into separate small containers for several family members ... while keeping some or most of them in the main urn, or any combination thereof.
    Yes, that's what we did with my fathers ashes. Some around his rose bushes, and I was able to keep some in an urn..
    law638 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.