+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 89 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889 LastLast
Like Tree1605Likes

Thread: This Is Us

Re: This Is Us

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    If you can rewatch the episode.... He looked simply AWFUL.

Also, my apologies to anybody who owns a pet. I didn't mean to be cruel. But, I understand Kate's guilt. She asked her dad to go back for the dog. I don't think he would have gone back into the house only for the memorabilia and may not have gone back in for the dog had she not mentioned him. Heck, the backdraft happened seconds after he went back in.
    I said ALMOST I was meaning how he was sitting up on his own and not hooked up to machines.
    "Blindsided, oh, friendship blindsided you're going home, home!" -Paul BB18

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak View Post
    As usual, the writing for this show was stellar for this episode….except for the beginning fire scene. What a joke. Yup, Debbie Downer here. If I didn’t have a serious belief in this show moving forward, and love it so much, I would be tempted to say “Jumped the Shark”. But I know that is not possible with this series being in only its second season. It’s too good and it still has too far to go. But seriously, WTF were the writers thinking? Did they not research fire and its properties prior to writing this scene? I hope they read these forums because a lot of us out here are not stupid. There is NO WAY (I repeat, NO WAY!!!!!!!) Jack would have survived EVEN GETTING TO RANDALL’S ROOM given the intensity of that fire that was conveyed to the viewer, let alone…..back to the Master Bedroom with Randall….and then to Kate’s room….and then escaping there….with Kate…..with a mattress as a shield, catching fire….back to the Master Bedroom….and then taking the time to tie sheets together……(read: even if you are still alive at this point, Jack, ya’ll just jump, okay? It’s only one floor. Who cares about a broken leg when your lives are at stake and time is UNBELIEVABLY CRUCIAL AT THIS POINT)…and then lowering everyone down one by one. And then back in the house to save the dog and collect momentos? Seriously? PLEASE!!!! I get that they wanted to write him up as this unbelievable super hero god like dad that would not hesitate to save his family at any risk to himself, but seriously, this was a joke. They took it too far. I believe they could have accomplished the same effect with far more intelligent and informed writing. How about, Jack’s goes out of the bedroom for a pee and on his way to the bathroom he smells smoke (“Jack sniffs the air”, as a script might say) and then goes DOWNSTAIRS TO INVESTIGATE AND THEN AND THERE DISCOVERS THE FIRE!! Would that have maybe worked, writers? A fire that hasn’t progressed upstairs yet, thus providing Jack with ample time to go back upstairs and save everyone as best as a super hero dad can? As I said, there is no way Jack would have survived even trying to get to Randall’s room. The heat alone would have prevented him from even getting to him. He would have had to turn back.
    I quantify my opinion on this as someone who has worked on seagoing ships for 34 years. Therefore, I have had firefighting training and further therefore, I think I know a bit about it. As well, my mother passed away from smoke inhalation trying to escape from her burning apartment building. Ok, she was 80 years old and had severe coronary atherosclerosis which contributed to her passing, but still, based on the location of her body found, compared to where the fire actually was, I think I have an informed mind on this topic because of that.
    As for the dog, and going back in to get it…I understand this aspect is crucial to Kate’s story, but honestly, I don’t even want to address that. Probably because I think Jack should not have even been in a position to address that himself, given the scenario the writers gave us with the intensity of that fire. He should have died on his way to Randall’s room.

On more positive notes, although I would love to see Randall with a boy to raise, I’m liking Deja back and I’m looking forward to seeing where that goes.

And,….I’m also curious to see how (and/or why) Rebecca and Miguel get together.

Kevin and Kate, I’m not vested in either of them, but still interested in character development with both. We need happy there.

Toby, I like. Keep doing what you’re doing.
    Yeah the whole size of the fire bugged me too. No way he would make it out of the house again. We have been saying for a long time he must go back for the dog.

We already know how Rebecca gets with Miguel. She goes on FB and Miguel is on . This is 6 years later I think. Rebecca is lonely and they have Jack and probably other things in common. We do need more back story though. When Miguel first showed up on the second show and we didn't know Jack was dead we all thought he moved in on her while Jack was alive....lol Come a long way since then.
    Cornholio likes this.

I saw an interview with Mandy Moore and she said when she walked into the hospital room in the scene after being told of Jack's death, she had no idea Jack (Milo) would actually be lying in the bed, dead. I guess she thought his body would have been moved or something. She said that scene was her real reaction to seeing Jack dead and the first take of that scene was used in the show.

Also, have to pat myself on the back, I realized that was adult Tess before they revealed it. The adult actress playing Tess looks so much like the child Tess.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    All the other stuff was in the same place, under the tv by the dog bed. They showed Jack putting away the video before he went upstairs so he didn't have to go back upstairs to get it. I think it took so long because he had to get downstairs past the fire to get out. (That and it was in the script )
    If all that stuff was downstairs by the dog bed, then he wouldn't have had to go upstairs and back downstairs to get it and the dog. Of course, I'm probably focusing on details too much. Tonight's episode is supposed to be even more of a tear-jerker.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    If all that stuff was downstairs by the dog bed, then he wouldn't have had to go upstairs and back downstairs to get it and the dog. Of course, I'm probably focusing on details too much. Tonight's episode is supposed to be even more of a tear-jerker.
    I don't get where he went back upstairs. I saw him go in the upstairs window and come out the door. I figure he went down the stairs and got the stuff and left the house. What did I miss?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    I don't get where he went back upstairs. I saw him go in the upstairs window and come out the door. I figure he went down the stairs and got the stuff and left the house. What did I miss?
    He went in the front door and came out the front door. He would not have had to go back upstairs unless the memorabilia was up there, and someone has said it wasn't. It was presented in a confusing way because when Jack went back in, everyone was looking up at the window they had dropped out of and saw the fire had engulfed the room.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    He went in the front door and came out the front door. He would not have had to go back upstairs unless the memorabilia was up there, and someone has said it wasn't. It was presented in a confusing way because when Jack went back in, everyone was looking up at the window they had dropped out of and saw the fire had engulfed the room.
    I must have missed this too because what I remember is that he never came off the roof, went back in through the window. Rebecca and the kids thought the worst because shortly after the room went up in flames. Then he came out the front door.
    Moontat and Cornholio like this.
    "Blindsided, oh, friendship blindsided you're going home, home!" -Paul BB18

FORT Fogey

I think they were looking at the window because he went back in it. He was standing on the roof of the porch - he'd lowered the whole family down using the sheet, and was figuring out how to get down himself when Kate cried out about the dog.

As for the window being engulfed in flames right after that ... I think that's one of those things where reality has to be suspended in the name of drama. They had spent so much time convincing us that Jack died in the fire helping out Kate and relating to the dog, that they gave the visual to trick the viewers into thinking "This is it - he's dead". They had to do it to take us down that route, so that we had the unexpected emotional bounce to seeing him walk out of the house. It wans't about reality - it was about asking us to cry.
    karna68 likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

FORT Fogey

I'll have to watch that part again. I thought they were all standing on the lawn in front of the house when Jack went back inside.

I've never warmed up to the idea of Miguel as Rebecca's husband. For one thing, he was portrayed as a player when he and Jack were working together, and also because it rubs me the wrong way that he apparently was not there for her and the kids for very long after Jack died if they lost touch for 6 years until "meeting" again on Facebook.
    Last edited by AlwaysVeg; 02-06-2018 at 12:57 PM.

FORT Fogey

The editing before he went back in was tricky because they didn't really ever use a wide shot to show he wasn't standing with them.

With Miguel and Rebecca - I think it's been hard for us to warm to them as a couple because the show doesn't really give us a lot of chances to see them in love. We usually see Miguel feeling like he has to get out of the way to let the kids have their mom. You see little glimpses - like they way they were snuggling and watching TV a couple of episodes ago when Kevin was at their house. But we don't get to see any romance between the two of them that comes anywhere close to what we see between her and Jack.

The reason for that may be due to something that occurred to me watching the Super Bowl show -- I wonder if the reason that Jack is portrayed as such a superhuman perfect man is that he's portrayed not as he actually was in his life, but as his family remembers him. I think that the flashbacks are shown not as a way of documenting historical record, but as the characters remember events in current times. Our memories of deceased loved ones tend to hold on to all the great characteristics and forget about the flaws, and I think that's reflected in the flashbacks. IF that is intentional, it's also possible that the relationship between Rebecca and Miguel is filtered through Kevin, Kate and Randall's perceptions rather than reality. Kids are less likely to see a great love story and romance between a parent and a second spouse, so maybe since they don't see their relationship that way, it's not shown that way on the show.
    I may be thinking WAY too much into that, but it's a thought.
    holly71, PWS and Cornholio like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

+ Reply to Thread