+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast
Like Tree1387Likes

Thread: This Is Us

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Re: This Is Us

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    He seems like a spoiled brat to me. Some people are malcontents. That's how he strikes me. Sometimes, we have to do the right thing, because it's the right thing and we may not always be happy with it, imo. I hope they don't write what happens to him from a predictable cliche. So far, they seem to be pretty creative. I hope that continues.
    I love Kevin, and I love the actor that plays him.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

just finished the second episode. The Mom has been with Miguel long enough for the kids to refer to him as Grandad. I am thinking that means Milo's character died several years before, probably before the granddaughters were born?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I love Kevin, and I love the actor that plays him.
    The actor is fine. I just have issues with his character. He can't help what they write for him.

Am I the only one who wants the biological dad to get his cat back. So sad. I love this show. It's my new Parenthood! It also keeps you on your toes, going back and forth in years.
    Punkin and Imperfect1 like this.

FORT Fogey

Count me in among those who think that the mom still wearing the necklace at the end is a sign that the father died rather than that they divorced. To me, she'd hold on to a momento like that to remember a deceased husband (and the Miguel steps in to help the family and they fall in love). If they divorced, I think she'd get rid of the necklace along with her wedding ring. It was more a symbol of their marriage than the family at large - and she did say when he gave it to her that it was a reference to their song.

Here's my defense of Kevin doing the right thing by breaking his contract - it's character development. When the two brothers were talking on the phone, Kevin acknowledged that he'd always been in need of people liking him. That was illustrated in the flashback time in the Webster scene - he had a choice to make between standing up for his brother, and being liked by the masses. He chose to seek being liked. By breaking his contract and accepting that he'd have to walk away from Hollywood, he's accepting a life of not being adored by the masses. He was faced with another choice of doing the right thing or taking the path to being popular, and this time righted the wrong and did the right thing.

I wonder if that will become a theme with the "flashbacks" - if they will illustrate the ways that experiences growing up shape how you are in adulthood. From the previews for next weeks episode, it seems like the flashback era will not always progress forward in time. This week, the kids were elementary school aged, but in the scenes from next week they talk about bonding with the babies making it seem like they're going further back. So perhaps there will be connections each week that show the way each adult character is shaped into who they are?
    JavaJo and Fanny Mare like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    The actor is fine. I just have issues with his character. He can't help what they write for him.
    But we need flawed characters, otherwise we have no storyline..
    PWS, Critical, mika06 and 1 others like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I don't criticize Kevin for his choice. Seemed to me that even though he was under contract to a sitcom (or soap?), he grew as an actor and aspired to be seen as more than a shirtless hunk, which the show's producers didn't seem willing to let him do in even one scene. I see it as more of a positive action on his part to want to get out of there and move forward as an actor regarded more for his skills than his abs.
    PWS, mika06 and Fanny Mare like this.

liver spotted hands Realitychick's Avatar

I cannot say enough about this show. I know it's early but love love love it!!!! I totally can relate to the Kate character. I am on the other side of it now and much healthier but at my biggest I completely understand what she meant when saying it's always about your weight. Everything ties into that. It consumes you. You worry about not being able to fit through a door, or scared a chair won't hold your weight. Really off the wall things that one shouldn't think about on a minute to minute basis, but you do because of shame, or guilt/insecurity. So refreshing to see a character like that on TV as there's a large population of people who struggle with their weight and tend to be ignored or constantly made the butt of a joke. I also like that they show the character trying to make changes and be healthy and showing how hard it can be. Very interested in seeing what happens to the father and how Miguel came into the picture. But I think with them showing the mother still wearing the necklace that maybe he passed away rather than turned into a putz. Can't wait to find out!!!
    Punkin, PWS, KTinCT and 4 others like this.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    ... I completely understand what she meant when saying it's always about your weight. Everything ties into that. It consumes you. You worry about not being able to fit through a door, or scared a chair won't hold your weight. Really off the wall things that one shouldn't think about on a minute to minute basis, but you do because of shame, or guilt/insecurity. So refreshing to see a character like that on TV ...
    So totally agree.
    PWS likes this.

FORT Fogey

I'm watching a repeat of the second episode and noticed that in the bar scene with Miguel (when the kids were 8 years old), he is wearing a wedding ring while he's praising Rebecca as the world's greatest wife. Interesting! So he "lost" his spouse, too, after a while. Wonder if it was a divorce. Gosh, I love this show ... all the interesting details about each character as well as the overall story.

+ Reply to Thread