+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 89 FirstFirst ... 28686970717273747576777879808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Like Tree1605Likes

Thread: This Is Us

Re: This Is Us

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom View Post
    For some strange reason, i was watching reruns of A Different World the other day and went on IMDb to see what happened to the majority of that cast. So I was shocked to see Dawnn Lewis (Jaleesa) on the show last night as the lady Kevin tore down the wall for. She looks the same!! Hate to think Im going to be considered an old lady in 8 years though (shes 57!) LOL
    I recognized her, but I couldn't remember from where. Thank you!
    JORY'sMom likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I have such a love hate relationship with this show, and the scenes with the fire starting were no exception to that! Showing the fire starting, with the build up of 1.5 seasons to get to that point, would have been emotional on it's own. It felt so forced and heavy handed the way they had to do the whole back story of how they got the crock pot, and how they got the kitchen towel. I love when they do the flashbacks that show how experiences from the past mold how we perceive things in our current lives. But choosing to take a free crock pot wasn't one of those things! If we had no idea how they got the crockpot or the towel, it would have been meaningful. It's such a great concept for a show, and has some wonderfully compelling characters. But I get so tired of how often they work so hard to tell us how to respond.
    That's what I was questioning in this thread a few pages back. I don't understand the reason for all the focus on how they got the crockpot. (I don't remember the part about how they got the towel??) When the episode started, I actually thought at first that I was watching the wrong channel, as I couldn't understand who those people (the elderly couple) were, and why they needed to focus so much on them moving, having trouble selling their house, needing to get rid of things so they could buy new things, etc. Seems a lot of detail for something so minor as the origin of the crockpot. Why do we need to know? Will this come up again later? Otherwise, they could have bought it at a yard sale, or it even could have been new 17 years ago and Rebecca could have just casually mentioned that the switch had become problematic all those years later when she was preparing a meal. Why all the lengthy, detailed setup about the faulty crockpot?? I love this show and the back stories, but this is one that didn't seem to be relevant to anything. Letting us know that the smoke alarm wasn't working only took a couple of casual sentences in the previous episode (Rebecca saying they needed to buy batteries, and then saying she felt they had forgotten something at the mall), so why the whole big back story with all the details about the elderly couple and their lives to lead up to the crockpot?
    AcookerTV likes this.

I agree that I don't think Jack dies in the fire either. I think it's something that happens after the fire that kills him and obviously, with the dog. Either way, I'll be bawling like a baby!

Am I the only one, after watching Randall & Kevin work together on fixing the apartment building, that gets the feeling we will be seeing "Big Three Homes" finally get started? That would be such an awesome tribute!

Not sure who knows, but the entire cast won for Best Ensemble at the SAG awards! It was great to see everyone up there and being celebrated! Sterling won Best Actor as well!

Love this cast and this show! Only mad we have to wait until AFTER the Superbowl for the next episode! I mean, I obviously get why they did it, but mannnnn!
    holly71, jucamer and AcookerTV like this.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

AlwaysVeg, I see what you are saying. I normally do like how much detail they go into with all of the flashbacks. I guess in this case it may have felt extraneous. I just assumed it was a fake out. Rebecca had mentioned an elderly couple selling their home and circling the ad in the newspaper. She wanted Jack to take a look at it as a possible 1st time flip. All along I thought this couple was the couple selling the home. It wasn't until the end where we see Rebecca visibly pregnant that I realized this moving couple were neighbors of younger Jack and Rebecca and had moved 18 years or so ago, prior. The writers like to mess with us.

The red towel adjacent to the crock pot that caught on fire was a gift from Jack. We see Rebecca opening a gift years prior. There is a red towel and nestled among the other towels is what appeared to be a diamond bracelet. Those Pearsons sure like to hold on to things for a long time!

I was thinking the same thing! Like, who holds on to a faulty crock pot for 17 years?!

I mean, to be fair, I tend to hold onto things longer than I should as well, but that was my general thought once we saw where it came from!
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Maybe they didn't use it that much, or that often. Or maybe it worked fine, until that day. OTOH, who hangs on to something like that, my MIL.!
    holly71 and KrazeeKy07 like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by KrazeeKy07 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing! Like, who holds on to a faulty crock pot for 17 years?!

I mean, to be fair, I tend to hold onto things longer than I should as well, but that was my general thought once we saw where it came from!
    I still have almost that exact same crockpot. It's not faulty that I know of, lol. I have 2 newer ones to, but I use that old one mainly on holidays when I have a lot of food to do and I will pull out all 3 of them to keep things warm.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Maybe they didn't use it that much, or that often. Or maybe it worked fine, until that day. OTOH, who hangs on to something like that, my MIL.!
    Um, raises hand. I have a Mr. Coffee automatic drip coffeemaker that I received as a bridal shower gift 35 years ago. We use it in our mountain vacation home. Mr.ECM repaired it once and dang if it does not brew a super hot cup of coffee. Throughout my marriage I have had to beg hubby to purchase new appliances. He can, and has, fixed everything. Our clothes dryer must be over 30 years old. But no if it does not work we would not use it.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
    Moontat and Fanny Mare like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    AlwaysVeg, I see what you are saying. I normally do like how much detail they go into with all of the flashbacks. I guess in this case it may have felt extraneous. I just assumed it was a fake out. Rebecca had mentioned an elderly couple selling their home and circling the ad in the newspaper. She wanted Jack to take a look at it as a possible 1st time flip. All along I thought this couple was the couple selling the home. It wasn't until the end where we see Rebecca visibly pregnant that I realized this moving couple were neighbors of younger Jack and Rebecca and had moved 18 years or so ago, prior. The writers like to mess with us.

The red towel adjacent to the crock pot that caught on fire was a gift from Jack. We see Rebecca opening a gift years prior. There is a red towel and nestled among the other towels is what appeared to be a diamond bracelet. Those Pearsons sure like to hold on to things for a long time!
    Thanks for the info about the towel. I remembered the bracelet, but not the towel.

It did seem extraneous to me to include all that detail about the elderly people next door, but I really don't think the writers mess with us in providing details, as usually those details are rich in important information relating to the present, or at least something along the way relating to the main characters. That's one of the things I like best about this show -- we see what made them who they are. Or even about the smoke detector, they let us know it wasn't working in an offhand sentence or two. Could have done the same with the crockpot. The story of the neighbors and everything that led up to the gift of the crockpot was so unnecessary ... unless as I said a few posts ago, something else will come up in relation to that, but I can't imagine what because apparently 17 years later, those neighbors are not the same two elderly people who own the house Rebecca mentioned as a possible flip, unless they're well over 90 years old.

About the possibility of Jack not dying in the fire, that would be one time the writers ARE messing with us in leading us to believe that happens. If not then, he would have to die soon after, based on the age of the kids at his funeral. I have no idea how to set my DVR for extra time when we don't have any idea what time the SB will end. I don't know why they had to do it that way ... it's not as if the show doesn't have tons of fans who would be watching at its regular time.

Oh yes! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! That's my life motto! I just think it's crazy that a faulty appliance even lasted that long!

And I definitely think Jack dies that same night...I just agree with speculation that it may not be during the fire, but instead soon after everyone is out and safe.

But since we know it involves the dog and Kate is scarred by it....I'm leaning towards A) everyone makes it out, the dog doesn't, Jack goes back in to save the dog....dog comes back out, but Jack does not. Or B) (which is what I think will most likely happen) Jack and dog both come out, but at that point, Jack has inhaled way too much smoke. They rush him to the hospital and he passes away there...but not before being able to give Rebecca a hell of a goodbye speech, which will bring us all to tears, cause Jack Pearson will go out with a bang.

And I agree! That's what annoys me the most about them moving it. You never know how long the Super Bowl will go. What if they got into like some crazy overtime? I'll be so annoyed!
    Eastcoastmom and AlwaysVeg like this.

+ Reply to Thread