+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 89 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Like Tree1605Likes

Thread: This Is Us

Re: This Is Us

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Was there more significance to the older couple who were trying to clean out and sell their house besides the fact that R & J got the crockpot from them? Were they the same couple Rebecca was referring to when she said she had made a call about a house for sale that they could flip ... owned by an older couple? Sorry if this was obvious, but I just wasn't sure because it seems she would have told Jack it was their neighbor's house if it was, but on the other hand, it's such a coincidence that we saw so much of the older folks' story at the beginning of the show for that to lead only to the gift of the crockpot. Everything seems connected on this show, and there really was no need to explain how they got the crockpot if there was no greater significance.
    I don't think they were the same. Of course the show was leading us to believe they were but at the end we realize they weren't. The old couple was just neighbors of Jack and Rebecca way back when she was pregnant. Remember, she came to the door pregnant when George gave her the crockpot (that darned crockpot). The talk about flipping the house happened right before the fire (so 17 years later). I've been reading on other sites that people were thinking the fire was the same day they were given the crockpot, but it had been 17 years they had been using that crockpot before the fire happened.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Was there more significance to the older couple who were trying to clean out and sell their house besides the fact that R & J got the crockpot from them? Were they the same couple Rebecca was referring to when she said she had made a call about a house for sale that they could flip ... owned by an older couple? Sorry if this was obvious, but I just wasn't sure because it seems she would have told Jack it was their neighbor's house if it was, but on the other hand, it's such a coincidence that we saw so much of the older folks' story at the beginning of the show for that to lead only to the gift of the crockpot. Everything seems connected on this show, and there really was no need to explain how they got the crockpot if there was no greater significance.
    No, if you recall when the older neighbor came over to give Jack and Rebecca the crockpot, Rebecca was visibly pregnant. The neighbors' move was about 18 years prior to the crockpot being the cause of the house fire. They never did say whose house Rebecca circled in the paper as a possible flip for Jack to renovate. It was a bit confusing at first. I didn't know who this older couple was and it did seem at first that they were the owners of the house being sold that Rebecca wanted Jack to Flip. But then, as I said, when the neighbor (was it George?) came over bearing a faulty crockpot, you could see Becca was pregnant. Darn you George!!!@#$
    holly71 likes this.

Oops, I did not see your post, grapenuts.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by grapenuts View Post
    I don't think they were the same. Of course the show was leading us to believe they were but at the end we realize they weren't. The old couple was just neighbors of Jack and Rebecca way back when she was pregnant. Remember, she came to the door pregnant when George gave her the crockpot (that darned crockpot). The talk about flipping the house happened right before the fire (so 17 years later). I've been reading on other sites that people were thinking the fire was the same day they were given the crockpot, but it had been 17 years they had been using that crockpot before the fire happened.
    Yes, I realize that 17 years had passed, but it's just confusing to me because of the "coincidence" that two elderly neighbors who wanted to sell their house gave them the crockpot, and then 17 years later on the day of the fire Rebecca tells Jack about the house owned by an elderly couple that they might buy and flip. Also at the beginning, the wife tells her husband that their realtor said "a very nice couple" is interested in seeing their house. If there's no connection at all, it really wasn't even necessary to show how R & J got the crockpot in the first place. Rebecca just could have mentioned in passing that the switch wasn't working right, yet they had that long intro about the elderly couple cleaning and moving out of their house and giving them the crockpot, and then 17 years later the fact that the house they might flip had one owner that happened to be an elderly couple. There was no need for two sets of elderly couples shown or mentioned in the process of selling their house, so it just seems interesting because this show doesn't include anything for nothing!

Okay, so if it was just a confusing detail, I will let it go at that! On another note, I would just have thanked George for the crockpot and then thrown it away if it had a faulty switch!
    Last edited by AlwaysVeg; 01-24-2018 at 05:38 PM.

I think the writers set up the older couple selling the house so that we'd all be over thinking it. We would all think it was the same house they were going to flip. And then, when they opened the door to the crock pot it would have that BAM! effect on us. They know that we fans are out here analyzing every detail, sifting through clues . . . .just wanted to keep us in the dark until that dramatic reveal.

It worked on me, it smacked me right upside the head and I yelled out loud - NO, DON"T TAKE IT!!!!

oh, this show!
    tinderbox and Cornholio like this.

Quote Originally Posted by calicokat View Post
    I think the writers set up the older couple selling the house so that we'd all be over thinking it. We would all think it was the same house they were going to flip. And then, when they opened the door to the crock pot it would have that BAM! effect on us. They know that we fans are out here analyzing every detail, sifting through clues . . . .just wanted to keep us in the dark until that dramatic reveal.

It worked on me, it smacked me right upside the head and I yelled out loud - NO, DON"T TAKE IT!!!!

oh, this show!
    I agree, and it seems like so many episodes are like this. The writers like to mess with us I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom View Post
    For some strange reason, i was watching reruns of A Different World the other day and went on IMDb to see what happened to the majority of that cast. So I was shocked to see Dawnn Lewis (Jaleesa) on the show last night as the lady Kevin tore down the wall for. She looks the same!! Hate to think Im going to be considered an old lady in 8 years though (shes 57!) LOL
    . Im 58 so .
    JORY'sMom and GolfGrrl like this.

I was reading that the rumor around is, the fire does not kill Jack.

Milo has said that no one has guessed it, how his character dies. According to an ET article, "It’s just an absolute soul-crushing event,” he answers. “Once you figure out the moment where it’s going to happen, you may get some hope — and then it’s all going to go away.”

This Is Us: Milo Ventimiglia calls Jack's death a soul-crushing event | EW.com
    jucamer and AlwaysVeg like this.

OK, HI EVERYONE......I think I am the only one in the WORLD that does NOT (yes I typed NOT) watch this show.

No interest in it. I started S1 and bailed on it.

ANYWAY, its allllll over SOCIAL MEDIA that a CROCK POT caused a FIRE that KILLED a character on the show...............really? Did this actually happen?

A crock pot ...... eek, wait until "RIVAL" weighs on on this s/l!!!

I my CP.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    OK, HI EVERYONE......I think I am the only one in the WORLD that does NOT (yes I typed NOT) watch this show.

No interest in it. I started S1 and bailed on it.

ANYWAY, its allllll over SOCIAL MEDIA that a CROCK POT caused a FIRE that KILLED a character on the show...............really? Did this actually happen?

A crock pot ...... eek, wait until "RIVAL" weighs on on this s/l!!!

I my CP.
    Yes, it was a faulty switch on the crock pot that caused the fire. Also, there was a kitchen towel next to the crock pot so that caught on fire and the kitchen went up in flames. The crock pot was given to the couple approximately 17 years before when the neighbors were moving. It was 2 years old then but had the faulty switch even back then. Jack was a handy guy so idk why he did not fix it after all those years. But if he had only PULLED THE PLUG after use the fire would not have happened.

And Kar, you know I love ya, but you are not a fan of this show? smh

+ Reply to Thread