+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 89 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Like Tree1605Likes

Thread: This Is Us

Re: This Is Us

Wasn't Randall not named Randall at first? I thought I remember the real father telling Rebecca to give him his own name, when she was having trouble connecting, and then in this episode they seemed to forget that. Or, I missed something!

I read that there was a Kevin Spacey reference that was taken out of this episode, except for Canadian viewers. Must have had to do with this Kevin I suppose. Interesting!

They were calling him Kyle, but that didn't feel right to them because it was the name intended for the baby who died. That's when they changed it to Randall, which is the name of William's (and maybe Randall's birth mother's) favorite poet.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Ok, so at the end Rebecca connects with Miguel on FB. I was not wearing my eyeglasses. Can someone tell me exactly what it was that Miguel typed to her and what she typed back? Also, Beth had just set Rebecca up with a FB account. Unless Miguel was using Facebook message/messenger, he would not have been able to 'write' on Rebecca's wall. I could not make out where the message was coming from. I doubt Rebecca had sent Miguel a 'friend' request. I'm sure she was new to navigating Facebook. I joined in 2009. My son joined when he began college, in 2003, so yeah, it took me awhile to get on board. I did like, however, that a decent interval of time passed before she and Miguel started to date and then marry.
    Not that this is a major plot point, but for accuracy's sake, people *can* write on your wall unless your settings prevent it. I used to allow it, and then saw it was not a particularly good idea, so I changed my settings to allow people to comment but not originate a post. If you make your page public and allow others to post, they don't even need an approved friend request to do so. It all depends upon the settings you choose, so conceivably Miguel could have posted on Rebecca's page as they showed it. We would have to assume he did a search, though, to find her; otherwise, he would not have known she was there.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

When I started on FB the security, or my choices , wasn't as good as it is now..imho
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fan

But that Facebook page layout looked nothing like it should have. The message box looked more like AOL Chat.
    Trust Me!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Newsboi View Post
    But that Facebook page layout looked nothing like it should have. The message box looked more like AOL Chat.
    Maybe that's what it looked like back then. I joined about 6 years ago, and they've altered page features several times. In any case, now we know how Miguel came back into Rebecca's life ... although I never suspected he was gone. I kind of thought he would have kept up with his deceased close friend's family.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I enjoyed the episode but...I always do.

Loved that Randall named his daughter (actually both daughters) after the fan. Kind of proves he was trying to do something spontaneous like his mom suggested. Sure, he was kind of naming her with the salesman in mind but you know what I mean.

Felt so bad when Kate was sitting in her car, stuffing her face, near the site of her burned down home. So sad. Sleeping with the married guy was sad, too.

Find it hard to believe that the Big Three weren't told about there ever being triplets by the time they were 10 years old. It makes no sense. Wouldn't it have been part of the narrative of Randall becoming part of the family?

20 something Kevin, throwing his acting buddy under the bus, was pathetic. 10 year old Kevin, making sure his friend held Kate's hand, was rather endearing.

Rebecca finding Miguel on Facebook in 2008 seemed off. I think FB was pretty much used only by college kids in 2008 but I could be wrong. (If not, I don't think 40 to 50 year olds were on it then.)

LOVED Jack doing the moonwalk! (I LOVE Jack, period.)
    Actually that's about the time the "old fogeys" discovered Facebook. It was opened to the public in 2006, and people started using it to post baby pictures and reconnect with old friends. In looking at many of my friends' pages, I see that many "joined in 2008" and I actually believe that's the year I joined as well.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Newsboi View Post
    IIRC, that's about what the PM screen looked like back 8 or 9+ years ago, before FB developed Messenger.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

My favorite character is Jack. I was a big fan of Milo Ventimiglia when he was on Heroes and I love his character on this show. He shows that you don't have to have everything going your way to have a happy life. Your attitude has so much to do with your happiness. Jack's wife, Rebecca, on the other hand, lets her sorrows drown her and I don't like her character as a result of her negativity.

I think Toby is great! Kate, on the other hand, is annoying. She's got a lot of her mother in her, which is odd because she was so close to her dad, you'd think that more of his character traits would have rubbed off on her.

I go back and forth with Kevin. I like him in general but sometimes he's so wrapped up in his personal issues, he's not there for his friends and family and I don't like that shallow side of his character.

I'm not a fan of Randall. I thought his dad was great and I like his wife but he himself, meh.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    My favorite character is Jack. I was a big fan of Milo Ventimiglia when he was on Heroes and I love his character on this show. He shows that you don't have to have everything going your way to have a happy life. Your attitude has so much to do with your happiness. Jack's wife, Rebecca, on the other hand, lets her sorrows drown her and I don't like her character as a result of her negativity.

I think Toby is great! Kate, on the other hand, is annoying. She's got a lot of her mother in her, which is odd because she was so close to her dad, you'd think that more of his character traits would have rubbed off on her.

I go back and forth with Kevin. I like him in general but sometimes he's so wrapped up in his personal issues, he's not there for his friends and family and I don't like that shallow side of his character.

I'm not a fan of Randall. I thought his dad was great and I like his wife but he himself, meh.
    I think the traits that Kate doesn't like in her mother are the same as those she doesn't like in herself. That's the way it often goes! We get annoyed/angry with people who mirror us in some negative way. Toby is a lot like Jack in that he just decides to be happy and positive, while Kate is much like Rebecca. Interesting bit of insightful characterization on the part of the writers!
    PWS likes this.

+ Reply to Thread