+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 89 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Like Tree1605Likes

Thread: This Is Us

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Re: This Is Us

Quote Originally Posted by RealityRealmer View Post
    I knew you've always seemed like my brother!
    There ya go, proof!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Newsboi View Post
    How different does he look without the fat suit he wears on the show?
    I did not think he looked very different.
    He is still a bit stocky.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Justin Hartley was married yesterday. Congratulations and best wishes to him and to his lovely bride!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/us-star-justin-hartley-chrishell-005825091.html
    Punkin and Imperfect1 like this.

FORT Fogey

So Rebecca reconnects with Miguel on Facebook ... interesting. Wonder where he was for those years after Jack died; he apparently wasn't looking out for the family of his best friend.

I felt so bad for Kate winding up in bed with that married man. Even though it was her choice to go back to her apartment with someone she didn't know very well, it was still sad because she seemed so desperate for a boyfriend.

Kevin was really rotten to try to get that producer to consider him for the role his roommate already was given! Another act of desperation. He could have just nicely asked to be considered for something in the future and left it at that.

The best story line was Randall's, trying to overcome a breakdown and move forward to becoming a dad. The scene of him confiding in the store employee was so well done.

Another hint about what happens to Jack: Rebecca saying he could never say no to Kate. I'm sticking with my guess that he goes back into the fire to get something she wants, and either doesn't make it out or dies in the hospital. Of course, I could be wrong!

I thought sure the reason that guy didn't want to be seen with Kate was because she's fat and NOT because he's married. Maybe that's cynical of me, but that's the first thing I thought.

As always for me, the best storyline was Randall's. I think both the present day AND flashback Randalls are the best. I will say though, that Mandy Moore was really terrific in this episode.

I have this feeling that we're never going to see REAL growth from Kate and Kevin. We're still seeing those same behaviors from them that we've seen in flashbacks and since the first episode. If Kevin continues to be a creep who can't get his life together, that becomes a lot less interesting and if Kate's story is always about her weight, that's not interesting either.

I loved Rebecca's line about Tess being the most beautiful baby named after a ceiling fan
    PWS, JavaJo and AlwaysVeg like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Tess was named after a fan. LOL.
    I guess they both were..Randall in the hardware store was a little lengthy for me..

Randall's breakdown could not of been easy to deal with, and it matched perfectly with his need to follow his Halloween map as a young boy, his addiction to perfection

Young Kevin giving his candy to Billy, so he'd hold Kate's hand in the haunted house, very special.

Kate sleeping with the married guy, knowing he was married, showed she didn't think much of herself then .She blames herself for her fathers death, sitting outside their house, eating junk food

I loved , loved Rebecca with Randall as a new born, then Rebecca mirroring with Randall's first child. That was very well done, it touched my heart.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I enjoyed the episode but...I always do.

Loved that Randall named his daughter (actually both daughters) after the fan. Kind of proves he was trying to do something spontaneous like his mom suggested. Sure, he was kind of naming her with the salesman in mind but you know what I mean.

Felt so bad when Kate was sitting in her car, stuffing her face, near the site of her burned down home. So sad. Sleeping with the married guy was sad, too.

Find it hard to believe that the Big Three weren't told about there ever being triplets by the time they were 10 years old. It makes no sense. Wouldn't it have been part of the narrative of Randall becoming part of the family?

20 something Kevin, throwing his acting buddy under the bus, was pathetic. 10 year old Kevin, making sure his friend held Kate's hand, was rather endearing.

Rebecca finding Miguel on Facebook in 2008 seemed off. I think FB was pretty much used only by college kids in 2008 but I could be wrong. (If not, I don't think 40 to 50 year olds were on it then.)

LOVED Jack doing the moonwalk! (I LOVE Jack, period.)

I assumed the kids would have known about Kyle too. Maybe they thought it was easier to tell them that Kate and Kevin were twins and then tell about how they adopted Randall after seeing him in the nursery. If it was ME, I would have told them from the start, or at least as soon as they were old enough to understand. I wouldn't be talking to infants about their dead brother or anything. We have family friends whose son was a still-birth (one of the most horrible things I can even imagine) and they were always really open about it and, when they had another child, they made sure HE knew about his brother. They would talk about him and even take him to visit his brother's grave. That always felt more healthy to me than treating him like a secret.

As for FB, I joined in (I think) '07 or '08, but didn't started posting until '09. I was a fully formed adult and many of my friends on FB were too. It wasn't as mainstream back then, but it wasn't just for college kids either.

While Randall is still dealing with "issues," he seems to have shown more growth that Kevin and Kate. With those two, it just seems like "later, rinse, repeat."

I loved the whole thing in the hardware store. When the employee told Randall his name and then said something like, "I just talked my way out or having a baby named after me, didn't I?" =
    PWS, KrazeeKy07, JavaJo and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I loved that this episode showed the Big 3 in their 20s for the 1st time. I go back and forth with my feelings about Kevin. 20 something Kevin was horrible to throw his friend/roommate under the bus like that over an acting role. And then 10 y.o. Kevin does the sweetest thing ever by bribing the popular kid Billy to hold sister Kate's hand in the haunted house. I mean, really. I think Kevin would do anything for Kate just so she doesn't hurt. It was such a seriously sweet thing to do. OTOH Kevin is majorly jealous of Randall. Randall gets all of Rebecca's attention and Kate gets all of Jack's. Who dotes on Kevin? No one. Remember the drowning episode? So I feel for him at times but other times I want to smack him upside the head.

I don't think Kate knew diner/restaurant patron was married until AFTER she slept with him. His wanting to go home so quickly maybe gave her a lightbulb moment. Or maybe she didn't know for sure. Either way, very sad for her. I agree with Critical that the reason the diner guy wanted to leave with Kate and not be seen with her at the bar was b/c she was fat and not b/c he was married. I think some guys think fat girls are easy and are desperate for any kind of attention.

I usually love both old and young Randall but he annoyed me in this episode. Young Randall is so talented but he was beginning to bug with his OCD tendencies and his perfectionist streak. Yeah, maybe to him the map to 'maximize block to candy ratio' or whatever it was he said (which struck me as funny, btw) was a good idea, but Kevin and Kate were getting very impatient. Rebecca insisting that they must use the map threw a damper on Halloween for the other 2, forcing Jack to accompany them while Rebecca and Randall went alone. Cher without Sonny didn't work well. I did like how at the end she did talk to Randall about how he needs not to be so rigid and a bit more spontaneous.

Adult Randall...well, idk much about nervous breakdowns but he still seems unhinged. That whole conversation in the hardware store was way too personal to be having with an employee. And so unrealistic too. Lots of creative license there. I can't even FIND a Home Depot or Lowe's employee to ask a simple question any time I go.

Ok, so at the end Rebecca connects with Miguel on FB. I was not wearing my eyeglasses. Can someone tell me exactly what it was that Miguel typed to her and what she typed back? Also, Beth had just set Rebecca up with a FB account. Unless Miguel was using Facebook message/messenger, he would not have been able to 'write' on Rebecca's wall. I could not make out where the message was coming from. I doubt Rebecca had sent Miguel a 'friend' request. I'm sure she was new to navigating Facebook. I joined in 2009. My son joined when he began college, in 2003, so yeah, it took me awhile to get on board. I did like, however, that a decent interval of time passed before she and Miguel started to date and then marry.

I thought Kate figured out that the guy was married before she slept with him. Maybe I'm imagining that.

Miguel's FB message was something to the effect of "Hi, I didn't know you were on here. How have you been?" and then something about how it had been 8 years since they'd seen/spoken to each other. She just typed something like, "I'm fine. How are you?", after deleting something about hanging in there. Pretty pedestrian first FB PM-type stuff.
    JavaJo and Eastcoastmom like this.

+ Reply to Thread