+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree1169Likes

Thread: This Is Us

Re: This Is Us

I usually don't tape shows I've already seen, but it's on in about a half hour here & I'm taping to watch again sometime tomorrow. I want to watch it knowing what I know now.
    Punkin and momrek06 like this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I usually don't tape shows I've already seen, but it's on in about a half hour here & I'm taping to watch again sometime tomorrow. I want to watch it knowing what I know now.
    I dvr'd it when it aired the first time. My husband was on a business trip and I wanted him to watch it. Of course I watched with him. There were a few clues when I actively looked for them. He didn't catch on until the cigarette scene, either.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Count me in! This is my new favorite drama!!!! Loved it, loved the cast, and I can't wait for episode 2!

And PS, speaking of loving the cast, for all of us "Mistresses" fans, I was so happy to see "Scott" playing "Kevin" on this show! Yay!
    Realitychick and Cornholio like this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I hope it's okay to post this long article here about Chrissy Metz, the actress who plays the sister. It is from our Sunday newspaper and if I post the link, you have to be a subscriber to read it. I'll post the link anyway but every Sunday they spotlight an actor or actress from either television or Broadway. The feature is always called "Fast Chat" and the author is Joseph Amodio.

In an ensemble show like NBC’s new “This Is Us,” which premiered Sept. 20, and seems poised to be the next “Friends” or “thirtysomething” — a series that speaks to a generation — Chrissy Metz is a standout. For her beauty, her ability to telegraph tenderness or self-doubt in a glance and, yes, for the fact that you just don’t see many actresses like Metz on TV.

A Florida native, she started out as a preschool teacher before moving to Los Angeles 11 years ago to try her luck at acting. A five-episode arc on FX’s “American Horror Story: Freak Show” got her noticed.

On “This Is Us” — also starring Mandy Moore, Milo Ventimiglia and Sterling K. Brown — she plays Kate, a woman juggling weight issues, a hottie-actor brother, a potential new boyfriend, and the prospect of turning (gulp) 36. Turns out several folks on this show share the same birthday, and their lives intersect in unexpected ways.

When I saw the character breakdown, I thought, wait — a plus-size woman on network television? With a love interest? You don’t see this or, if you do, she’s always the butt of a joke. We never see her journey. What a concept. I called my agent — constantly. [She laughs.] He said, I know, I know, you’ll get the audition.

Do you not consider yourself a role model?

There’s so much responsibility with that term. I’m human, I make mistakes. I slip — like with losing weight. People say, “You’re promoting obesity.” And I say, “No, I’m trying to help people who don’t understand it take a second look at why people overeat.” It’s no different than gambling or whatever we do to fill the void. Food is the symptom, not the issue. As a plus-size actress, it’s been tricky. Auditions are few and far between. A couple of times, I considered packing it up. My mom said, “You might as well be there and miserable and at least pursuing what you want to do, rather than not having your hat in the ring.” [She laughs again.] Mom was right.

It must be tough in Hollywood, where it seems there are so few women above a size 2 or 4.

Zeros . . . I hope to show people you don’t have to be . . . perfect. We’re all just trying to do the best with what we’ve got. I hope I help people see themselves on TV.

And help 30-somethings get through year 36.

Yeah. In real life, I’m actually turning 36 at the end of the month. Cute, right? I started coming into my own at 30, discovering what’s important to me, not caring what other people think.

You don’t care?

My character, Kate, cares. Chrissy doesn’t. I guess I’m the eternal optimist. There are plus-size women who’ve paved the way — Rebel Wilson, Gabby Sidibe, Melissa McCarthy. I can’t wait for the day when I can have a conversation and it’s not about the size of my pants but how I prepared for the role.

Fair enough — how’d you prepare? And is there an aspect of Kate that’s tough to play?

She’s more timid than I am. She finds most of her self-worth in the number on the scale. And suddenly she meets this man who likes her for who she is. She’s not sure how to handle it. I’m divorced, and dating someone now, but I know plus-size women who haven’t had boyfriends. They think they’re not attractive. I’ve been there. So that’s a challenge . . . to go backward.

I hear you were discovered in a Florida talent show.

My sister’s tall, thin, model-esque. I am not. She wanted to go to this talent search. So I took her. I was filling out her paperwork when an older woman recognized me from my high school. She said, “Weren’t you in the drama department?” I said, “No, chamber choir.” She said, “You should be auditioning.” I’m thinking . . . who are you? She didn’t work at my high school. She got really serious. “You need to audition.” So . . . I did. I think I sang some Christina Aguilera song. They’re like, “What are you doing in Gainesville?” I said, “Teaching preschool.” They’re like, “No, no, no.”

So that woman was right.

And I’m not kidding — I never saw her again. “Where’s the woman with the hat?” Nobody knew who I meant. She’s like my guardian angel. I wound up training in acting, did a showcase with managers in L.A. and it’s all history.

Wow.

Some little Podunk talent search. It happens. Even when you feel you’re never gonna . . . bust out. There’ve been tough times, but this show is amazing. I‘m buckling up and enjoying the ride.
    Chrissy Metz talks ‘This Is Us,' being a role model, more | Newsday

I logged in today hoping there'd be a thread about this show because I was afraid if I were to start one, nobody would care enough to post.

"This Is Us" is not a show I would normally watch, but we were at a friend's house last night and it came on and now I'm hooked!!!! I see SO much potential for this show. Like most of you, I didn't fully catch on until the cigarettes. I did suspect the adult brother and sister were the children of the pregnant women but since I couldn't fit Sterling Brown into that equation, I thought my overactive imagination was getting the best of me.

My favorite character and storyline is Kate. I just love her. I can't wait to see what they do with her storyline. I hope they don't turn her into a joke. I also hope they don't make her over confident. I want them to keep her real and relatable. I don't have any struggles with my weight but I like characters who have insecurities because that's something we all share.

I'm so excited for this show. After being disappointed with the direction Empire and How To Get Away With Murder have both taken, I'm really looking forward to having a Primetime show I can look forward to each week.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

ECM, THANKS so much for the article on CHRISSY!!!

I loved that article and I love her "KATE"!!!
    Realitychick and Eastcoastmom like this.
    KAREN

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

^ You're welcome, sweetie.

I watched the repeat last night b/c I missed it first time around. I hadn't read through all of the posts here and didn't catch any of the clues. Not the late 70s, early 80s garb, not that the delivery methods were outdated, etc. In fact, after the first child was delivered and mom went into distress, I thought they whisked her away for a C-section. Did they specifically say she hadn't had one? My first-born was born in '85 and was an emergency C-section. I was whisked away and hubby wasn't allowed in with me. So, that part rang true for that time period. I thought we were watching two separate families up until the end. I couldn't figure out how the African-American married man fit into the equation until the end. I guess I would make a poor sleuth.

Sad that Gerald McRaney won't be a part of the cast now. He'd be 109 in present time. I also got the feeling that the parents were not living. Something Kate said to her brother about a saying their dad used to say about turning lemons into lemonade, which was the advice the obgyn gave to him after telling him the third child didn't survive. I can't remember now if that was before or after the scene with all 3 babies together wearing the same shirt. But when she said that, it made me think they either died an early death or something tragic happened to them.

Also, am I mistaken but wasn't Milo celebrating a birthday in the opening scene....where he jumped on the bed and Mandy came out very, very pregnant? For some reason I thought he said it was his 36th birthday. So, that would mean their children were born on their dad's birthday. I could be mistaken, though. DH has a VERY bad habit of talking to me throughout TV shows, which makes me miss a lot of dialogue.

No, you are correct. It was his 36th birthday.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Ugh. I managed to miss this twice now. It looks like this is one of those "past my bedtime" shows. I hope they keep showing it online because I'll watch it there.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    ^ You're welcome, sweetie.

I watched the repeat last night b/c I missed it first time around. I hadn't read through all of the posts here and didn't catch any of the clues. Not the late 70s, early 80s garb, not that the delivery methods were outdated, etc. In fact, after the first child was delivered and mom went into distress, I thought they whisked her away for a C-section. Did they specifically say she hadn't had one? My first-born was born in '85 and was an emergency C-section. I was whisked away and hubby wasn't allowed in with me. So, that part rang true for that time period. I thought we were watching two separate families up until the end. I couldn't figure out how the African-American married man fit into the equation until the end. I guess I would make a poor sleuth.

Sad that Gerald McRaney won't be a part of the cast now. He'd be 109 in present time. I also got the feeling that the parents were not living. Something Kate said to her brother about a saying their dad used to say about turning lemons into lemonade, which was the advice the obgyn gave to him after telling him the third child didn't survive. I can't remember now if that was before or after the scene with all 3 babies together wearing the same shirt. But when she said that, it made me think they either died an early death or something tragic happened to them.

Also, am I mistaken but wasn't Milo celebrating a birthday in the opening scene....where he jumped on the bed and Mandy came out very, very pregnant? For some reason I thought he said it was his 36th birthday. So, that would mean their children were born on their dad's birthday. I could be mistaken, though. DH has a VERY bad habit of talking to me throughout TV shows, which makes me miss a lot of dialogue.
    They are going to show the parents in flashbacks. I hope the doctor stays in the parents lives. The only guest appearance they showed was Alan Thicke so maybe the doctor will be in a few.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

+ Reply to Thread