+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This show is already in trouble

This being Fox and all, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys are actor/models with SOME boxing training in their pasts.

I don't fault the producers ... if I was picking for the show, I would want some guys that could speak well or looked decent versus having the most talent. It is television after all ... not scouting for the Olympic boxing team.

I'm still digging the show. With a guy like David the jerk on the show it's very entetaining to watch.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by gcue
    With only 4, 2 minute rounds, I would hope they could just show us the damn fight.

Actually, the fights consist of four three-minute rounds (and they do count as pro fights).

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic
    This being Fox and all, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys are actor/models with SOME boxing training in their pasts.

I don't fault the producers ... if I was picking for the show, I would want some guys that could speak well or looked decent versus having the most talent. It is television after all ... not scouting for the Olympic boxing team.

I have to disagree with you. Boxers have always been a diverse lot- wealthy or poor, respectful or rude, attractive or ugly, married or single, very intelligent or just plain dumb. There are real, legimate boxing prospects out there from every walk of life. There are far more interesting guys out there who (unlike these guys) actually have talent. Plus, if they had used better fighters, they would not have to resort to tired, silly tricks in order to make the fights look "exciting".

I tell you exactly what is wrong with the show.

They dont show the whole fights...The fight itself appears cheesy. These are the best guys they can find for the show they have horrible technique. Im dissapointed

FORT Regular
    Perhaps a reason they don't show all the fights is that it would make the outcome less interesting (in their eyes, not necessarily ours).

If we just look at the first week, we have a bout for which David won a unanimous decision (so, assuming they're using standard boxing scoring, and there were no penalties/knockouts, that would mean he had to win at least 3 of the 4 rounds (for a 39-37 decision) in the minds of ALL the judges...or perhaps it was 2 to 2 and there's some rule in the show that the higher-ranked fighter wins all ties).

But the editing WE were shown made it look like David was practically getting the stuffing beat out of him during the first two rounds, and part of the third round too. The editing showed us the trainer/corner men saying something like "David, you're losing out there, have to step up." The editing showed us a lot of things that made it seem like the margin was razor-thin - and then it wasn't. It's like when, say, the Amazing Race quickly switches between Team 1 and Team 2 cameras as they are "rushing" toward the Pit Stop trying not to come in last place, then you see Team 1 arrive frantically running...and the next shot, it's dark outside, obviously multiple hours later, and Team 2 finally arrives. They weren't nearly as close as it was edited to be, but if they had said early on in the show "Yeah, Team 2 is waaaaay back" fewer people would watch.

If they showed the whole fight, for all we know in the first round we'd have seen the 30 seconds of the eventual loser punching david, and 2:30 of David beating the stuffing out of him that they didn't want to show because there'd be no drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant
    Perhaps a reason they don't show all the fights is that it would make the outcome less interesting (in their eyes, not necessarily ours).

If we just look at the first week, we have a bout for which David won a unanimous decision (so, assuming they're using standard boxing scoring, and there were no penalties/knockouts, that would mean he had to win at least 3 of the 4 rounds (for a 39-37 decision) in the minds of ALL the judges...or perhaps it was 2 to 2 and there's some rule in the show that the higher-ranked fighter wins all ties).

But the editing WE were shown made it look like David was practically getting the stuffing beat out of him during the first two rounds, and part of the third round too. The editing showed us the trainer/corner men saying something like "David, you're losing out there, have to step up." The editing showed us a lot of things that made it seem like the margin was razor-thin - and then it wasn't. It's like when, say, the Amazing Race quickly switches between Team 1 and Team 2 cameras as they are "rushing" toward the Pit Stop trying not to come in last place, then you see Team 1 arrive frantically running...and the next shot, it's dark outside, obviously multiple hours later, and Team 2 finally arrives. They weren't nearly as close as it was edited to be, but if they had said early on in the show "Yeah, Team 2 is waaaaay back" fewer people would watch.

If they showed the whole fight, for all we know in the first round we'd have seen the 30 seconds of the eventual loser punching david, and 2:30 of David beating the stuffing out of him that they didn't want to show because there'd be no drama.

than these people know nothing about boxing. all it takes is one shot, one knockdown, and with only 4 rounds that is huge. That is where the drama in real boxing lies. Not every fight will be a gem, but thats the risk you take. There is enough drama throughout the whole damn show.

FORT Fan
    It's going to be hard to keep decent ratings because boxing isn't an extremely popular sport. Usually the people that watch it are people who have been watching it for most of their lives.
    I enjoy the show, and sure there are parts that could be better. I'm a fan of Oscar De La Hoya (yes, even after his last bout with Hopkins), so that added to my interest of the show.
    I hope it does good, and I'd like to see it go to Otis Griffin in the end.....

FORT Fogey
    The ratings aren't getting any better. I would suggest that the big fans of this show enjoy it while the can, because it's not going to last much longer. The following article comes from MMA Chronicle:

Next Great Champ Continues to Flop
    By Jeremy Wall [9.24.04 - 1:53 AM EST]

Next Great Champ continues to bomb on television, as it drew it's lowest rating yet for a first-run episode the 21st at 9 PM EST on Fox, drawing a 3.0 and 5 share, coming in fifth for the timeslot. The show drew a 2.4 and a 6 share among adults ages 18-49, the same as last week, although this week it was in fourth for that demo (it was third last week). Overall, the episode drew 4.74 million viewers. The show had heavier competition this week, though, as it was up against the first half of the final episode of "The Amazing Race" on CBS, and the season premiere of "According to Jim" and series debut of "Rodney" on ABC. The buzz on the show inside the television industry is that it's a terrible flop.

TV Ratings for Next Great Champ
    9/7 - 3.3(5)
    9/14 - 3.3(5)
    9/21 - 3.0(5)

Fox has a habit of yanking reality shows before they are over (ala Forever Eden) ... I hope this doesn't happen. I am curious to see who wins this thing.

Maybe they should show it on their FoxSports networks .. kind of like NBC does with Apprentice reruns over on CNBC. If more 'sports' fans knew about it, maybe they would watch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast