+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12/21 Finale Show discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 12/21 Finale Show discussion **Spoilers**

The Finals: December 21, 2007

Congratulations to the Clark Brothers, a group of guys who left their hearts on stage each night, holding nothing back. Musically, I think Sixwire is better, but they were unable to pull in enough votes to get past one of the most likeable and endearing group of young musicians I’ve seen on television. Because of the exposure they received on NGAB, and, if 19 Entertainment promotes them correctly, these guys should sell a lot of records. Something else. I hope the judges, producers, and music execs at Sony BMG listened carefully to Geoff Byrd’s (The Likes of You) spine-tingling, lyrically cogent, and vocally exquisite When I Fall from Grace, one of the best songs I’ve ever heard; not just on this show, but anywhere (a brilliant music composition). More emo than rock, but I was left speechless by this performance. Geoff’s tonal inflection is so reminiscent of Keane’s Tom Chaplin, another artist who personifies passion. Can you imagine a Clark Brothers cd with songs written and arranged by Geoff Byrd? Would the show’s producers and 19 Entertainment even consider this musical collaboration? They should. If the Clark Brothers have a weakness, it is song writing, something Geoff Byrd clearly does very well. It’s a shame that The Likes of You and Franklin Bridge couldn’t find a fan base on this show. Finally, congratulations to Sixwire, the better band, and in another world, one without The Clark Brothers in it, the winner. They prepared well each night, made good music, made no mistakes, and fought valiantly; they simply got out-performed and out-loved by the Clark Brothers, and I doubt there’s anything they could have done differently to change the outcome.

The Music: As I said earlier, the best performance on this night was Geoff Byrd’s When I Fall from Grace. The Clark Brothers’ delivered an emotional performance of their gospel ballad, You Are Still the Same; magic always happens when Ashley’s vocals are supported on the strings of a mandolin. Country music is one of the few music genres where songs containing overtly religious lyrics are still welcome and added to radio play lists. I can remember Keith Urban’s But for the Grace of God; Martina McBride’s God’s Will, or Carrie Underwood’s Jesus Take The Wheel. All three reached #1 on the Billboard’s Country Music Charts. Sixwire turned in an energetic, fun-filled, and in my opinion, better than the original, cover of The Rolling Stones’ The Last Time. Surprisingly, even Denver and the Mile High Orchestra got it right tonight; this time, The Ides of March’s Vehicle got the muscle and attention it deserved. The lead singer from Northmont must have picked the wrong song or had it forced upon him, because his cover of Santana and Rob Thomas’ Smooth was anything but. The Christmas medley seemed hastily thrown together, but served its purpose, I guess.

The Show’s Format: I mentioned this last week but feel strongly about it, so I’m continuing my one man campaign. The producers can’t do anything to change viewer taste in music, but I think they can do some things to ensure that all contestants have a fair shot at showcasing their talent. It’s not much of a stretch for Sixwire or The Clark Brothers to cover Elton John, Rod Stewart, or Billy Joel, but asking the same of a hard rock band like Light of Doom or a punk rock band like Dot, Dot, Dot is an inequitable stretch. It robs them of what they do best; it strips them of authenticity; and robs them of the opportunity to advance. There’s nothing wrong with Elton John, Rod Stewart, or Billy Joel (they are wonderful pop musicians), but, If Light of Doom and Dot, Dot, Dot are forced to cover pop songs, then Sixwire, The Clark Brothers, and Denver and the Mile High orchestra should, in the spirit of fairness, be asked to cover legitimate rock artists. I suspect some rock bands are too hard for television, but there are other television friendly, clean, and masterful rock bands/artist that qualify. Why not Foo Fighters (The Pretender is one of the best rock songs of 2007), The Who (their catalog is loaded with wonderful compositions); Bruce Springsteen (one of the best rock lyricist of all time); why not Nirvana (the most influential of all rock bands); not to mention Nine Inch Nails, Chilli Peppers, Pearl Jam, and Led Zeppelin. And if these bands are too much for Middle America, there’s The Beatles (the most successful rock band ever), The Rolling Stones (a ton of great rock songs), or even Nickelback (there's very little rock in them, but they are hugely popular)? There are also R&B bands that safely qualify. Why no Sly and the Family Stone theme night; why no Earth, Wind, and Fire; The Commodores, or Blood, Sweat, and Tears? The show’s format is too myopic; too dialed in to pop and country, so its favorable to country and pop bands. Yet, it tests and saddles hard rock and R&B bands with compositions that challenge them and make it harder to advance. I understand and accept the premise that contending bands know the format coming in, and that it is their responsibility to make America love them, but I have to wonder if that is even possible when the format is such that it forces them into compromising situations where they must compete with one hand tied behind their backs. I enjoyed the show, but the format should be revisited.

Best Performances:
    1. When I Fall From Grace, Geoff Byrd, The Likes of You.
    2. You’re In My Heart, The Clark Brothers.
    3. Tangled Up In Blue, Franklin Bridge
    4. Stay, Dot, Dot, Dot
    5. Flight of Icharus, Light of Doom

Judges: I like all three (Dicko, Sheila E, and John Rzeznik). They’re funny and make a good team. The host is a lively, likeable fellow, but needs to mix in a steak once in awhile.

More Congratulations: Congratulations to Blake Lewis and Jordin Sparks. A.D.D. didn’t make much of a dent on the charts (so far), but I loved Break Anotha and play it all the time. I’m still not sure where she’s headed with Jive Records, since Tattoo lacks substance, but the same can't be said of No Air, a terrific R&B composition. Jive Records did a wonderful job with both Elliott Yamin and Jordin Sparks. Of course, nothing compares to what Chris Daughtry and Carrie Underwood accomplished in 2007.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 12-22-2007 at 04:29 AM.

Hey lieden, I just wanted to comment on the following statement.

I think Sixwire is better,but they were unable to pull in enough votes to get past one of the most likeable and endearing group of young musicians I’ve seen on television. Because of the exposure they received on NGAB, and, if 19 Entertainment promotes them correctly, these guys should sell a lot of records.

I said at the very beginning of this show that The Brothers would win, for many reasons but one of the big things they had going for them was Carrie Underwood & her fans. This group of people pulled together from the beginning to vote en masse for Ashley & his brothers. From the first time Carrie ever performed with her band, Ashley became the fans favorite, and even though everyone was disappointed to see him leave her band, they also wanted to see him have a shot at the big time. As to promoting the boys, I still believe they will be seen sometime later in the year as Carries opening act. Not much better promotion than that. I wish them all the luck & success in the world. Go get em boys.

I still hold out hope that someone somewhere gives Sixwire a shot. They are too good to go unsigned any longer.

It seems as though two of the Brothers Clark were scheduled for Carries band until this opportunity came up.

Franklin County band of brothers returns to big time - Roanoke.com

Franklin County band of brothers returns to big time

The Clark Brothers got a recording contract with 19 Entertainment after they won a Fox network contest.

By Tad Dickens

Franklin County's Clark Brothers are "The Next Great American Band."

Ashley, Austin and Adam Clark survived nine weeks of competition with 12 bands on the Fox network show before Friday night's finale, which was taped in Los Angeles on Sunday. With the win, the Clark Brothers got a recording contract with 19 Entertainment, the production company that also created "American Idol."

Like the Clarks, the other two bands -- Sixwire, and Denver and the Mile High Orchestra -- were also based in Nashville, Tenn.

But the brothers weren't in either L.A. or Music City on Friday. Instead, they were gathered with friends and fans at the Franklin Center, in Rocky Mount, to watch the finale. They flew back after taping the finale.

The show has had a small TV audience, consistently finishing at the bottom of the pack in its Friday night time slot. In Rocky Mount, though, about 185 excited folks filled two rooms at the Franklin Center to support the band. At least 50 of the audience were Clark family members, said Scott Martin, Franklin County director of tourism and leisure.

The rooms exploded with applause as show host Dominic Bowden announced the brothers' victory.

So did a conference room inside the center, where the band, immediate family and media were watching. The brothers had already done a TV interview when the show started.

"Dude, I'm still in shock," dobro player Austin Clark said just after reliving the moment via cable TV. "Just seeing it again, it's amazing. I was getting shaky all over again."

Then he and his brothers went into the big conference room and played gospel songs for the live audience.

"Jesus is on the main line, tell him what you want," they sang. "Call him up and tell him what you want."

It's been five years since the Clarks and three of their brothers stepped off one music business roller coaster.

Now they're on another, this one powered by 19 Entertainment.

Even if "The Next Great American Band" never happened, the Clarks already would have a great music business story to tell.

They and their six other siblings started on the road as youngsters, traveling in wintertime with parents Freddy and Sylvia in a revival show. When the weather warmed, they hit the bluegrass circuit.

The six eldest children -- Alan, Aaron, Adam, Ashley, Andrew and Austin -- began performing their own high-octane, bluegrass/pop-country fusion. Freddy Clark videotaped their performances, and sent the tapes to cable outlets to promote upcoming shows.

One of those tapes impressed Sherman Halsey in the mid-1990s. Halsey, who has produced and directed videos and TV shows for the likes of Tim McGraw and the Oak Ridge Boys, tracked down the six brothers and brought them to Nashville.

The band signed with Curb Records, and in 2001, it had the 13th best-selling single on the Billboard country chart, "Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch."

But Curb was slow to release the Clarks' debut CD, which had been produced by McGraw. No one in the band wrote the hit, so they weren't making any money from publishing rights.

Touring wasn't profitable. They couldn't make rent. They couldn't keep their bus running. They had to let their manager go.

They moved back to Rocky Mount and filed for Chapter 7 liquidation bankruptcy.

Five years ago, a judge ruled in the Clarks' favor, but by that time, the band was fractured. Austin, Ashley and Adam migrated back from Franklin County to Nashville. Ashley and Austin were set to go on the road with Carrie Underwood for a tour that is coming to Roanoke on Feb. 16. Adam was with SheDaisy's touring band.

But after Ashley sent a videotape of a brotherly jam to "The Next Great American Band," the producers asked them to audition. They took a shot.

Clark brother Alan, who is now working as in investigator for lawyer Daniel Crandall, his uncle, said he is proud of the three who stuck with music.

"I'm so grateful that they can go on and pursue their dream," said Alan, the oldest of the siblings. "They've got a major label record deal again."

I loved this show and I really hope they do it again but I'm not holding my breath. Watching other shows on TV and seeing the Choir show advertised at the bottom throughout the show made me realize how little promotion this show got. It's too bad because it was great fun.

They did a great job with the finale - lots of music and almost no filler.

It was a great show! My favourite line from Adam from Dot Dot Dot:

Kids, lock up your mothers - here's Sixwire! lol

The music was all great. Who was missing? - The Hatch, The Muggs, Rocket and Franklin Bridge. Franklin Bridge is the only one I think anyone really missed (though I did like the Muggs before they got cocky).

The LOD kids were in almost all the Christmas medley. I think they made lots of friends and had a great time doing the show. It was so sad to show them crying in the Likes of You song. I think they were sad after Queen night and just as happy not to have to be judged again.

The Christmas medley was fun. I'd love to see the last song made into a single next year!

The tears in Ashley's eyes when he won just made me swoon.

John Reznick officially makes me totally swoon. I liked the Goo Goo Dolls on the Radio (esp. Better Days) but I'm now a major fan. I bought two Goo Goo Dolls CD's yesterday (at a store that was going out of business) and I hardly ever buy CD's.

Sheila E isn't a great singer but it was still fun to watch her song.

The Clark's new song was really nice and Sixwire made good on their Rolling Stones song. (Is that the one they got picked on about the week the lead singer had bronchitis?) I wonder if the producers pushed for the two who sang originals last week to sing covers this week and vice versa?

Sixwire got ignored a bit when they came in second. I wish they had given them the chance to say something.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Kim

I'm pretty sure I heard the host say something like "we'll see you next year" toward the end of the show, so I'm hoping that they give it another chance. I find it far superior to Idol. The musicianship of many of the bands was excellent and I found myself looking forward to this show each week. I'm a little sad that it's over!

I heard the comment about 'next year' as well--I'd like to see this show again, with maybe some tweaking of the format. I'm glad the Clarks won, and i guess everyone already knows, I do not agree that Sixwire was the better band. "Slicker" definitely, 'better, no.

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;2731474;
    [
    More Congratulations: Congratulations to Blake Lewis and Jordin Sparks. A.D.D. didn’t make much of a dent on the charts (so far), but I loved Break Anotha and play it all the time. I’m still not sure where she’s headed with Jive Records, since Tattoo lacks substance, but the same can't be said of No Air, a terrific R&B composition. Jive Records did a wonderful job with both Elliott Yamin and Jordin Sparks. .
    Who are these/I don't remember them for the life of me, and I thought I saw every week of TNGAB.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

liedenfrost was referencing Blake & Jordin from AI...they weren't on TNGAB!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Oh--I don't watch that show. So I've never heard of these.Thanks Bama.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123