+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 12/14/ show discussion

Re: 12/14/ show discussion

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;2721803;
    [B]Sixwire greatest strength is its ability to connect with the ladies; and maybe the ladies loved these two songs, but both bored the hell out of me.
    Speaking as a lady, they bored the hell out of me too. And have most weeks.

All three bored the hell out of me, which is why I'm now only watching in quick cuts between this show and two really bad movies.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine." The Clark Bros original song starts out with a common gospel phrase and melody, doesn't it? I was quite taken aback that I could sing along with the first part of their song. Is it considered original if you meld a standard into the work?

Anyway, the Clark Bros are interesting, and I could see them adding in some celtic melodies and rythmns, their instrumentation is already heading in that direction.

Sixwire remains the most polished band of the remaining three. I continued to enjoy their tight harmonies and shortened song construction, and I hope they do make it through as the last band standing.

Blasting trumpets and saxephones do not a band make - even in the Benny Goodman/Glenn Miller era, they were background for the singer unless highlighted for an instrumental section. With DMHO there is a constant singer and the blasting drowned him out. Is he the featured performer or is his backup orchestra the featured performer? I'm not ready for the "big band era" to come back into style, I guess.

I have enjoyed my short time watching this show, but like liedenfrost wrote:

The Next Great American Band is more aptly named The Next Great Country/Pop Band, a television show where traditional, alterative, neo, or progressive R&B and Rock bands are poorly received, unloved, and ultimately euthanized.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 12-15-2007 at 12:48 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I think 19E is hoping that Sixwire wins. They're the most studio ready. FWIW, I didn't find anything on this show that I couldn't hear in Boston or Cambridge on any Friday or Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;2722160;
    I think 19E is hoping that Sixwire wins. They're the most studio ready. FWIW, I didn't find anything on this show that I couldn't hear in Boston or Cambridge on any Friday or Saturday night.
    Well, also 19E learned their lesson from Carrie Underwood and yes, even Kellie Pickler.

Country sells in the U.S. And its fans don't seem to be nearly as prejudiced as Rock fans about a history of coming up via a reality show.

Heck, for that matter, Miranda Lambert (a previous contestant of the reality show Nashville Star) is another example.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2722941;
    Heck, for that matter, Miranda Lambert (a previous contestant of the reality show Nashville Star) is another example.
    Not nearly as pathetic as them buying the Bucky Covington CD.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;2721984;
    Speaking as a lady, they bored the hell out of me too. And have most weeks.
    Same here--I just can't get why it's assumed that women will like Sixwire.
    Anyway, this show has gotten to the point that I find it more interesting as a competetion than a talent search; the Clarks are the only ones I like anymore, at all, and it seems to me that it has been predetermined that Sixwire will win for quite a while.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Well, also 19E learned their lesson from Carrie Underwood and yes, even Kellie Pickler.

Country sells in the U.S. And its fans don't seem to be nearly as prejudiced as Rock fans about a history of coming up via a reality show.

Don't forget Josh Gracin, who has had quite a bit of success in the past & his new single has just entered Top 40 territory.

ITA! The sales model for rock was broken years ago. People can get great rock music in a number of places and bands are no longer dependent on the labels for promotion or getting the music through the channel. Concerts are booked through promoters and the artist's personal management... not the label.

Country and classical still sell well in CD form. The classical fans want the higher quality of CDs and many country fans prefer using CDs over digital downloads. Also, the labels in those genres are actively involved in booking artists for concerts.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;2723371;
    The sales model for rock was broken years ago.
    There's an old joke where a good ole country boy is asked what kind of music he prefers. He answers without thought, "I like both kinds of music! Country AND Western!".

I think the answer lies somewhere between the way in which the different demographics buy their music and the diversity of Rock vs Country. Look at how disparate the Rock bands were in this competition. The fact is we use quantifiers when talking about Rock. Alternate, Classic, Pop, Heavy Metal, etc, while (except to a few aficionados) Country is, well, Country.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast