+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 12/14/ show discussion

Re: 12/14/ show discussion

I'm getting a Big & Rich vibe from this performance by Sixwire,

See.

Its obvious that Sixwire understands their own sound better than either these dumb judges or the producers.

I bet Dick-o will hate it.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Sixwire is definitely a tight band. They may win it all. But, in the long run I think The Clarks have a better shot at success. Besides I know of a large group of fans that is supporting them.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2721322;
    Besides I know of a large group of fans that is supporting them.
    That wouldn't happen to be the Carrie Underwood contingent would it?

FORT Fan

My favorite two bands from the auditions were Sixwire and The Clark Brothers and the Clark Brothers were my favorite of the two.
    I still feel that way. I wouldn't mind Sixwire winning but I think The Clark Brothers deserve to. They are more original.
    I have really loved this show and wish it had been able to enjoy the fame of American Idol as I would have loved another season or two.
    I still think Denver and his orchestra needs a new front man. The band is wonderful, he still is too much Bill Murrayish for me.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Not only do I want to see Sixwire win, I think they deserve to.
    Last edited by Uncle David; 12-15-2007 at 01:41 AM.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2721329;
    Who is Carrie Underwood? I don't care for Sixwire, but like the Clarks, even though tonight's show wasn't their best. I would pay to see he Clark Brothers, but would probably only listen to Sixwire if I were already sitting in a bar a few beers down, when they came on. I find them that boring, although I admit they are good musicians...Yaaaawn.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

The Top Three: December 14, 2007

1. Sixwire. I agree with John Rzeznik. Except for Elliot Randall’s exquisite electric guitar blues riffs, there’s nothing special about Steely Dan’s Reelin in the Years; a song about the reunion of young lovers after spending years apart. Frankly, my mood soured when Steve (Sixwire guitarist) cut short the song’s lead-in guitar solo (why?), and never fully recovered. Sorry, but if you’re going to rob us of the guitar solo, the song’s signature, why include it on the show? Also, the three part harmony between Andy, Steve, and Robb did not match the original. Didn’t like it. The producers then stuck them with yet another mediocre song, England Dan and Dan Ford Coley’s ode to casual sex; I’d Really Like to See You Tonight. Sixwire greatest strength is its ability to connect with the ladies; and maybe the ladies loved these two songs, but both bored the hell out of me. I disagree with Rzeznik about the arrangement though; I thought the soulful, R&B arrangement, particularly Andy’s vocal transitions, was the only interesting thing about I'd Really Like to See You Tonight. The last song, Good to be Back, was good; powerful guitar licks, energetic, foot-stomping country rock; I loved it. Country music could use another Sawyer Brown. I think the Clark Brothers are a wonderful and unique band; certainly the most popular, but musically, I think Sixwire is the best band remaining in this competition. But I’ve made no secret of the fact that, in my opinion, the best band in the competition, Franklin Bridge, was sent packing weeks ago.
    2. The Clark Brothers. It’s impossible to dislike these guys, and I’ve tried, but they are so humble; so nice, and so worthy of love, they warm your heart. On this night, however, they were simply out-classed by Sixwire. Lonestar’s Amazed started out brilliantly, with Ashley’s haunting vocals taking center stage, but fizzled toward the end. This is a hugely popular song that requires strong vocals. Ashley connects to his music better than anyone on this show; especially when he’s dialed into that soulful eye thing that drives the ladies crazy, but in my opinion, he simply doesn’t have the pipes to power this song. Even with nothing except a toned-down steel guitar and one acoustic guitar supporting, he couldn’t generate enough power to man these lyrics. The Eric Clapton cover was even worse. Eric was born to sing the blues and christened on an electric guitar (except for Jimi Hendrix, is there anyone better?). The Clark brothers go into battle with a six-string steel guitar, acoustic guitar, fiddle, and mandolin; and most of the time they only use two of their weapons, so why would the judges ask them to cover Change the World; a song with distinctive and difficult electric guitar blues riffs, a well known bass line, and drums? I don’t get it. This song sounded nothing like the original; Ashley is very soulful, but is way out of his depth singing the blues. The harmony was noticeably missing; as was the guitar solo. They never found the heart of this song. For fear of blasphemy, I won’t say much about This Little Light of Mine/Faith, Faith, Faith, except that Ashley appeared transfixed in an out-of-body experience (is this what they mean by The Rapture?). I’m not a religious person, but just in case there really is a hell, I don’t want blasphemy to be the reason I end up there. Musically, these guys lost ground to Sixwire tonight, but I'm not sure it matters. These guys are hugely popular, and that usually translates into a huge profit margin. If I were picking a band to invest in, I'd pick The Clark Brothers over Sixwire (nothing personal; just business).
    3. Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. Earth, Wind, and Fire’s September was robbed of both rhythm and blues by the lead singer; The Ides of March R&B cover, Vehicle, was also neutered; and The Way You Move Me, apparently a love song, was shouted down and strangled of meaning. I don’t understand it (don’t need to), but I do respect the fact that America loves this band. I never attack taste; music is art, and art affects each of us differently; there’s nothing right or wrong about it; it requires no explanation and cannot be quantified or justified. One writer said; "art should not mean, but be". But this show has convinced me of one thing. The Next Great American Band is more aptly named The Next Great Country/Pop Band, a television show where traditional, alterative, neo, or progressive R&B and Rock bands are poorly received, unloved, and ultimately euthanized. The show's format is such that Hard Rock and R&B Bands cannot compete on even footing and cannot win. American Idol, on the other hand, is more diversified and fair; more tolerant and appreciate of other music genres. The last six winners on that show have come from R&B, country, rock, and pop.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 12-15-2007 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2721329;
    Maybe... We have seen on more than one occasion what this group is capable of when they put their full force into a cause. It'll be interesting to see if it happens again.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I haven't been able to watch the full show yet...I've only seen Clark Brothers and Sixwire's performances online so I can't say anything about DMHO yet.

As much as I love the Clark Brothers...I didn't enjoy their performance or rendition of "Change the World". It took me a few seconds to even realize what they were singing. I would love to see them sing several gospel songs because I love to watch them become engrossed in those songs. Makes me feel like jumping up and down and screaming "Hallejuah"!

If I was only basing it on last night's performances, I thought Sixwire sounded better than the Clark Brothers but I really would be happy with either of them winning. I even like DMHO (haven't seen last night's performances though) but I don't want to see them win.

liedenfrost, I wished you posted more often because I always enjoy reading your thoughts and perspectives on these shows. I especially loved:

Country music could use another Sawyer Brown
    I had never thought of that but Sixwire does kinda have that vibe to them!

Iím not a religious person, but just in case there really is a hell, I donít want blasphemy to be the reason I end up there

I never attack taste; music is art, and art affects each of us differently; thereís nothing right or wrong about it; it requires no explanation and cannot be quantified or justified. One writer said; "art should not mean, but be".
    Nicely said...
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast