+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/6 Show Discussion

MRD

Re: 12/6 Show Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2710661;
    I didn't really get Dicko's criticism of the Clarks, but he has his opiniin. I did get the criticism of LOD though. They sucked.....again.
    I did because I said the same thing before he said it. It was like a formula for a country song. Hokey and been done and done and done ad naseum.

I did like the clarks Queen song ok this week. LOVED Sixwire and couldn't even listen to Denver. With him its the same song different words each week. The rest of the family said the same.

I don't even know why I'm still watching. I don't really like any of these people anymore.

LOD sucked.

I wanted to hear Dot, Dot, Dot as they've grown on me.

I can't believe Denver is still around.

As for winning it, bleh, none of them. Although I do like sixwire better than the others, but not all that much. I doubt I would buy a CD of them.

I do think they did a good job with Fat Bottomed Girls. Queen is so hard to do and they just did it their way and it actually worked. I felt better about them doing that cover than almost any other cover that's been done by any of the other bands on any of the other shows.

That said, I'm bored, bored, bored.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

As I indicated in last week's thread, I'm starting to hate Denver despite loving the MHO. Dicko is right, he's a wedding singer and not a very good one at that.

LoD... what can I say? That was ghastly, but expected.

Clarks? I'm not sure at this point. I do like them better with some percussion as it allows them to play more melody, but I'm getting tired of the folksiness. If you don't like going fast, don't drive on the highway.

I really enjoyed Sixwire, expecially the original. Not sure I'd buy their CD, but, to my taste, they're the best remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2711118;
    I don't even know why I'm still watching. I don't really like any of these people anymore.
    I'm not watching. Well, not really. I kind of surfed back and forth for the first half hour and then gave up entirely due to profound boredom. I will be finding something else to do with my time next Friday.

I did because I said the same thing before he said it. It was like a formula for a country song. Hokey and been done and done and done ad naseum.
    Truly. Could they be any more the cliche cheeseball downhome band?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;2710986;
    The Top Four: December 07, 2007
    If some of you DIDN'T see the post I'm quoting from above, go back and read it. Liedenfrost knows the game. Your appraisal of LOD is dead on accurate, and makes me think that you are in the entertainment industry. There is no relevance to these kids, other that being a novelty act. I don't think that's what they are going for. If they are, that's OK, but they have to have some relevance. Weird Al has made an entire career out of being a novelty, but the reason why he's still around is because he keeps updating his act. These kids either need to find their own sound, or do a better job at mocking their predecessors.

MRD

Well Dicko told them last night that he hear's too much of their influences and not enough of them.

I think LOD will probably do ok. There is a market for their kind of music. Not particularly my market. I do like some metal. But I think that they are incredible musicians. They need a better singer though and I bet in a few years they will be incredible.

But remember Stevie Winwood and Stevie Wonder, Lee Ann Rimes and Tanya Tucker all started when they were not too much older than these kids. Oh and Derek Trucks was wowing audiences when he was 14. And the Osmonds and Jackson's had small kids. So its not that they are too young, just need to be polished up more I think. And better vocals.

The Clarks original song reminded me of a fill in the blank form for a country song. I think given a Mad Libs pad, I could have come up with a less cliched one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Now

Makes you wonder if 'final four' shocker is in store. Sixwire and the Clarks are both in the same genre, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggieviewer;2712085;
    Now

Makes you wonder if 'final four' shocker is in store. Sixwire and the Clarks are both in the same genre, after all.
    Well, I don't see DDD's votes going anywhere but LoD (for the few voters who stick with the show despite the lack of an adult rock band). The Clarks and DMHO are splitting a voting block as are Clarks/Sixwire. Wouldn't surprise me.

If AI is any indicator, 2nd and 3rd are great places to be. Enough exposure to get signed without all the restrictions the winner has.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;2711196;
    As I indicated in last week's thread, I'm starting to hate Denver despite loving the MHO. Dicko is right, he's a wedding singer and not a very good one at that.

LoD... what can I say? That was ghastly, but expected.

Clarks? I'm not sure at this point. I do like them better with some percussion as it allows them to play more melody, but I'm getting tired of the folksiness. If you don't like going fast, don't drive on the highway.

I really enjoyed Sixwire, expecially the original. Not sure I'd buy their CD, but, to my taste, they're the best remaining.
    I have no history watching this show (I have caught up a bit on the website) and Friday was my first viewing. Aceon6's post pretty much says my first impression of these bands.

Light of Doom looks and sounds like a bubblegum band with excellent guitar work. It's their voices - still changing and haven't developed the gravity needed for true metal work. During this time in their professional lives, maybe they would consider taking it away from attempting metal and veer into pop.

WOW! Nashville turned them out for this competition.

It's interesting that electric strings, which are supposed to be making a splash in mainstream at this time, are one of the featured bands. The Clark Bros "country 101" comment was correct, IMO, for their original, though. Would there be a way for them to bring originality with their arrangements and writing to a crossover audience?

Denver and The Mile High Orchestra (how clever) do seem more like a Wedding or party band than a viable niche or mainstream recording band. To me, they sounded like a back up orchestra for Michael Buble - I expected a seque to a Frank Sinatra standard. I don't understand how they can be a stand-alone band rather than a support band.

And as pointed out, that leaves SixWire. I went to the website to listen to past performance and read a bit of the band bio. They really do reflect their influences with the tight harmony and smooth arrangements. I can see where you all have commented that they are boring, but of the four bands left, they do have the most commercial appeal. Now - if they could squeeze a tad more New Age into their country strums, that would be interesting.

I'm glad I finally found this show, if only for the finals.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

From the beginning, this is anyone's competition to win. Never in a million years would I have expected TMHO to be in the final four.

If I had to guess, I'd give the nod to Sixwire, with the Clarks running very close behind. I don't think the Clarks have a commercial enough country sound to beat out Sixwire, whose sound is indiscernible from people like Keith Urban and Big and Rich.

And as talented as the kids of LOD are, they're only half-baked as a band. If they somehow manage to stick it out together until they're a few years older, their songwriting is bound to mature and they'll find their own sound. Their singer is the weak link right now, but he has definite potential and again, with a few years of voice lessons, he'll be just as good as most heavy metal or hard rock vocalists. There are some really young bands that have produced some fantastic music - mrd named some, but the one that springs to my mind is Days of the New, who had a fabulous debut CD, but basically fell apart (well, I guess Travis Meeks fell apart). They haven't been able to recapture their early success - unfortunate, since Meeks is a huge talent.
    There's hope for LOD yet. They sound like Iron Maiden clones right now, but they've indicated influences like Alice in Chains, who were an amazing hard rock outfit with a unique sound. I think they'll figure it out eventually, but it would be to their benefit if their album debut is later rather than sooner.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2712658;
    (LoD) I think they'll figure it out eventually, but it would be to their benefit if their album debut is later rather than sooner.
    I agree with later rather than sooner. The guitar work is super as was their musicianship, but they are at an awkward age to be anything other than pop right now. I hope they do stay together and once they can write from their own experiences they should really stand out. Blasting heavy metal will need to be re-invented by the time they reach their late teens and maybe, by then, they will be the ones to do it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast