+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/6 Show Discussion

Re: 12/6 Show Discussion

I didn't really get Dicko's criticism of the Clarks, but he has his opiniin. I did get the criticism of LOD though. They sucked.....again.

I loved Sixwires song. Really good. I'm pretty lonely here. If typing made echoes there would be some strong ones going on.

FORT Newbie

Hey Razorbacker, I'm on the west coast and can't see the show yet. Have DMHO performed tonight or are they off? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmccready;2710679;
    Hey Razorbacker, I'm on the west coast and can't see the show yet. Have DMHO performed tonight or are they off? Thx.
    DMHO does perform.

FORT Newbie

Thank you!

I am in the minority here, but I liked Light of Doom's version of We Will Rock You.

FORT Fanatic

I'm still a Clark brother fan all the way. I wonder if there is any significance as to which band plays first. On Idol, first spot seems to be a good place to get kicked off from and last to play pretty much guarantees safety. Has there been any pattern with this show?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Glad Dot Dot Dot is gone.

Liked the Clark Brothers with the new band members, but prefer them as a trio. I thought Dicko was right about their original song. Just had a country bumpkin feel to the lyrics for me.

I thought LoD was going to be good when they started the Queen joint, but then they went to Hell in a hand basket. And just when I thought it couldn't get worse, they sang their original song. I gotta think they're gone this week.

I so want to like DMHO, but they just keep falling short of the mark. I'm afraid they just don't have the right stuff to win.

Which leaves us with Sixwire. I don't see how anyone is going to knock them out at this point. They seem to have it all. However, we've seen how formidable the Country music fan base can be when they put their mind to it. So, who knows?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Well, just damn...i missed the show, because I set to record and got 'Don't Forget the Lyrics' instead. Will ANGB be at 8 or 9 next week? And does anyione know if I can see this week's show online somewhere? I hate it when this happens!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

The Top Four: December 07, 2007

1. Six Wire. The cover of Queen’s Fat Bottom Girl was actually the Eric Church arrangement, not the original hard rock composition, but who cares? Last season, one of the American Idol posters directed me to Eric Church. He’s good, and Six Wire did him proud tonight. It’s a good thing guys like Freddie Mercury, Eric Church, and Trace Adkins (Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) like big bottom girls. It’s a fun song and Six Wire made sure the fun stayed put. The reason I wasn’t sold on Six Wire at the start is because I thought they took themselves (and their music) too seriously. Lately, their musical philosophy has transitioned into a more commercial sound; very contemporary, edgy, light-hearted, and relatable. Sheila E is right. With 19 Entertainment and CKX, Inc behind them, these guys will sell a lot of records...if they can distance themselves from The Clark Brothers and win this thing. The ballad, Go On, was a bit intense for me, but was well constructed. Andy recognized his subject matter, connected to his lyrics, left that goofy, inappropriate smile backstage tonight, and gave this song the attention it deserved. Good for him. Six Wire should waltz into the next round.
    2. The Clark Brothers. These are the Days of our Lives is a song about reminiscence, lost innocence, and first love. Ashley is not a strong technical singer, but doesn’t need to be. Somehow, he’s learned to feel his music and bear his soul on stage; a difficult thing for many singers to do, especially male singers. Because he has accepted vulnerability as a life experience, he can project emotion in his music; he is a true artist. I am blown away by this band and what they can do with string instruments. At first, I agreed with Dicko that they needed more muscle; e.g.; drums and/or acoustic guitars, but now that I've seen it, I think they sounded better before, without drums. I know why Dicko suggested it; we are used to hearing drums in pop, country, rock, and R&B compositions, but in my opinion, drums only diminished this band tonight; they don't need drums. Homestead, the original composition, can be heard at any local, old-fashioned ho-down. Fun stuff, but not a serious composition, and, certainly not commercial. These guys should advance easily.
    3. Light of Doom. I won’t pile on these kids, except to say We Will Rock You was left wanting. On the other hand, I disagree with judges about A Matter of Time. It wasn’t as good as Six Wire’s Go On; but it was certainly the equal of The Clark Brothers’ Homestead; and infinitely better than Denver and the Mile High Orchestra's Big White House. It was also the musical equivalent of All Along the Watch Tower and Flight of Icarus, which the judges liked. I feel bad for these kids; I don’t think they understand how the game is played. These shows aren't about votes and musical excellence; they’re about finding new talent with a palpable commercial appeal. This show, like all Idol shows, is an extension of CKX, Inc. and its mission. It doesn’t matter who wins, only that cash is generated. Sometimes, judges turn on a contestant because the band deserves it, but sometimes they do it because the contestant/band with the most votes is polling lower commercial numbers than others. Yes, its entertainment for us (I love these shows), but I'm not blind. I don’t know if Light of Doom is polling well or not, but I do know they can’t possibly have a higher commercial appeal than Six Wire or The Clark Brothers (country music sells more records than other genres combined). Light of Doom is a teenage heavy metal band with a seventies sound. What is their value in a market where the highest selling cd this week among their peers is High School Musical? In order to increase marketability in the rock market, these kids may want to consider modernizing to a contemporary alternative heavy metal sound like System of a Down or Yellowcard. If that’s too radical, then at least to a more traditional (and more successful) industrial heavy metal sound; e.g., the hugely popular Nine Inch Nails, or Pearl Jam.
    4. Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. Posturing, posing, and pretending. This is not a very good band. They remind me of a first year piano student attempting the Rach Three.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 12-08-2007 at 04:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast