+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: 11/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;2701245;
    They really need a frontwoman.

I grew up with Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, Tower of Power etc. I love bands with great horn sections. Unfortunately for DMHO they don't have a contemporary sound. They're more a Big Band sound. I just don't see them having much commercial success outside of this competition.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Newbie

DoD should have been gone weeks ago. The Clark Brothers ARE the ones to beat. Those who don't agree don't know the business like the judges. My wife had the same response as Shelia E.

I finally had the opportunity to watch & I would love to say I am shocked at the response to some of the performances around here, but nothing shocks me anymore. I have never, & probably will never, understand the statement "he sucks the life out of the vocals." I have seen it stated in response to what Ashley does & I reckon I am just on the utside looking in because for me, he always brings the song to life. The Brothers always seem to find the heart of a song & delve right in. They are not only the ones to beat, but I see them winning big time. I think the only thing that can derail them is the fact that the show is on Friday night & most of the viewers are LOD'S age & power voters.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2701404;
    I have never, & probably will never, understand the statement "he sucks the life out of the vocals."
    Conversely, I can't understand why his vocals would be appreciated. But there will always be at least two opinions on every subject. Example: Many people think Barbra Streisand's the cat's pajamas. I think she's vocally flat and I don't get the appeal. Example 2: Many people don't care much for the vocal stylings of Jack White. I think his voice is colourful and infuses his songs with a great deal of feeling and emotion. So, different strokes.

BTW, I used to be a singer in my younger days, and my husband is a drummer/producer with his band, so I'm not a complete dilettante when it comes to this stuff.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

All righty then. I bow to the superior musical background.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2701704;
    All righty then. I bow to the superior musical background.
    I'm not actually suggesting that I have a superior musical background, only that my opinion shouldn't be discounted because I'm not actually a preteen voter. And honestly, I mentioned the fact that I'm (or actually was) a singer primarily in reponse to the post before yours that suggests that people who don't like The Clarks don't know what they're talking about.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

We should all keep in mind that taste in music, like any art, is very, VERY subjective. All of us here are simply stating preference - none of us are music execs, like Dicko Dickson or Simon Cowell, whose job it is to find artists who are not only talented, but have the ability to sell records. Everyone's opinions are welcomed and appreciated here, regardless of musical background.

Most of us know a really bad singer when we hear one, but not everyone will agree on what a good one sounds like. I mean, my favourite singer EVER is Janis Joplin, and lots of my friends think that I'm tone deaf (which very well may be true ) and that she's absolutely horrible.

So with that out of the way - I will agree with liedenfrost and give Sixwire the winning performance this week. It was the most accessible, not to mention very entertaining and well-played (bass solo notwithstanding ). My own personal favourite is again the Clarks, though I preferred last week's song to this week's. I'm not sure that I want another band member added to their mix, though, as Dicko suggested. Even if it is another "Clark brother". There's a certain mystique to just the three of them being onstage together.

More and more, though, it's looking as though LOD might actually pull off a win here. They obviously have a lot of support in the live audience - I would love to see the actual voting numbers. I guess it is the "gimmicky" part of their act (their age), after all, that's winning over fans, because I really don't see how '80'-style metal is drawing a big audience.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

So, at least I didn't have to fast forward past Sixwire this week--they did a bar-band performance of a song that's fun when you're drinking
    I still wouldn't pay to see them live.
    Anyway, I'm just bracing myself for next week and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;2700981;
    [ Adam likes Glam Rock; Rod Stewart began his career in Glam Rock. Adam is androgynous; so is Rod Stewart. .
    Come again? I do not get this at all. If nothing else, Rod Stewart had been well known way before the Glam Rock phasee of the 70's, and I never heard that term applied to him anyway. (Think T Rex, Mott the Hoople, David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust, New York Dolls, etc. That's Glam Rock. )
    I never saw him as androgynous either. Sure, some weird clothes were worn, but I wouldn't say there was any confusion as to Rod's sexuality!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2701927;
    Come again? I do not get this at all. If nothing else, Rod Stewart had been well known way before the Glam Rock phasee of the 70's, and I never heard that term applied to him anyway. (Think T Rex, Mott the Hoople, David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust, New York Dolls, etc. That's Glam Rock. )
    I never saw him as androgynous either. Sure, some weird clothes were worn, but I wouldn't say there was any confusion as to Rod's sexuality!
    I agree with all of this. I thought that I may have missed something back then, but to the best of my knowledge, Rod was always known as a hard drinking, womanizing, soccer playing lad. And while I'm far more familiar with his music as one of the Faces rather than his solo stuff, I know that they were a rock/pop band, not a glam band.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast