+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Oh lord. The Metal Babies just WON'T DIE!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2700326;
    It finally came to me, who Tres Bien remind me of. The Wayouts, from the Flintstones. It's been bugging me for weeks.
    The guy on the left reminds me of Ernie from My Three Sons.

LoD's singer is much better this week - less monotone. Maybe there is hope for him.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2700329;
    The guy on the left reminds me of Ernie from My Three Sons.

Heh! It's My Three Wayouts.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I guess its just me who thinks that EVERY Light of Doom song sounds, well... pretty much identical to every other Light of Doom song.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by itsmenancy_38;2700321;
    I have to agree with you Rattus. I did not enjoy the Clark brothers performance at all. And give me a break Sheila E!!
    I am with you on this. I hated their performance. I logged on just to say what the Hell was that?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Why won't Dot Dot Dot go away???
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Dot Dot Dot needs to Leave Leave Leave

The Top Five: November 30, 2007

1. Six Wire. These guys are intelligent; they get it. In the early rounds, the judges loved them, because of their musicianship, but later soured on them, because of low entertainment value. Six Wire listened, and is successfully bridging the gap between studio musicianship and stage performance. The moment I learned the song choice, I knew this was a perfect union of a musician and lyrics. Andy isn’t even in the same stratosphere as Rod Stewart when it comes to selling ballads, but he entered this competition with a doctorate in Sex Marketing. The very things that sometimes put me off about this band (the stoic facial expressions, cheesy smiles, and shameless sexing the camera) were perfectly applied to Rod Stewart’s musically challenged Hot Legs. Nobody cares about these lyrics anyway; they’re vacant, cheap, and sleazy; you need the right chromosome to appreciate them. I do. Serious rock enthusiasts won’t get much from the music track either, unless they understand R&B fusion. I do. This was easily Six Wire’s best performance; wonderful musicianship, infectious energy, and powerful guitar licks. More importantly, they shed that goody two-shoe, choir boy image; got down and dirty; and partied with us tonight. I like that. Before this, I didn’t think these guys even knew how to have fun or party. I was wrong about them. I can now relate to them as men, as well as musicians. These guys will stroll into the next round, and the next, etc.
    2. The Clark Brothers. I agree with Sheila E. What a unique, surreal, passionate, and innovative adaptation of You’re In My Heart. The mandolin progressions were elegant, surreal, and spine-tingling. Ashley’s vocal did not match his music; he was flat at the start, and the harmony between he and Austin never quite found the right frequency, but it didn’t matter because these guys made beautiful music tonight. I’ve questioned Ashley’s commitment previously, but not tonight. He disappeared inside these lyrics and projected them with emotion and honesty. He reached out to us and took us to private places. I believed every word. This was the best performance of the night; the best performance we’ve seen this season; something very special.
    3. Light of Doom. Not one of their better performances. Dicko criticized Denver and the Mile High Orchestra because they didn’t find the pocket. These kids couldn’t find it either. In my opinion, it was a mistake to tackle Infatuation; it’s not a good fit for a heavy metal band; it’s a pop song; it’s loaded with synthesizers; Jeff Beck has a distinctive blues/rock style; Rod Stewart has a unique, atonal, raspy voice; and the lyrics are not for kids (they’re loaded with lust and desire). If you’ve heard the original version, it’s only natural to compare the two; this cover did not measure up. As he sometimes does, Mitchell rushed the tempo; Dillon is good, but not Jeff Beck good (yet), so couldn’t generate the same sound (a different guitar, I know, but they chose the song); and even though Eric sounded better tonight, he did not seem to know what he was singing about. In a way, that’s a good thing, because if he did, I wouldn’t let him near my daughter. These guys are precocious, skilled musicians, and should be respected as such. They’ve got lots to learn, and won’t win this competition, but as a band, they have all the right stuff. They’ll get there. Off topic: they idolize and sound like Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin, but the stage theatrics are very reminiscent of ZZ Top.
    4. Dot Dot Dot. Did not enjoy this performance either. On the surface, it appeared a good fit. Adam likes Glam Rock; Rod Stewart began his career in Glam Rock. Adam is androgynous; so is Rod Stewart. Adam is a real rocker; Rod used to be one (Maggie) before he sold out. But there are fundamental differences that separate Dot Dot Dot and Young Turks. Punk rock is about individual freedom, so doesn’t lend itself easily to adaptation. Young Turks is a classic; a song that resists adaptation; it can’t be performed in double time and still hold its meaning. The original version also features a sustained electric guitar bassline that was noticeably absent in the Dot Dot Dot cover (where was Rose?). For the first time this season, Adam seemed disinterested. I have to wonder if Light of Doom and Dot Dot Dot aren’t becoming a little tired and frustrated because they must learn and adopt music genres so removed from their own.
    5. Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. Not for me. Good guys, likeable guys, but musically vanilla, slick, and cheesy; too rehearsed. The lead singer is a stage performer, not an artist. There’s noting about this band that suggests commercial success or musical excellence; nothing that compares to Harry Connick Jr. or Michael Buble. But it doesn’t matter what I think; America loves them and I respect their choices; so Dot Dot Dot and Light of Doom have reason to worry.

Question: Why is John Reznik so sensitive? He’s a cool dude, I like the hell out this guy; but he’s slow to criticize, even when warranted. Worse, he gets upset when the studio audience criticizes him. I suppose that sensitivity is what makes him one of rock music best balladeers (he’s true artist and musician), but that same sensitivity doesn’t look good on a judge. He’s becoming the Paula Abdul of The Next Great American band. Not necessarily a bad thing, I guess, Paula is my favorite judge on American Idol.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 12-01-2007 at 05:53 AM.

I liked Sixwire and DDD the best this week.
    DMHO is suffering due to Denver who sounds like one of the many Sinatra imitators who were on the radio in the 40s and 50s. They really need a frontwoman.
    I am surprised by LoD. I didn't expect them to be able to handle new arrangements and they're doing well. The lead is improving, but not enough for me to vote for them.
    I didn't like the Clark's dirge like arrangement live. It was radio friendly, but nothing worth watching, which is what this show is about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast