+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 11/23 Show Discussion

MRD

Re: 11/23 Show Discussion

I've heard some great Stones covers in my time, but last night was not one of those times.

I just don't know why I hate the Clarks. I like folk music, I like bluegrass and blues. I like everything really. My daughter hates Dot, Dot, Dot, but I think they remind me of my younger days in the 80's rocking out to MTV and bands that sounded and looked like them. I even liked Wham back then.

But the Clarks just don't do it for me. And I don't know why. There are some great local bands here in SC that play similar type music to the Clarks, using similar instruments and I love them. I just am not feeling it for the Clarks for some reason.

Funny, but I love Elton John almost as much as the Stones and I liked Elton nigt better than STones night because I just thought most of the bands didn't get it. Even adapting songs to their own style is fine, but sometimes that falls flat and most of those did.

I remember when JD did California Dreaming on RockStar INXS and I LOVED it and most people hated it and hated what he did to such a great song. It's always been one of my favorite songs and its funny but now I prefer his version to the Mamas and the Papas. So covers can go either way with me. Just last night most went the other way.

One of the reasons I never took to Guns N Roses was all the covers that they did that I thought they did badly. But yet, some of those same songs they covered, I've heard covered by other people and liked them.

Actually, I am not a fan of American Idol and we started watching this hoping it would be different and it was, its bands and they did do some original stuff at first and now its kind of back to being American Idol with bands and I think that the Clarks remind me of most of the American Idol contestants and winners that I just don't like. That's probably closer to anything else I can think of why I don't like them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Clark Brothers--Mandolin Wind
    Sixwire--You Wear it Well or Sailling
    Dot Dot Dot--Balltrap or the Wild Side of Life
    Light Of Doom--The First cut is the Deepest
    Tres Bien!-- Young Turks (although I really hate that song)
    DMHO-hope they are gone because there is nothing I can put down that I think they will do any different than they've done the last 3 performances. They might as well do that sucky, Do you think I'm sexy.

My favorite Rod Stewart song is The Killing of Georgie parts 1 & 2 followed by Tonights the Night.

I probably played "A Night on the Town" about a million times when I was in high school. I still play it a lot.

I think LOD could do a really rocking version of Hot Legs, but its not very appropriate for them and I doubt they even know who Rod Stewart is.

I think its time for LOD to go the way of other great hair bands and do an "anthem". Not everything has to be pounding heavy metal Rock.
    Think Kiss' Beth and well, I can't think of others, but I know there are some.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I totally agree with you queenb that Queen should NEVER be covered...no one can do Freddie Mercury better than Freddie Mercury! That being said, I did like Constantine doing Bohemian Rhapsody though!

I loved JD's version of "California Dreamin'" mrd...its on my mp3 player!

I'm wondering if the reason they aren't doing more original songs is maybe because some of the bands (first thought-LOD) doesn't have a big catalog of self written songs. That isn't a requirement to be a successful band nowadays and it wouldn't be fair if they had to sing the same song over and over each week that they do originals. On the flip side, it also puts the ones who DO have quite a few originals at a disadvantage also...they aren't allowed to show their (possibly) strong side/style either.

My favorite song by Rod Stewart is "Maggie May"....I don't really know if any of those would be good singing that though.

DMHO (if they are still in it next week) could sing "Twisting the Night Away" or "Having a Party" or "This Ole Heart of Mine".

Light of Doom could sing "Every Picture Tells A Story".

Dot Dot Dot could sing "You wear it Well".

Sixwire could sing "Reason to Believe".

The Clark Brothers could sing "Mandolin Wind".

I'm stuck on what Tres Bien! could sing........I'll have to think on that a little longer....

I'm really not any good at picking out songs for other bands to sing....
    Last edited by bbnbama; 11-24-2007 at 10:00 AM.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2689238;
    But the Clarks just don't do it for me. And I don't know why. There are some great local bands here in SC that play similar type music to the Clarks, using similar instruments and I love them. I just am not feeling it for the Clarks for some reason.
    Well, you and I can take a ride on the Non-Clarks train . I've been trying to figure out why I don't like them either, but really, I should. I love roots music and they have a mandolin, which I believe I have mentioned is my absolutely favourite musical instrument, and they are phenomenal players. I think the issue may be the singer. While I was listening to them play last night, I was feeling a discord between the music (intense and well-played) and the vocals (lacklustre and insipid). Perhaps if they dug around through their family vault they might come up with someone who wasn't quite so pretty, but could do a decent job howling out a tune.

ETA: Oh yeah, since they have a mandolin, I would think that Mandolin Wind would be a given for them next week. I'm can't make a pick for other song/band combos because my favourte Rod Steward album was A Nod is as Good as a Wink to a Blind Horse, and I infinitely preferred Ronnie Lane's songs on that album. I kept thinking, oooh, Debris, and then remembering that Ronnie sang it.

ETA YET AGAIN: I see bbnbama and I agree on that particular song choice .
    Last edited by Rattus; 11-24-2007 at 10:31 AM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2689292;
    Well, you and I can take a ride on the Non-Clarks train . I've been trying to figure out why I don't like them either, but really, I should. I love roots music and they have a mandolin, which I believe I have mentioned is my absolutely favourite musical instrument, and they are phenomenal players. I think the issue may be the singer. While I was listening to them play last night, I was feeling a discord between the music (intense and well-played) and the vocals (lacklustre and insipid). Perhaps if they dug around through their family vault they might come up with someone who wasn't quite so pretty, but could do a decent job howling out a tune.

ETA: Oh yeah, since they have a mandolin, I would think that Mandolin Wind would be a given for them next week. I'm can't make a pick for other song/band combos because my favourte Rod Steward album was A Nod is as Good as a Wink to a Blind Horse, and I infinitely preferred Ronnie Lane's songs on that album. I kept thinking, oooh, Debris, and then remembering that Ronnie sang it.

ETA YET AGAIN: I see bbnbama and I agree on that particular song choice .
    Me too. On paper, I should like them, but I don't and I think you hit it that the singer and the music just don't mesh all that well. I agree they are great musicians, but I just don't care for them.

so now that we all agree they should do Mandolin Wind, I'm sure they'll do something else.

DMHO (if they are still in it next week) could sing "Twisting the Night Away"
    I think they would do a good job with this one, Bama.

Add me to the list of never cover Queen. The night they did it on AI, I wanted to cry. It's just not right.

That being said, I think Sixwire will win this competition.

MRD

I agree no Queen covers. Not even Queen who has that guy from Bad Company singing for them. Just not the same as Mercury.

I would like to hear the Clarks do Reason To Believe. Sixwire You Wear it Well. 3 Dots This Old Heart of Mine. LOD Young Turks. Tres Bien Do Ya Think I'm Sexy. And if they are still around TMHO Downtown Train.

Y'all don't forget there are other Rod Stewart songs with mandolin--Maggie May, for one.
    As to why they keep doing covers, I suspect it's because the producers assume the viewing public would rather hear songs they already know. Hopefully they will have at least a couple of weeks with originals again when they get to the top 4 bands.
    I also wonder why, if they feel they must do covers, why they are all in the classic pop/rock category. how about country, R&B, newer rock, or whatever? Maybe they will change the formula some if this gets picked up for another year, although I strongly doubt that will happen.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2688937;
    I will be one of the people following Old No. 7 on myspace, thanks Reznick.

I wish I knew what they were planning to play.
    Go to the 'green room' on the main website -

The Next Great American Band: MSN TV

You can see Cliff and #7's version of 'Take me back to the delta'. It's great.

I wish they'd tell people about the green room. You can see all the songs that the groups who were voted off had prepared but weren't able to sing on TV.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast