+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 11/23 Show Discussion

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: 11/23 Show Discussion

The final act is Dot Dot Dot...

They will be singing "Let's Spend the Night Together"
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Huh. Very much to my surprise, I'm kind of starting to like DDD a little bit. I'll never, ever buy their CD (but then, I'm not likely to buy any CD from any band on this show), but no longer feel compelled to leave the room when they're on.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Next week is the music of Rod Stewart!

My rankings for tonight:
    The Clark Brothers
    Sixwire
    Dot Dot Dot
    Tres Bien!
    Light of Doom
    DMHO

Wow, wow, wow for the Clarks and Sixwire. Tres Bien not far behind with a tame, but good performance.

I didn't care for DMHO (because of the genre), LoD (wrong key), or Dot Dot Dot (sounded like my neighbor's kids in their garage). I'd say DDD has the least potential, but DMHO may have been killed off by some Rolling Stones.

eta, #7 was so impressive in their gracious exit. I was happy to hear that they had gotten inspired by the competition and hope that they have long, happy and prosperous careers.
    Last edited by Aceon6; 11-23-2007 at 10:31 PM.

3 dots just leave me always shaking my head. I don't know if I like them or loathe them. But, they keep getting better. And I just bet female lead guitar goddessess from Guam are a dime a dozen. Go Rose.

I believe that win or lose the Clark Brothers will be heard from again. I rewatched that performance & it is just incredible what they put into that song & how many different levels they found. Like Dicko, I had goosebumps, it was riviting.

MRD

Well I am certainly not John, Sheila or Dicko tongith because I am VERY critical of EVERYONE'S performance and not just because I'm a huge Stones fan. I've heard other interpretations of Stones songs that I loved, but did not love tonight. If none of these bands could do a bang up Stones song, then I dread the coming weeks.

Once again, am mystified by the popularity of the Clark Brothers. I did feel that Gimme Shelter was the best song I've heard them do, but it still was awful in my opinion, but not nearly as bad as DMHO. I do give them effort for trying to sound edgy, but still the song style was awful. Somewhere Mick Jaggers ears were bleeding.

DMHO's last 3 performances have sounded exactly the same, but with different words. I LOVE big band. But I do not love this big band anymore. Denver has sunken to bad Vegas lounge act. They haven't even tried to grow musically. They just sucked and I couldn't even listen to the whole thing. I hope they go next week. I wish they had been the ones to leave this week.
    If he can do an Aaron Neville impersonation, then he could have done some good Stones blues because the STones have some very bluesy numbers. This band makes me feel like I'm 16 again and at the country club for the monthly dinner dance with my parents and their friends. A band my parents would dance to trying to do music I would listen too and making it sound like elevator music. Enough already, go back to doing what you do best and get off my tv.

I thought Dot, Dot, Dot had the best performance followed by Sixwire and Tres Bien (nod to the fact that Tres Bien is from Clearwater, FL and that is where Mick and Keith wrote Satisfaction, so felt that their little sample of it was a nod to that).

Dot, Dot, Dot, has grown on me a lot. I wouldn't buy their CD either, but they were not bad.

Tres Bien didn't surprise me. I figured they'd do one of 3 or 4 songs and Get off my Cloud was one of them.

Sixwire is usually not my type of music, but I do like them better than most of the other bands and I liked what they did tonight.

LOD did really bad tonight as well. The singer needs to quit trying to sing in such a low key. good song choice, but bad range for him, it was just monotone. I can't carry a tune in a paper bag and my family knows it and even they said I'd have sung better than LOD's singer tonight. Start me up might have been better for them. Also thought their guitars could have sounded better tonight. Rose definetly got the best guitar solo of the night for DDD.
    I like LOD, and I think they have great potential, but possibly need a new singer. Or this ones voice needs to change and soon, hurry up puberty.

If this is what the bands did with the Stones, not sure what to think about Rod Stewart next week. And if one of them does "Do you think I'm Sexy", then I'm done with the entire show. In fact, I'm almost done now because the Clarks are going to win it and I don't think it sould be them. Not sure who it should be, but not them.

I will be one of the people following Old No. 7 on myspace, thanks Reznick.

I wish I knew what they were planning to play.

Even if I were not a Stones fan, I don't think tonight would have been one of my favorite nights. I just didn't think it was a great show. I liked the Elton John night better.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    I wish I knew what they were planning to play.
    This is one thing I would have liked for TNGAB to change...even if the band is being booted, tell us what they were planning on singing!

I'm sorry you're not on The Clark Brothers love train mrd....me, razor, AJane and queenb would scoot over and let you sit with us on the train...

mrd, I watched the show tonight figuring you would hate it. There are a few artists that I love, and can't bear to hear their songs covered, so I can empathize with how you might feel listening to tonight's performances. I wonder if queenb felt the same.

I do have to disagree with you on one key thing - I think Mick & Keith would absolutely love the Clarks and their version of Gimme Shelter. I have only a very superficial knowledge of the Stones and their music, but I know they love old American blues and heritage music.

I'm actually surprised that the Clarks seem to have such wide appeal, though I'm curious if they're also attracting a younger age group and not just us middle-aged folks.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane, I don't really think I will ever hear a Stones cover I'd like better than the original, but I can stand to listen to it. (My choice for the band that never should be covered is Queen ) I didn't think any of these bands were outstandingly bad either, but I thought only the Clarks were outstandingly good--I loved their version of Gimme Shelter. I also thought Light of Doom was good musically, and I do hope they will learn to make changes to accomodate the singer. Sixwire did an good version of "the Last Time", and for once I didn't hit "FF" halfway through, but I still find them boring--they should do at least a little something different from the original. Dot Dot Dot is bugging me less every week, although I've never liked that particular song to begin with. I think we have seen the last of DMHO, then again I just can't get into that style of music so what do I know.

AJane, I bet at least the younger females like the Clarks, to look at if nothing else!

I'm going to do the Wish List again for next week

Clark Brothers--Gasoline Alley or Angel
    Sixwire--Hot Legs
    Dot Dot Dot--Blondes Have More Fun
    Light Of Doom-- Every Picture tells A Story
    Tres Bien!-- Stay with Me
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast