+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #31
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2682465;
    The only country artist that I have ever loved was Patsy Cline. I don't find the Clarks to be a country act. I'm not sure how to class them, or if I even want to. Their style (the acoustic instruments-only) and Ashley's vocals have me completely under their spell. I can't really describe what I like about them, but Ashley's vocals have the ability to move me, like Janis Joplin's always did.
    I think they transcend genres (for lack of a better term), somewhere between country, blues, and "roots", I guess.

    With such an extensive catalogue to choose from, I can't even begin to guess which songs are going to be performed this week. The only band I foresee having some difficulties may be Sixwire.

    mrd, since you're a big Stones fan, I'm interested to know what songs you would pick for the remaining bands to cover.

    Aw, I'm actually glad you asked.

    I'd like to see Cliff and old no. 7 do Dead Flowers

    I see Tres Bien doing some early stuff like maybe Get off of my cloud or possibly Mothers little helper, or even 19th nervous breakdown or It's all over now. Any of those might fit their style.

    LOD could really tear up Start me Up, its a good rocking song for them. I really hope they do NOT do satisfaction because while I like LOD, I don't think I could listen to 12 year olds telling me they can't get no satisfaction. Kind of sick there if you ask me. (although maybe they should do Time is on my side as it really is for them. )

    I actually could see Adam do a great version of Emotional Rescue for Dot, Dot, Dot. Because I can totally see him camping to the camera with the lyrics "I will be your knight in shinging armour, coming to your emotional rescue"

    And I'd love to hear the Clarks tackle Angie

    As for 6 wire, Honky Tonk Women might be good if they can really give it some oomph or even Waiting on a Friend if they decide to go with smooth and steady like they have been and not trying to rock out on anything.

    But I have a bad feeling that someone is going to try You Can't Always Get What you Want and I don't see any of these bands coming close to doing that song justice.

    You know, I just thought that Dot, Dot, Dot might also do Play with Fire.

    God, there are SO many great stone songs that it's going to be hard. But I'm willing to bet that Tres Bien goes with some 60's Stones. That one is a sure bet I think.

    ETA: Ooops, forgot about Denver and TMHO. I guess its my subconscious thinking they are going home this week.

    I absolutely cannot think of any song in the vast Stones catalog that I would want to hear TMHO do. Maybe they should really break genres and go with Shattered.

    Actually, Just my Imagination is probably something reasonably safe for TMHO.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-20-2007 at 08:59 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  2. #32
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,776

    Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2682465;
    The only country artist that I have ever loved was Patsy Cline. I don't find the Clarks to be a country act. I'm not sure how to class them, or if I even want to.
    If you ever go up into the Appalachians, look for some real mountain music, and then you will know what the clarks are all about. What the real old timers do up in the hills isn't really country or bluegrass as we usually hear it, it's more like the Clark Bros.

    You didn't ask me, but I'm a big Stones fan too, so I'll give you my picks. No fair that MRD gets to do all the predictin'!

    Sixwire--Wild Horses, or I Got the Blues
    Light of Doom-- It's Only Rock And Roll, or Jumpin' Jack Flash (don't dare give them Bitch or Brown Sugar )
    Dot Dot Dot-- Monkey Man, or 19th Nervous Breakdown
    Tres Bein-- The Last time, or Rip This Joint
    Wagner and the Old Number 7-- Honky Tonk Women or Sitting On A Fence
    Denver and the Mile High Orchestra-- She's A Rainbow, or sorry, MRD, Can't Always Get What You Want

    This is kind of fun--do the other 3 NGAB watchers want to guess?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  3. #33
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2684840;
    If you ever go up into the Appalachians, look for some real mountain music, and then you will know what the clarks are all about. What the real old timers do up in the hills isn't really country or bluegrass as we usually hear it, it's more like the Clark Bros.

    You didn't ask me, but I'm a big Stones fan too, so I'll give you my picks. No fair that MRD gets to do all the predictin'!

    Sixwire--Wild Horses, or I Got the Blues
    Light of Doom-- It's Only Rock And Roll, or Jumpin' Jack Flash (don't dare give them Bitch or Brown Sugar )
    Dot Dot Dot-- Monkey Man, or 19th Nervous Breakdown
    Tres Bein-- The Last time, or Rip This Joint
    Wagner and the Old Number 7-- Honky Tonk Women or Sitting On A Fence
    Denver and the Mile High Orchestra-- She's A Rainbow, or sorry, MRD, Can't Always Get What You Want

    This is kind of fun--do the other 3 NGAB watchers want to guess?

    Funny but Bitch came to mind too and figured no one would be allowed on Fox to do that one. Even Honkey Tonk Women might have questionable lyrics for prime time.
    Good picks. The problem with the stones is that they've got a MASSIVE catalog of songs, so trying to pick from that is hard. I'm assuming they are going to ask the bands to go with a reasonably well known song or maybe not.
    Your picks sound good too. Can't wait to see who does what.

    I saw a country/Blue grass band do Dead Flowers a few years ago and I haven't forgotten it so that's why I want Old no. 7 to do that one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  4. #34
    Rock Stars! bbnbama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Age
    48
    Posts
    10,755

    Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Since I'm one of the other 3 people watching TNGAB , I'd love to join in but I hang my head in shame and admit that I'm not familiar with all of the Stones songs so other than ones that have been hits or popular I couldn't choose any.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

  5. #35
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2685098;
    Since I'm one of the other 3 people watching TNGAB , I'd love to join in but I hang my head in shame and admit that I'm not familiar with all of the Stones songs so other than ones that have been hits or popular I couldn't choose any.
    Go ahead and speculate anyway. You probably know more Stones songs than you think.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  6. #36
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,355

    Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    All predictions welcome. I actually think LOD would do a great job on Brown Sugar, it's just not an appropriate song for them, lyrically.

    I think this will be a good week for Tres Bien! - I agree that their '60's sound will lend itself well to early Stones. I like mrd's choices for them, and I think I also like Jumpin' Jack Flash for LOD. And I cannot even begin to imagine what Denver & TMHO will sound like doing anything from the Stones catalogue.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  7. #37
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Would love to hear the Clark Bros. do Time Waits for No One. I think Ashley could tear it up.

  8. #38
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2685617;
    All predictions welcome. I actually think LOD would do a great job on Brown Sugar, it's just not an appropriate song for them, lyrically.

    I think this will be a good week for Tres Bien! - I agree that their '60's sound will lend itself well to early Stones. I like mrd's choices for them, and I think I also like Jumpin' Jack Flash for LOD. And I cannot even begin to imagine what Denver & TMHO will sound like doing anything from the Stones catalogue.

    I can no longer hear Jumpin' Jack Flash without envisioning Whoppee Goldberg saying: "Come on Mick, speak English!" in the movie of the same name while she's trying to listen to that song.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  9. #39
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    The only band/song choice I have would be The Clarks doing You've Got the Silver. While I don't generally care much for The Clarks for some reason, I do concede that they are fantastic musicians (probably much better as session players than an originals band) and YGTS is my favourite Stones song, and I wouldn't mind hearing it rootsed up with perhaps a little mandolin (my very favourite instrument in the entire world, followed closely by the accordian ).

    ETA: For some reason I thinking of DMHO doing Beast of Burden. Don't know why.
    Last edited by Rattus; 11-22-2007 at 10:28 AM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  10. #40
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2687118;
    The only band/song choice I have would be The Clarks doing You've Got the Silver. While I don't generally care much for The Clarks for some reason, I do concede that they are fantastic musicians (probably much better as session players than an originals band) and YGTS is my favourite Stones song, and I wouldn't mind hearing it rootsed up with perhaps a little mandolin (my very favourite instrument in the entire world, followed closely by the accordian ).

    ETA: For some reason I thinking of DMHO doing Beast of Burden. Don't know why.
    You've got the Silver is a great song. I forget about it and they probably would do it well. (I'm glad someone besides me doesn't care much for the Clarks. I felt all alone in that )

    Denver and Beast of Burden would actually be kind of funny.

    My daughter used to think Mick was singing: I'll never see your pizza burnin'
    So now I can't hear that song without thinking that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.