+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

liedenfrost, I really enjoy and appreciate your in-depth commentary - so glad to see you in here! - but I must agree with razorbacker - I wouldn't change a thing about the Clarks. A huge part of their charm is their acoustic style - hell, with their talent and presence, they don't need the subterfuge of additional instruments. I think it would crowd their sound, which I really believe is perfect the way it is.

Upon reflection, I'm also glad FB went home. Not because I didn't like them, because I did - for me, they were right behind the Clarks. However, their departure might spur some of the other bands, particularly Sixwire, to step up their game. I was brutally disappointed in Sixwire this week, and agree with judges - they just dialled in that performance. At least now it's clear that all the bands are at risk, every single week.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2674134;
    Oh hell no! That would ruin what this band is all about. I'm sure I'm the only one, but I much prefer the Clarks as they are, not as they would be if they tried to modernize with electic guitars, drums, keyboards or anything else.
    You're not the only one, I totally agree. We have enough of that guitar,amp, whatever stuff already (I'm not a huge fan of the guitar solos everyone seems to drool over, never have been). The Clark Brothers are awesome just the way they are.

My personal opinion (and I know nothing about music beyond what I find enjoyable), the Clark Brothers are head and shoulders above everyone else in the this competition.

I'm not sorry to see Franklin Bridge gone - but I was surprised. No doubt they're good musicians, but just not much fun to listen to (for me).

I'm beginning to like Dot Dot Dot, they're probably the most improved IMO.

Denver and Cliff both disappointed. I would expect Cliff to be gone next week.

Tres Bien is fun, I feel like I'm back in the 60s when I'm watching them. But I doubt they'll be around to the end either.

As for Sixwire - they should do very well on modern country radio - they're just as boring and sappy and ..um.. boring as most everything else out there today. As for sexy? I guess the lead singer is not bad looking - but I don't see any of them as particularly sexy. If I had the ability to vote one of these bands off - it would be them.

Quote Originally Posted by silvertoast;2674168;
    If playing as fast as possible merits winning the grand prize, then surely it is this band. Hurry, hurry, steel guiter boy is not playing fast enough. Go faster!
    That's not a steel guitar, it's a dobro.

Misty8723, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way about Sixwire. Boringest thing on the show, to me. I hate what's happened to country music. I've always been a rocker anyway for the most part, but on occasion , country used to be good. Now I never, ever, listen to any of it. I'd rather hear Willie Nelson, George Jones, Conway twitty, etc. if I needed a country fix.
    Last edited by queenb; 11-18-2007 at 07:24 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Interesting little tidbit of info I found out from Melinda Dolittle's Myspace Blog

Friday, October 26, 2007

Denver and the Mile High Orchestra!!!

Okay, ya'll....

I know I have been MIA for a minute here, but life has been very eventful in the last month. I am extremely grateful and a tad bit sleepy. :-)

I just wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know that my college buddies are on The Next Great American Band on FOX. I sang with them while I was in college and even got a chance to sing on one of their projects after college AND be on their live DVD. I think they are phenomenal and they are wonderful guys too! They mean the world to me and I am excited to get a chance to vote for them. So...the voting starts this Friday night on FOX and I would love it if you guys would pick up your phones and vote for Denver and the Mile High Orchestra just like you so graciously voted for us on AI. Thanks and I love you bunches!!!

Melinda
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2676184;
    Misty8723, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way about Sixwire. Boringest thing on the show, to me. I hate what's happened to country music. I've always been a rocker anyway for the most part, but on occasion , country used to be good. Now I never, ever, listen to any of it. I'd rather hear Willie Nelson, George Jones, Conway twitty, etc. if I needed a country fix.
    I like a little bit of everything from rock to country - and I absolutely hate what country has become. I'd also rather listen to Conway or Johnny Cash than anyone I've heard out there lately.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2676184;
    That's not a steel guitar, it's a dobro.

With a very few exceptions I refuse to listen to any Country that came after say, 1982. It's gotten so bland and boring. Give me George Jones or Johnny Cash or any of the other oldy goldies of country.

Sixwire is something I can't figure out though. I kind of like them, but to me they remind me more of the Eagles (but not as good). And I hate how all the good bands in the 70's are now classified as country when they were not necessarily so. Had Sixwire been around in the 70's, they would not be considered country music I think.

(I do like me some Dwight Yoakim though, but that's about it for new country. And I LOVED, LOVED LOVED the Kentucky Headhunters but they were just not around very long)

I still don't get the Clark Brothers. I've tried to like them and something about them just bothers me and I can't. Be interesting to see which Stones song they do this week. I'm betting it's NOT Sympathy for the Devil.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-20-2007 at 08:39 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I guess I go the opposite direction. With very few exceptions, I didn't like the "old country" at all. I really love the new stuff, I love the direction the genre is heading, & I don't find it in the least bit boring. There are so many great singers, songwriters, & musicians in the field now. The genre has never been healthier with more fans being added all the time.

The only country artist that I have ever loved was Patsy Cline. I don't find the Clarks to be a country act. I'm not sure how to class them, or if I even want to. Their style (the acoustic instruments-only) and Ashley's vocals have me completely under their spell. I can't really describe what I like about them, but Ashley's vocals have the ability to move me, like Janis Joplin's always did.
    I think they transcend genres (for lack of a better term), somewhere between country, blues, and "roots", I guess.

With such an extensive catalogue to choose from, I can't even begin to guess which songs are going to be performed this week. The only band I foresee having some difficulties may be Sixwire.

mrd, since you're a big Stones fan, I'm interested to know what songs you would pick for the remaining bands to cover.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane, one of the most astounding things I have seen occurred last Spring at Carrie's fan club party. She did an accoustic set of all her hits & included Alone. Anyway, during Wasted, Ashley just let fly with an absolutely astonishing fiddle solo. It was truly a pleasure to watch. He was such a great addition to Carries band with his harmonies & flying across the stage & rolling over on his back while jamming on the fiddle, he will be missed. He & his brothers are a lot of fun & great great musicians.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast