+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fanatic

Re: 11/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

My personal favourites are the Clark Brothers. They are wicked players! I think Tres Bien should go next.

I'm not even going to try to guess who will go home any more , but even though I don't care for Tres Bien and even less for DMHO, I've gotten where I usually get up and do some small chore while Sixwire is on; nothing there to see, and as far as listening, they aree booorrring to me.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

The Top Seven: November 16, 2007

1. Six Wire. Judges basically panned this performance, because the lead singer has chronic commitment issues with his lyrics, but compared to previous performances, this was his best. He gets high praise from me because Michael McDonald has a distinctive voice and style that is difficult to copy, but they did him proud. I liked it; good music, especially the jam session at the end. Even though this is not my favorite band, and, even though the judges criticized what they did, these guys should easily make top six.
    2. Light of Doom. What is there in the Lieber and Stoller songbook that fits Light of Doom? Nothing. Didn’t like this performance. The band was full of energy, as usual, but the lead singer failed us; he was vocally weak, flat, and monotone throughout. But they earned a #2 ranking; these kids are terrific musicians; excellent on guitar and drums. If they have a weakness, it’s the lead singer. He committed to Flight of Icarus and All Along the Watch Tower, but both were vocally challenged. We don’t notice his vocals so much because the band is so good, but Jailhouse Rock is simple music that needs strong vocals to make it work. This composition challenged Eric’s vocals, and the challenge was not met. Eric has got to get better if his band to avoid the same fate that eliminated Rocket and The Muggs.
    3. The Clark Brothers. The only thing missing from this old time gospel revival was cymbals, speaking in tongues, and a heavenly choir. I agree with the judges. The lead singer did his part; he sang it well, with spirit, commitment, and conviction (I believed him), but got little support from his band. If they’re not going to use drums, they should at least upgrade to guitars with muscle, amplifiers and synthesizers. Having said that, this band, like Six Wire, will waltz into the final six.
    4. Dot Dot Dot. These guys suffered the same fate as Light of Doom. There’s nothing in the Lieber and Stoller songbook that fit them. Love Potion #9 for a punk rock band? It’s the best they could do given the choices, and I feel bad for them, because the performance was so weird; a lot like the one-eyed man who became King of the blind. Didn’t like anything about this performance; got nothing from it.
    5. Cliff Wagner and the Old #7. Another lifeless and boring performance. This time Poison Ivy was the bedtime lullaby. These guys are out of their element in all genres except Bluegrass (something they do very, very well).
    6. Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. Wonder if Dicko’s ever listened to Blood, Sweat, and Tears and Ides of March? These were Big Bands that sang soul/R&B. And the Allman Brothers is a fantastic Blues band. Need I mention solo performers like Billy Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, and Johnny Lang? I agree that most white R&B bands don’t measure up, but clearly some do. There aren’t many White R&B/soul/hip-hop performers either, but Robin Thicke and Justin Timberlake are exceptions to the rule. Both are accepted and well-respected in the Black community. Having said that, Dicko is my favorite judge (I’ve enjoyed his critiques on Australian Idol), and, I agree with his assessment of this band. They can’t sing or play R&B, or anything contemporary or meaningful. They seem like nice people; warm hearted and fun guys, but as a band, they’re not very good.
    7. Tres Bien. Musically, this band is not much better than Denver, but at least they're interesting, funny and fun to watch.

Franklin Bridge. I wasn’t surprised by this result……at all. As noted in my opening post, these guys were doomed from the start. In my opinion, Franklin Bridge is the best band in this competition; easily the best combination of musicians (drums, guitars, and lead vocalist), but is too hard and too urban for this competition. They refused to compromise their music vision, so refused to play the game. I like that about them, but it did cost them votes. I’m very disappointed in my fellow American voters, but I have to be fair about this. Franklin Bridge knew, or should have known, the score coming in. The rules are simple: endear yourselves to the voting public and make them like what you do, so that they will vote to keep you in the competition. Such talent deserved a better fate, but as good as they are, they were either unable, or unwilling, to do that. This show, already boring at times, will become even more boring and less musically diverse, without Franklin Bridge.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 11-17-2007 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;2674123;
    The Top Seven: November 16, 2007

3. The Clark Brothers. If they’re not going to use drums, they should at least upgrade to guitars with muscle, amplifiers and synthesizers.
    Oh hell no! That would ruin what this band is all about. I'm sure I'm the only one, but I much prefer the Clarks as they are, not as they would be if they tried to modernize with electic guitars, drums, keyboards or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;2674123;
    Need I mention solo performers like Billy Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, and Johnny Lang?.
    Maybe-- please tell us who Billy Ray Vaughn is. Any relationship to Stevie?
    Sorry, I couldn't resist the
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by guide54;2673792;
    My personal favourites are the Clark Brothers. They are wicked players! I think Tres Bien should go next.
    If playing as fast as possible merits winning the grand prize, then surely it is this band. Hurry, hurry, steel guiter boy is not playing fast enough. Go faster!

FORT Regular

Lieber and Stoller songs are fifty years old and not one of those bands, even Denver, etc., could give life to a dead art form.

Poor Lite of Doom, their arrangement was off, the song choice was lame, and the performance was what a bunch of kids would do. Wait, they ARE kids, and they are going home next week. Too bad, because the Rolling Stones catalog [next week's theme] could have saved them.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2674134;
    Oh hell no! That would ruin what this band is all about. I'm sure I'm the only one, but I much prefer the Clarks as they are, not as they would be if they tried to modernize with electic guitars, drums, keyboards or anything else.
    I totally agree with you on this queenb....keep The Clark Brothers the way they are!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

I had to fast forward through the Clark Brothers. They annoy me. I don't get all the Clark Brother love at all. I also had to FF through DMHO. I like the band, but Denver is sounding more and more like some bad Vegas lounge singer. Too bad as I really liked them at first.

I LOVE Cliff Wagner and Old No. 7 and Dot, Dot, Dot. I guess because I liked the 80's bands, that Dot, Dot Dot is kind of nostalgic for me. And I like Tres Bien as well. I love LOD. Yeah, the singer isn't that great, but those kids can play.

DMHO can go home next week for me.
    I also kind of like Sixwire and I hate that kind of music that they usually play. But they have great harmonies.

I'm glad Franklin Bridge went home. They were my least favorite.

I'm almost afraid to hear what they do to the Stones next week. Although, I would dearly LOVE to hear Cliff Wagner do Dead Flowers.
    I predict Sixwire will go with Waiting on a Friend, because its slow and easy which is too bad, as they need to crank it up a bit.
    LOD should do Start me Up. Would be a great one for them.
    And I think Adam and Dot Dot Dot would be great on Emotional Rescue.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I didn't get to watch live last night & I haven't read through the comments, so I'll see how I compare to everyone else. First let me say that Franklin Bridge should have stuck around, but the cover songs, especially Dylan & Elton, were just brutal & I think these guys just wore to thin to quick.

LOD were actually pretty listenable last night, but the singer has got to learn to leave the monotone behind & sing a song for once.

I still say the Clark Brothers are the class of this show & Ashley tore it up last night. I love his vocals, but by singing so much it is preventing him from showing what he can do on the fiddle.

Dot Cubed, were the best they have been, but they are still just to out there for me.

Cliff & his Mule have redirected another song so far off track that it may be their last opportunity to do so. I say they are in TROUBLE, which would have been a good L&S song for them to sing.

Denver, also in trouble as far as I can tell. For the first time I just didn't much care for it.

Sixwire, is obviously a very tight band with great vocals. I think they will be around for a while to come.

Tres Bien would have been at the top of my list to go home this week, but the cute boy factor must be attracting some votes. They did well enough to stick around again though I think.

Based just on last nights performances I have to say Cliff & The Mule will go home, if not then Denver packs it up & heads home.

liedenfrost, I have always enjoyed reading your anaylsis, including your weekly take on the Idols performances. But, I must say it seems to me that week after week you seem to miss the point of the Clark Brothers. Electrify their instruments? Add Synthesisers? Good lord man, that would be totally foreign to who these guys are. Maybe we should ask Mick & The Stones to go into Opera.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast