+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 11/9 Show Discussions

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: 11/9 Show Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2659046;
    I haven't watched the show yet but I'm assuming that Rocket and The Muggs did go home tonight? Were they nice about it???
    They did go home tonight. The rockets were fine. The lead singer for The Muggs gave the same thumbs down to Dicko that he gave last week. Fortunately, neither were given an opportunity to embarrass themselves.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

November 09, 2007: The Top Eight
    1. Six Wire. My pick to win. Not the best musicians. That honor goes to The Muggs (eliminated), Franklin Bridge, and Light of Doom, in that order. The lead singer is good, but unlike the lead singers for Dot, Dot, Dot, Franklin Bridge, or Light of Doom, he does not project or connect to his lyrics. Yes, Six Wire is talented; they sing well and they play well, but their best asset, and the reason they have an excellent chance to win, is subdued charisma (the IT factor), which always combines with talent to generate tons of votes. The judges loved Sheís Always a Woman, but I thought the vocal performance and the arrangement was average; lifeless and boring. I enjoy their minimalist approach to music; would listen to their stuff on radio, but I wouldnít buy their music or fork over hard earned dollars to watch them in concert (not enough muscle, fun, or energy for me). Ever heard of a chick flick? Six Wire (like Rascal Flatts) is a chick band. Thatís a huge advantage in an interactive reality show competition because studies have shown that most reality show viewers are female, and, that females vote longer. Thatís why I think Six Wire is unbeatable; judges love them, women love them, and they are Middle America.
    2. Franklin Bridge. Very innovative arrangement of Billy Joelís Big Shot. Except for the rock scream in the chorus, the lead singer remained faithful to the original. The arrangement however, was anything but; those guitar riffs are nowhere to be found in the original. Franklin Bridge might be too innovative; too quick to ad lib; too eager to fingerprint other compositions, but I love what they do and look forward to each performance. The lead singer (lead guitar) is energetic, charismatic, and raw; very reminiscent of a young Jimi Hendrix. Iíd pay to watch this band every chance I got.
    3. Light of Doom. It took three weeks but Iím absolutely convinced that these guys are talented musicians; dedicated disciples of classic heavy metal rock. Not sure I believe them, and, the lead singer needs voice lessons, but I love their energy and their heavy metal interpretation of classic pop songs. From Iron Maiden to Bob Dylan to Elton John and Billy Joel, these little tykes proved they can throw it down. The only performances Iíve watch more than once are Franklin Bridgeís Tangled Up in Blue and Light of Doomís Saturday Night's Alright. Didnít like the Dylan cover but these kids rocked the hell out of a Billy Joel classic tonight.
    4. Dot Dot Dot. The lead singer toned down the stage antics tonight, and the result was a classy and stylized alternative rock version of Billy Joel's Pressure. Ethereal guitar riffs; excellent synthesizers; sincere, passionate, and believable vocals; I loved this performance. They canít win, but this band gets better each week.
    5. The Clark Brothers. I like this band, but not tonight. I have no idea why the judges were so moved by Sheís Got A Way About Her. They sang it well but I found it boring. I wonder if the judgesí attention was misdirected by the lead singerís eyes (larger than most), because I didnít think he found the heart of these lyrics at all. Iíve watched enough singing competitions to know, however, that Middle America loves this stuff, so these guys will be around for a long time.
    6. Cliff Wagner and the Old #7. I donít think Iíve ever heard a more boring interpretation of Billy Joelís You May be Right. Didnít like it. Almost fell asleep.
    7. Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. Why so much smiling? Did these guys read the lyrics to Tell Her About It? The lead singer was clearly disconnected. Unconvincing; smoke and mirrors. Didnít believe it.
    8. Tres Bien. Vocals were mostly accurate, but the music was awful from start to finish. Guitar solo was timid and creepy. Why not use an acoustic guitar or synthesizers to give it some muscle? A fun band at times, but not tonight.

I thought this week was surprisingly good for the most part--especially since I don't care much for Billy Joel! The one song of his I've ever really liked is 'the stranger', and I did enjoy LOD's version--rock on, little dudes! ;lol
    My favorite performance was as usual the Clark Brothers, who(m?) I adore.
    dot Dot Dot is actually doing a lot better by the week. I was disappointed by Franklin Bridge, and the Old #7 could have been better too. I know the Mile Highs and Sixwire are good musicians, but as usual I have to fight the urge to fast forward past them all.
    For next week, I hope/predict Tres Bien to be Tres Bye-Bye, and hope the Mile High Orchestra goes too but think it will be Old #7.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

[QUOTE=liedenfrost;2659409Ever heard of a chick flick? Sixwire (like Rascal Flatts) is a chick band. [/QUOTE]

As I chick, I just want to jump in and say I can't stand Rascal Flatts, and I'm not overly fond of Sixwire either. The lead singer has a decent voice and he's nice to too look at, but they're usually boring as heck.

I actually enjoyed most of the show. I particularly liked Dot Dot Dot this week, and Light of Doom as well. I liked Tres Bien's lead singer's version of what I perceive to be a difficult Billy Joel song to sing (maybe it isn't, I'm no singer), but the music wasn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;2659790;
    As I chick, I just want to jump in and say I can't stand Rascal Flatts, and I'm not overly fond of Sixwire either. The lead singer has a decent voice and he's nice to too look at, but they're usually boring as heck.

I actually enjoyed most of the show. I particularly liked Dot Dot Dot this week, and Light of Doom as well. I liked Tres Bien's lead singer's version of what I perceive to be a difficult Billy Joel song to sing (maybe it isn't, I'm no singer), but the music wasn't that great.
    I'm a devoted Rascal Flatts fan, maybe that's why I like Sixwire so much. I Tivo this show every week just to see Sixwire perform. None of the rest of them really impress me.

I thought last nights show was beyond dreadful. What I liked about this show and what I found somewhat refreshing was original songs. Since they didn't have that last night and instead chose to butcher old songs.. meh and more helpings of meh.

I completely could see why these bands have never been signed (other than Sixwire who weren't interesting enough to keep theirs) because they are all completely forgettable and missing that special IT factor. Oddly enough the first time they all performed I was blown away but with each new show I'm beginning to see more and more and more of the flaws.

Which is why I think LOD should win it all. They are young enough to be molded and they do have that special something... even if it does only appeal to teenies but they buy a lot of CDs.. right?

LOL.. anyways those are just my humble opinions and I'm sure none of ya will agree with me but there you have it. And yes, I will still keep watching because I'm the mother of a young child.. I have nothing else to do on Friday nights heh.

FORT Newbie

I loved the Clark Brothers even without any drummer they were a notch above the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2659813;
    Which is why I think LOD should win it all. They are young enough to be molded and they do have that special something... even if it does only appeal to teenies but they buy a lot of CDs.. right?
    I wouldn't be at all sorry if LOD managed to prevail. Actually, the only reason I would prefer they didn't is due to the mother in me - I think they need to finish school, and maybe attend some of those baseball games they've been sacrificing in order to practice their music. I think it's great their parents are so supportive, but they need balance in their (very young) lives. They're easily talented enough to deserve to win, though, and I think that if they continue to practice, and if the singer works on developing his voice, that they have a great future ahead of them.

I have no particular love for Sixwire either, and not just because I'm not a country music fan (though I do think they sound very much like the Eagles, who I do like). They're talented, and hugely marketable - good enough reasons for them to be signed and sell lots and lots of records. I don't think they need to win the competition to achieve that goal. Same goes for Franklin Bridge, though I think FB would benefit a lot from spending some time in the studio and paring down their sound.

My sentimental choice to win is The Clark Brothers, because I think they potentially have the widest appeal, along with undeniable talent and total committment to what they do. Again, I'm not a country fan but I can easily see myself buying one of their CDs.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

It's interesting to read the boards a few days after the show (though I wish I could participate earlier!) because the ideas I have that I thought were obvious turn out to be not as prevelent and the ones that I thought were just me turn out to have a lot of people who agree with me. I thought The Clark Brothers were amazing and that this week was their best yet. Lots of people seem to disagree. I really don't enjoy Franklin Bridge all that much but I accepted the fact that they are good. Then I went on the internet and lots of people were saying they weren't so good this week. It's great to hear everyone's viewpoints.

Here's how I saw it:
    . Clark Brothers - that's 3 weeks in a row that they've been #1 for me. I'm hardly ever that consistent. I thought this was their best yet.
    2. Dot Dot Dot (#10 last week to #2 in one week). Adam reminded me of Marty Casey going from too much action to putting all the power into his vocals. (I think it's pretty obvious what I think of Marty Casey so any comparison to him is high praise though I'm not saying Adam is anywhere near as good as Marty). I love their style since I'm into 80's music.
    3. Sixwire - I thought it was actually a much more misogynistic song when they sang it than when Billy Joel sang it. I could hear the dislike for the woman in his vocals but I liked the fact that he did put the emotion into it. Someone earlier disagreed and didn't think he was putting the emotion in but I had never noticed the bitterness of the lyrics until I heard Sixwire's version.
    4. The Old #7 - it sounded more like classic country than bluegrass (not that I know much about bluegrass). I liked it more than the judges because classic country was my Mom's favourite genre and it gave me good feelings. I also liked that they changed it up and sang a slower song.
    5. Light of Doom - Good song choice and it was their best yet.
    6. Franklin Bridge - I just don't enjoy their style.
    7. Denver and the Mile High O. They're all so good it's hard to put anyone so low. This was a bit ordinary for me but I really enjoyed it. Denver isn't really very good at connecting with the audience.
    8. Tres Bien - It just didn't work for me. I really liked them last week, didn't like them the week before.

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;2659409;
    November 09, 2007: The Top Eight

2. Franklin Bridge. Very innovative arrangement of Billy Joel’s Big Shot. Except for the rock scream in the chorus, the lead singer remained faithful to the original.
    [mod edit] He's AWFUL!!! While being a great guitar player, his vocals are horrendous. He seemed to have forgotten the words to the majority of the song. [mod edit] Fact is, he sings rock songs in an R&B style and it doesn't match the rest of the band. Musically, I think these guys are the most talented, but that lead singer stinks. Seriously.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 11-12-2007 at 05:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast