+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 11/9 Show Discussions

Re: 11/9 Show Discussions

Dot Dot Dot gets "Pressure". Which is as good a Billy Joel as they can possibly get for their style, and so its actually as close to not sucking as they've come on this show. It was overwrought, but then again so was the original.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

That was like the band "Dead or Alive" revisited! Me liked

dot dot dot
    damn damn damn
    I so want them to
    flop flop flop
    that singer is just to
    weird weird weird

Aw. Beyonce's life is SO tough. Only not.

that singer is just to
    weird weird weird
    It's not that he's weird. A lot of real legitimate New Wave bands had frontmen that wore tons more makeup than him. It's just that he comes off as a real poser. He's emulating something I get the feeling he doesn't quite understand. This is like a slapped together mock up of a New Wave band, not the real thing.

Next up: Sixwire gets a potential plum - "She's Always A Woman".

Later: And I have my hesitation about their performance (first time with them). The part of the song where "Then she'll carelessly cut you and laugh while you're bleedin'" is supposed to be bitter sounding. Dicko is right. Sixwire missed the point of the song. It was smooth, but misinterpreted.
    Last edited by Krom; 11-09-2007 at 08:35 PM.

This sounds more folk than "new country", which is a vast improvement over their usual sound, as far as I'm concerned.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I think Sixwire could have a hit with that arrangement that they just did. It was really good, the harmonies were spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2658910;
    This sounds more folk than "new country", which is a vast improvement over their usual sound, as far as I'm concerned.
    And yet a real actual country version (not necessarily "New Country") might have acknowledged the angry/bitterly dissapointed vibe of the later part of the song. This didn't. Thus, it failed, IMO. What good is a great harmony if it makes the song sound pointless?

Next Up - Kinks Two: Electric Bugaloo aka "Tres Bien". Singing "Movin' Out".

Uggh. This is painful. This arrangement/style just KILLS the song. And I mean "kill" in the bad sense, not the good one.

Dicko is indeed a dick about this, but in this case he's right. I'd give it a raspberry too.

Next Up: The Clark Brothers. I'd like to see them do "Travelin' Prayer" given their dad being a traveling preacher. But instead they get "She's Got A Way".
    Last edited by Krom; 11-09-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2658915;
    And yet a real actual country version (not necessarily "New Country") might have acknowledged the angry vibe of the later part of the song. This didn't. Thus, it failed, IMO. What good is a great harmony if it makes the song sound pointless?
    Yeah, probably. I just hate "new country" more than any other musical genre, so anything that isn't it is an improvement.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Yep, dicko is living up to his name.

Listening to the difference between Tres Bien and the Clark Brothers reminds me of an album review I read waaaaay back in the eary seventies of John Lennon's Sometime in New York City which basically stated that good musicianship was a dime a dozen, but good music was a lot scarcer. Tres Bien were rather sloppy, but their rendition was quite spirited. The Clark Brothers played extremely well, but again this week, boring.

Off topic somewhat, one of the best shows I ever saw was the incredibly, extremely, drastically sloppy and all over the place Replacements. One of the dullest shows I ever saw was the extremely tight and on top of things REM.
    Last edited by Rattus; 11-09-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Now I'm sure they should have done "Travelin' Prayer". I thought "She's Got A Way" started out really sweet, but to me it went off-course later in the song.

Final pick next. I pray the little kiddies don't get to play.

LATER:

Final Band = those damn kiddies. Not that Rocket or The Muggs are any better choice. ALL the choices sucked.

Light Of Kiddies slaughters "The Stranger". At least I THINK that's what it was.
    Last edited by Krom; 11-09-2007 at 08:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast