+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I would be livid if this show gets canceled and will stop watching new shows all together. I'm so tired of that happening! Find a show I like and then BAM it's gone.

I forgot to tape the first show so I read up about it here and was expecting certain bands to be awesome (Dot Dot Dot comes to mind) and was rather disappointed at my first look at them. Looked too much like Pukeas (Lukas from Supernova) for my tastes and that alone made me instantly dislike them before they even made their first sound.

I also was expecting Dicko to be a total.. well you know.. but I didn't take him that way at all. I think he actually tried for the most part to give constructive criticism but due to time constraints it came off as rather sharp and harsh. I did agree with most of the comments he made.

Can I say that I loved.. absolutely loved.. the guitar work by the lead of Franklyn Bridge. Man, I love a good guitar solo. Can we have him and the lead from Mug (Mugg?) do some sort of guitar play off?

Franklyn Bridge - what is their sound? I thought they said Blues but the spouse insisted it was Funk but now I'm reading here that you guys are saying Rock. I think if they went off into the funk direction they could go far. I loved their sound and the voice of the singer (can't say that for a large majority of tonight's bands). I have to agree that I didn't care for their clothing but that's a minor thing.
    There's a school of music that's basically "Blues Rock". It typically has elements of funk and gospel in it too. That's probably the best description of these guys. Typically these guys play at Churches in the infancy of their careers and grow from there.

I gave the example before of Robert Randolph and The Family Band. These guys seem to fall into the same genre as Randolph.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

October 26, 2007

1. Six Wire. Contemporary Country Rock. I like this band. The competition is theirs to lose. They make good music and the lead singer is blessed with a rich textured voice. If he ever learns to connect to his lyrics and stops sexing the camera and smiling inappropriately, Six Wire will be around a long time. They are good in their own right but will have millions of country music fans behind them. Country music sells more records than any other music genre…and it’s not even close. It also doesn’t hurt that Six Wire is likeable, and more importantly, humble. I love Bob Dylan and they did Mr. Tambourine Man justice. Didn’t care much for the original; the lyrics are more cogent and meaningful, but the sound and style of this song channels Big and Rich.
    2. Franklin Bridge. R&B/Hip-hop/Hard Rock. Very clever fusion of traditional hard rock chords with contemporary R&B and hip-hop sound. Incredible was a terrific, funked-out, and infectious composition. Their music is intricate and complex; the lead singer can actually sing, was born to play guitar, and the camera loves him. They have a chance to win, but, I've watched too many of these shows to underestimate the musical tastes of Middle America, and my impression is that this band is too hard for Middle America. I love this band, but wouldn’t sign them. They are a difficult sell; a classic R&B style supported by traditional rock chords. What is their target audience? How and where do you market them? The first half of Tangled Up in Blue was exquisite. The second half was a pompous, musical mess. The original, Incredible, was contemporary R&B at its best.
    3. The Likes of You. Post Grunge. Inconsistent but interesting band; primarily because of a lead singer blessed with good, ranging vocals; the sensitivity to connect with his music; and a willingness to share that sensitivity with his audience. If he had a different band, a better band, The Likes of You would fare a lot better in this competition. Very interesting, unique, and entertaining version of Blowing in the Wind.
    4. The Muggs. Traditional Hard/Blues Rock. Don’t care much for either song; singing was awful, but in my opinion, this band features the best guitarist in the competition. Unfortunately he’s also the lead singer and shouldn’t be, because he can’t. Without a competent lead vocalist, this band will have a tough time advancing past the half-way mark. But the guitarist is very, very good, and will face some difficult decisions once the competition ends, because he will be courted by some well-known bands in need of a guitar player.
    5. The Clark Brothers. Traditional Country. Good musicians. Decent lead singer; dispassionate, but nice vocals. Nothing that sets them apart though. Talent wise, Six Wire is light years ahead of them and will own the country music vote.
    6. The Hatch. Traditional Rock. Good band. Decent lead vocalist. They make good music too, but like the Clark Brothers, there’s nothing special or unique that sets them apart from the rest, as demonstrated in their cover of It's All Over Now,Baby Blue.
    7. Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. Don’t like this stuff but I think many Middle Americans will. They will receive enough support to stay around for awhile.
    8. Tres Bien. These guys are good at what they do, but what they do is dated. The lead singer can sing and the band can play, but as a group, they lack musical complexity, and, the competition is not a sixties revival show, so despite the talent, they won’t last very long. But they sure are fun to watch.
    9. Rocket. Punk Rock. In my middle-aged world, women and punk rock don’t mix. It robs them of the very things that make them beautiful and special. Except for the Patti Smith Group (terrific stuff all around), it just doesn’t work for me. The soaring guitar riffs were loud; much too loud for the lead singer, who is not a very good singer.
    10. Cliff and the Old #7. Traditional Bluegrass. Not bad, but nothing distinctive that sets them apart. Very forgetable.
    11. Dot Dot Dot. Emo Punk. This music is not bad; they can play; the lead singer can sing, but unfortunately, this band appears to value style and performance over music, and that’s never a good thing. A poor man’s Green Day; another band that values style and performance, but when in studio, produces excellent music compositions.
    12. Light of Doom. Too young. Where was this young drummer racing to? The lead singer needs singing lessons and the band meeds more practice, but they have potential. I don't care about shirts and long hair. Doesn't bother me. Even though I think they are the least talented, young female voters could keep them safe for a few weeks.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 10-27-2007 at 03:58 AM.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2631950;
    I think this is a three way horserace between Sixwire, Franklin Bridge, and the Clark Brothers.

No. Just no.
    Just watched it .

I agree & the bluegrass group as a close 4th for me husband feels the same

liedenfrost while I agree with most of what you said, I have to disagree with this:

5. The Clark Brothers. Traditional Country. Good musicians. Decent lead singer; dispassionate, but nice vocals. Nothing that sets them apart though. Talent wise, Six Wire is light years ahead of them and will own the country music vote.

First off Sixwire is an excellent band & they work well & sound great together, but they have been around the Nashville & Country scene for quite a while now & even put out a couple of records that really didn't catch on.

The Clark Bros. are the better musicians, more versatile & they play multiple instruments. If they were to win I have no doubt that they would add some of the other siblings & really have a great sound.

But, the one crucial thing you are missing & I can't stress this enough, the lead singer Ashley, was the fiddle player & harmonizing vocalist for Carrie Underwood from the time she first hit the stage until this opportunity came up for he & his brothers. Carries fans are behind him full out, so I think the Country vote goes to them.

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;2632362;
    October 26, 2007

I totally disagree with you. I don't even like the new style of country music, find it bland and boring. Sixwire does nothing at all for me.
    Besides, the Clark brothers are a little bit more than traditional country as they are kind of bluegrass/bluesey as well. And I don't see how anyone could call them dispassionate. The original song was a winner too, for me. I'd buy it.
    As for the Carrie Underwood connection, i know nothing about her beyond that she won Idol at some point, but I don't watch that either.
    So far, I am hoping the Clark Brotherss win!

As far as losers go, I hope I don't have to see the Hatch or the Rockets too many more times.
    The Hatch are run of the mill, and the Rockets seem like what you would see in a movie as a punk rock band--cute girls, rotten singer, bleah.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted by liedenfrost
    October 26, 2007

I hate bluegrass, every time my husband who is a huge fan of it puts it on I cover my ears in agony. I hate the twanging and the screechy and I just hate it (Why I didn't like the Old No. 7 group and he loved them). BUT... I liked the sound of the Clark brothers. They had enough of a blues sound in it to make it interesting for me and I don't think one should underestimate the fact that the viewers are responsible for who stays and goes. They often vote for looks over substance. I see them going far (a long with the kids unfortunately) because of a cute or hot factor.

So I have to disagree in the assessment and placement so far in the list and that the lead singer is only decent..... I think that they will go far and not just because of Underwood. I do think that Six Wire is a better band but these guys are in the top three of the ones I saw last night (missed the auditions).

ETA: Anybody ever hear of The Clark Family Experience? They had one hit single and included a bunch of brothers all with names that start with A. I think the Clark Brothers are off of that. And... Six Wire had a deal with a record company once... I think.. Warner Brothers? So some of these bands have had their shot and are getting a second one. Not sure how I feel about that because I rather like the idea of somebody who never had a break getting one over somebody who had one but lost it.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 10-27-2007 at 09:06 AM.

If I had my druthers, Tres Bien and Rocket would go this week. TB can't play and Rocket can't sing.

I wanted to like this show, but I had the mute button on a good part of the time. And I was just too tired from a verrry long week to watch past the Clark Brothers (who I love).

To those who think Sixwire will get the country vote over the Clark Brothers - I just have one question - which one of them was Sixwire?

FORT Fan

My rankings...

1. The Clark Brothers
    2. Franklin Bridge
    3. Sixwire
    4. Tres Bien
    5. Cliff and the Old #7
    6. Dot Dot Dot
    7. The Likes of You
    8. The Muggs
    9. Denver and the Mile High Orchestra