+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ~*Spoilers*~

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

~*Spoilers*~

Link Here

Detroit rockers the Muggs might be on new Fox show
    October 11, 2007

The rumors have been confirmed! Sort of! Detroit rock trio the Muggs Thursday night sent out an email saying the band was one of 12 acts picked for the new Fox TV show, “The Next Great American Band.” Modeled after “American Idol,” the show will pit groups from all over the country against each other in televised musical competitions.

The Detroit rock scene has been buzzing in recent weeks with word that the Muggs were chosen, but Fox was unwilling to confirm the participation -- and has still yet to announce the official lineup. But there are Muggs references all over the show’s message board at the Fox web site.

The Muggs specialize in ‘70s-style, blues-based hard rock, and have been a fixture in Detroit bars and nightclubs for several years. Guitarist-lead singer Danny Methric is generally recognized as one of metro Detroit’s top players.

The show debuts Oct. 19. Let the games begin!
    About the Muggs:

Link Here

This article originally appeared in the Detroit Free Press on November 26, 2003

The lowdown: Back in March 2000, when guitarist Danny Methric, bassist Tony DeNardo and drummer Matt Rost began their blues-rock band the Muggs, the trio's biggest worry was switching mind-sets from their original plan to form a four-piece. "We had to totally rethink the writing process," Methric says.

But Sept. 4, 2001, two days after their first gig, DeNardo suffered a near-fatal stroke.

The setback: The members of the Muggs were riding high. They had just played their first show, the 2001 Mussel Beach Party, at their favorite local hangout, the Cadieux Cafe. By the next week, however, their world had turned upside down. After a hemorrhagic stroke --thought to be the result of an undetected birth defect -- DeNardo spent a month and a half in the hospital.

The phrase "lucky to be alive" became a constant refrain.

"I lost my speech," DeNardo says, "and my right side was completely paralyzed. But all I thought was, 'How am I going to play bass again?' "

Rejecting a defeatist attitude, he took the advice of Outrageous Cherry's Matthew Smith and took up the keyboard. By hooking a Fender Rhodes piano up to a bass amp, DeNardo is able to get a sound very close to his old electric bass. "Plus," he says with his still paralyzed right arm in a brace, "the left is the bass side, so I lucked out that way."

Almost two years after the tragedy, the Muggs returned to the Cadieux Cafe, for a triumphant welcome-back gig -- at the 2003 Mussel Beach Party in August.

The sound: Friends and bandmates since their freshman year at Notre Dame High School, Methric and DeNardo, both 30, finally decided to tackle the blues after years together in straight rock bands. DeNardo says, "We figured we'd do what comes naturally and write blues songs that rock."

The Muggs' current sound has a psychedelic bluesy feel, not unlike another power trio, the James Gang. As for the keyboard subbing for traditional bass guitar, Methric says, "People are really growing to like the bass on the piano. Some people like it better."

Reaching the limit: How many bands can one man handle? Methric, who also plays guitar for hard-rock band the Paybacks and his side-project, Over Under Sideways Down, laughs and says, "I think three might be the limit."
    Their website

You can also see and hear some of their songs on their website...
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Re: ~*Spoilers*~

Link Here

Alumni to Appear on 'Next Great American Band'

Denver and the Mile High Orchestra (DMHO), a local band comprised of numerous Belmont graduates, traveled to Los Angeles this week for the debut airing of new series “Next Great American Band.” A sister show from the producers of "American Idol," "Next Great American Band" premieres this Friday night at 7 p.m. Central on Fox.

The first episode, a two-hour program showing auditions and action behind the scenes, is expected to feature DMHO. Singer/songwriter John Rzeznik (The Goo Goo Dolls), percussionist and performer Sheila E. and Australian TV personality Ian Dickson will serve as judges for "Next Great American Band" while Dominic Bowden ("New Zealand Idol") hosts the series. The actual viewer-voted competition will begin Oct. 26 after the judges announce the 10 semi-finalists.

Belmont alumni in DMHO include Denver Bierman (leader/singer/trumpet); Jared Ribble (drums); Chris Gregg (alto and soprano sax); Mike Kemp (tenor and bari sax); Jeff Pardo (keys); Justin Carpenter (trombone); Paul Shearer (guitar) and Tony Marvelli (bass). Gregg is the son of Belmont School of Music's Graduate Studies Director Rob Gregg and Admissions Director Sharon Gregg.

Formed at Belmont in 1999, DMHO consists of three trumpet players, three saxophone players, two trombone players and a rhythm section. In the eight years since its inception, the group has traveled around the globe, performing at churches, conferences, festivals—even at the Olympics—taking their electrifying horn-driven sound to the masses.

DMHO were at my church on Friday. I didn't make it because of another concert, but the worship leader had mentioned that they would be on this show. I can't wait to see them.

Both The Muggs and the DMHO are great. I saw a couple of clips of their performances.

bbnbama, thanks for the spoilers!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Very cool. Thanks for the info, bama!

Faces Without Names

September 14, 2007 - Friday
    BAND IDOL and updates!
    Category: Life

Hey guys,

so some of you might know that we've recently been back in Vegas doing a new show called "The Next Great American Band" aka band idol! it will air in october, we had a blast and met tonz of kewl bands and interesting people......

bout FacesWithoutNames

They are songwriters, singers, musicians, performers, best friends, and sisters. Together they are captivating entertainers, they are FACES without Names.

At first glance you will see two beautiful dynamic personalities, dominating the stage and drawing you into their music. As you look deeper you realize that Alexa (17) and Natalee (15) are singing songs of depth and substance, and that they are not your average pop rock band. “We believe music can change the world, and even if just one of our songs can positively influence someone then we are living our purpose.

Our fans tell us that we are the faces of those without names and that our music speaks to those without a voice,” says Alexa.

Alexa and Natalee are natural born entertainers and musicians. They hit the stage harmonizing early in life and were playing and songwriting by the time they were eight years old. At the age of ten they had five platinum international hit songs, one of which charted number one in Brazil.

Alexa is the main songwriter, but says “without Natalee’s input the songs wouldn’t be the same.” They are passionate about music and share lead vocals while captivating audiences with their duo acoustic set, or live band. Writing and recording aside, it’s when they hit the stage that you see their music really take on a life of its own. Natalee describes, “I love performing live, it takes me completely out of reality, it’s like I am in a different world, making that connection to the audience and it’s such an adrenaline rush.”

Alexa agrees and adds, “Living in that moment when the songs I wrote come alive, seeing in the faces of the people that they are actually connecting to the song. I’m a writer, but that’s a feeling words can’t describe!”

FACES without Names recently worked with several top producers who have helped nurture and develop their sound. Recording sessions with Marjorie Maye (Celine Dion, Destiny’s Child), Andy Marvel (Jessica Simpson), Jimmy Greco (Jennifer Lopez, Santana), Russ DeSalvo (Celine Dion), Oliver Lieber (the Coors, BBMack), Jason Deere (Ryan Shupe and the Rubber Band, Trace Atkins), Anders Bagge (Kelly Clarkson, Britney Spears) and Johan Aberg (Christina Aguilera) proved a unique sound was beginning to emerge.

In 2006 they were featured in the Camplified Tour that covered the Northeast USA., honing their live show and getting the experience and exposure to thousands of teens who are looking forward to their debut CD. They’ve traveled a long road to get to where they are and now Faces Without Names is ready for you to enjoy the music they’ve worked hard to create.
    Website

Oops...looks like the spoilers were wrong about "Faces without Names"...one of the girls though look like the one that was crying on the bus saying she was laughed at by Johnny Reznick....

DMHO's CDs are still available on iTunes. I guess the contract doesn't prohibit marketing previously recorded music.

My DVR says that tonight each band performs 2 songs. Should be good. I guess I'm one of the few looking forward to it since there is such a sparcity of posters in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2630754;
    My DVR says that tonight each band performs 2 songs. Should be good. I guess I'm one of the few looking forward to it since there is such a sparcity of posters in this thread.
    You know I'm watching too razor!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast