+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sheila E. - Judge

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Sheila E. - Judge

Sheila E. - Judge

Since picking up drumsticks at the age of 3, Sheila E. has been a compelling force in the music industry.

Inspired by her father, legendary Latin jazz percussionist and orchestra leader Pete Escovedo, Sheila E. found herself as a top session and touring musician in the 1980s, performing with Herbie Hancock, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross and Lionel Richie. But it was her friend Prince who helped catapult her career into pop superstardom with the hits "The Glamorous Life" and "A Love Bizarre" as well as working with her on his numerous other projects.

Sheila E. has also served as musical director for Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé and Prince, and she became television's first female music director, for Magic Johnson's "The Magic Hour." Recently, she appeared with and played drums for Ringo Starr and his All-Starr Band. Her current project, C.O.E.D. (Chronicles of Every Diva), is touring worldwide and preparing for a new record release.

Along with her commitment to music, philanthropist Sheila E. maintains a heavy involvement with charitable organizations, including serving as chair and co-founder of the Elevate Hope Foundation, focusing on promoting music and arts to victims of child abuse.

Sheila E. lives in Los Angeles.

Official Site
    Last edited by Jewelsy; 10-21-2007 at 09:24 AM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Sheila E. - Judge

Link Here

5 QUESTIONS WITH ... Sheila E.
    By Robert Philpot
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

For the past 20-plus years, Sheila E. (aka Sheila Escovedo) has built up quite the musical résumé -- stints in bands with Prince and Ringo Starr, performing with Jennifer Lopez, solo success with her '80s hits The Glamorous Life and A Love Bizarre, and that's just hitting the highlights. She's also a minister, which you can find out more about on her Web site, Sheila E. - Official Website. And now she's a judge -- she, Goo Goo Dolls frontman John Rzeznik and Australian TV personality Ian "Dicko" Dickson sat in 118-degree heat in Las Vegas this summer during the auditions for The Next Great American Band, the American Idol spinoff launching at 7 p.m. Friday on KDFW/Channel 4. We popped Ms. E. five questions.

1 I'm so tempted to start by asking if you still live the glamorous life, but I'll bet you get that all the time.

I am living the glamorous life, and, uh, it's very difficult [laughs]. It's challenging, but it's fun. Without love, it's nothing. I need to change the lyrics.

2 You're a minister. How does your faith influence your work as a judge?

I try not to judge anybody. I'm critiquing their ability, their musicianship, their presentation, and what we expect from them and how they play together as a band. [Criticism] is difficult for anyone to hear ... and sometimes they get thrown some things where it's not really criticism, it's like, OK, that Simon [Cowell] role of 'Let's just be mean.' But that it is not going to be me, totally. I'm hoping to have constructive criticism. [But] there were a couple of times when it was tough for me to be honest, because I felt so bad.

3 What were the weirdest bands you saw?

There were a couple of bands that came in with tons of makeup on. Different characters. I don't know what they were thinking. It was the KISS, the Slipknot, but some of it was even more extreme than that.

4 What kind of friction are you seeing within the bands?

If I'd had it my way, a couple of times I would have liked where I could tell that that bass player or that guitar player or that drummer shouldn't have been in a band. That's part of the presentation. They have to perform as a band, and not come in here with one guy acting like he's the leader of the band where he's not blending in with the band. ... It all has to come together. Some of them don't care. They're just playing loud, and I'm going, 'Are you listening? Could you have turned the bass down? Couldn't you tell you were louder than the lead vocalist?'

5 What's worse -- hearing a bad singer or hearing a bad band?

[ Laughs] I don't know what's worse. I think they're both pretty bad. I don't know. You don't want to hear too many bad bands, but you don't want to hear too many bad singers. I would say that it would be harder to hear a bad singer. The great thing about it, for us, is that we're listening to music amplified. Even if they were playing acoustically, we were hearing it through amps. There's some kind of melodic something musically happening, and for the singer when they audition [for Idol], there is no music. So it's a little more difficult for them.
    I've been a big fan of Sheila E's since her Prince days!!!! I can't wait to see how she is as a judge!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

She can't be worse than Paula.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

RRRRRoooowwwr. She's certainly a lot sexier than Paula. Lovely gams.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2617393;
    She can't be worse than Paula.
    Nobody could.

I've always been a fan of Sheila's - at least she has some real talent and knows what she's talking about. She'll be a good judge.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

FORT Regular

First, this is not a reality TV show, it is a talent show.

Second, Sheila is a blast. I always can't wait to hear what she thinks. She has come a long way since the Prince days. Sheila knows a lot about pop music and it shows every epsiode. And she's a sexy broad.

+ Reply to Thread