+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About the show

About the show

From the official site:

The producers behind mega-hit phenomenon AMERICAN IDOL take the musical reality genre to a whole new performance level with a mission to find undiscovered groups on THE NEXT GREAT AMERICAN BAND. Singer/songwriter John Rzeznik (The Goo Goo Dolls), legendary percussionist and performer Sheila E. ("The Glamorous Life," "A Love Bizarre") and Australian TV personality Ian "Dicko" Dickson ("Australian Idol") will serve as judges while Dominic Bowden ("New Zealand Idol") hosts the series premiering Friday, Oct. 19 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. The show will air in its regular time period on Fridays (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT).

From the auditions, the show's judges - Rzeznik, Sheila E. and Dickson - will narrow down the hopefuls to 10 semifinalist bands who will perform weekly in front of a live studio audience. The judges will have their say after each performance, but viewers will vote for their favorite bands to determine who stays in the competition. Voting begins immediately after each show, and the results will be announced, by host Bowden, at the beginning of the following episode.

Each week, the bands will perform either original music or covers of varied styles. The range of genres will test their musical limits, and could also strike the wrong chord in their personal and professional relationships. The season finale brings the ultimate battle of the bands, with the last three groups competing to secure a contract with 19 Recordings and the title of "Next Great American Band."

As guitarist and lead singer of The Goo Goo Dolls, John Rzeznik is the voice behind the platinum-selling, chart-topping act responsible for such radio staples as "Name," "Iris," "Slide" and "Here Is Gone."

The fifth and youngest child of a Buffalo, NY, working-class family, Rzeznik inherited his lifelong love of music from his mother and father, both of whom were musicians. As a teen, Rzeznik found refuge in listening to Jagger-Richards classics, playing in bands and catching shows by the Ramones, the English Beat and the Clash. But it was in college that he met his Goo Goo Dolls bandmates and soon therafter scored a record deal with Celluloid Records, which released the band's first album in 1987. The band later became affiliated with Warner Bros. and began the transformation from thrash-playing punks to respectable rockers unafraid to wear their hearts on their sleeve. Rzeznik and the band went on to achieve commercial success during their two decades in the music industry, selling 10 million records worldwide and placing 14 songs in the Top 10. Rzeznik is currently on a worldwide tour for their latest album, "Let Love In," which was released in 2006. The four-time Grammy-nominated band also has two upcoming albums: "Greatest Hits Vol. I - The Singles," to be released in November 2007, followed by a rarities collection in early 2008.

Since picking up drumsticks at the age of 3, Sheila E. has been a compelling force in the music industry. As a top session and touring musician in the 1980s, Sheila E. performed with the likes of Herbie Hancock, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross and Lionel Richie. But it was her friend Prince who helped catapult her into pop superstardom with the hits "The Glamorous Life" and "A Love Bizarre," plus her work on numerous other Prince-related projects. Sheila E. has also served as musical director for Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé and Prince, and she became television's first female music director for Magic Johnson's "The Magic Hour." Recently, she appeared with and played drums for Ringo Starr and his All-Starr Band. Her current project, C.O.E.D. (Chronicles Of Every Diva), is touring worldwide and preparing for a new record release.

A 20-year record industry veteran, Ian Dickson has taken the Australian television audience by storm as the bawdy judge on "Australian Idol." Originally from England, Dickson began his career as a press and promotions manager at the independent label Creation Records, responsible for such groups as Jesus and Mary Chain, Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine and, most famously, Oasis. Dickson then moved on to Sony Music UK, where he served as the press officer for artists including LL Cool J, Midnight Oil and Michael Bolton, and later to the Epic Label as a marketing executive for Pearl Jam, Ozzy Osbourne and Celine Dion, among others.

After stints as Director of International for both Sony UK and AM Records, Dickson was appointed Vice President of International at BMG UK Group. While in this position, Dickson was given an opportunity to move to Australia and tackle the role of GM of Marketing for BMG Australia. It was this move that took Dickson's already colorful career on a brand-new path, emerging from behind the scenes to the main stage when he was cast as a judge on the hit series "Australian Idol."

Dickson has also appeared on the Australian version of "Dancing with the Stars" and hosted "Celebrity Survivor" and "My Restaurant Rules." He has garnered such awards as "Fave Old Fart" and "Fave Meanie" from Nickelodeon in Australia. Dickson is also partner of talent management firm Watercooler Talent.

Dominic Bowden has been at the forefront of television in New Zealand for the past seven years. Bowden has graced the covers of magazines and hosts his own national radio show, but it was the opportunity to host New Zealand's version of "American Idol" that made him a household name. "New Zealand Idol" has taken its place in Kiwi pop culture and with it, Bowden has become one of the country's most recognizable faces. Although a new face to American viewers, Bowden has hosted major television events in New Zealand and appeared in several feature films and television series.

THE NEXT GREAT AMERICAN BAND is produced by 19 Entertainment and FremantleMedia North America. Simon Fuller (19 Entertainment), Nigel Lythgoe (19 Entertainment), Ken Warwick (FremantleMedia North America) and Cecile Frot-Coutaz (FremantleMedia North America) are executive producers. Charles Boyd is co-executive producer.
    [url]http://creative.myspace.com/groups/_mh/americanband/press.html[/quote]
    "That's Numberwang!"

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: About the show

Link Here

'Next Great American Band' Tryouts Draw Aliens, Can-Bangers, Jazzy Grandmas
    By Gil Kaufman

You've seen some of the "talent" that doesn't make the cut on "American Idol." And if you've ever been down to the local indie-rock club on a Monday night, you know that some acts can rival William Hung on his best night. So, you can imagine the parade of wacky bands that lined up to get their moment in the sun on the "Idol" spinoff "The Next Great American Band," which debuts Friday night (October 19) on Fox.

"Band" follows a recipe similar to its benefactor: a pair of well-known judges and an unfamiliar-to-America wild card who plays the role of the, well, in this case, his name is revealing: Dicko. The latter is Ian "Dicko" Dickson, a tart-tongued former Australian "Idol" judge who will take his place alongside former Prince protégé Sheila E. and Goo Goo Dolls singer Johnny Rzeznik. After combing through more than 14,000 audition submissions, the judges sat through performances from 60 finalists during a hot couple of days in August in the Arizona desert, where they culled the group down to the final 12 band that will compete for a recording contract, with the winner based on audience voting.

Nigel Lythgoe, who produces "Band" as well as "Idol," answered one of the most pressing questions about the show in a recent interview with journalists: Will America be able to bond with a band versus the solitary-singer format of "Idol," and might audiences think it's too similar to another rock-band reality show, "Rock Star"? Lythgoe said no to both, explaining, " 'Rock Star' was about individuals. It was about individuals auditioning to be part of a band that had been successful years ago. This is not about that at all. It's about creating a market for a band that has been around for many years, to be honest, and it's about recognizing the talent that is so obviously ignored nowadays."

Unlike "Idol," the new show will not have a results program but will eliminate bands during its weekly one-hour time slot, with two acts going home the first two weeks. But each week's show will have a musical theme, similar to "Idol," with week one concentrating on Bob Dylan tunes.

Rzeznik, who Lythgoe described as a "deer in the headlights" when it first came to judging other people's music, said he was initially reluctant when he got the call about the show. "I like being in the recording studio and playing gigs, so when my manager called, I was like, 'I don't know, it's TV,' " Rzeznik said. "But then I met with the producers and they told me it would be real bands, not manufactured artists, and they would get to do their own original material, and I would get to give my honest opinion. And that sounded like fun."

Though Rzeznik could not reveal who made the final cut, he did say there were a few bands music fans might have heard of, such as Boston-area two-time major-label flameouts Damone and Detroit fuzz-rockers the Muggs. "The end game is a record deal, but I don't know how much of a prize that even is anymore," Rzeznik admitted. "It's interesting to me because it's a 21st-century battle of the bands at a time when it's getting harder and harder to sell records and to get noticed. A lot of record companies don't have the marketing budgets to push bands anymore, so this is a great way for bands to showcase themselves on a massive scale."

Rzeznik said he saw it all during the auditions, from polka to hip-hop played by bands featuring pre-teens, a group of women in their 80s doing old-time swing jazz, and a "Stomp"-like act that did a "performance piece" using trash cans and other unorthodox percussion. There were, of course, also bands who were just trying to get their few seconds of TV exposure, such as the group with a guitarist playing a Jimi Hendrix solo using a rubber chicken.

And then there were Zolar X. The glam-rock group, signed to former Dead Kennedys leader Jello Biafra's Alternative Tentacles label, have been around since the mid-1970s and are best known for dressing in alien drag 24-7 and speaking in a manufactured alien language, and for a stint as the house band at famed Los Angeles DJ Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco club in the '70s. Self-proclaimed "Plutonian Midget" leader Ygarr Ygarrist (born Stephen Della Bosca) said the band's manager saw an ad for the show and submitted the name figuring it had nothing to lose.

No doubt due to its outlandish résumé and look, the group was invited out to Vegas for an audition, but Ygarr said its time in the spotlight was brief. "We only got to play 40 seconds, not even two songs, and we didn't even get to the hook of our song 'Retro Rockets,' " lamented Ygarr, who said one of the judges (OK, Dicko), clearly didn't care for them. "This was a strange ordeal. All I know is that it was nice the first two and a half days and they interviewed us twice as long as the other bands. They asked what we would do if we won, and they asked us to talk some Zolarian language."

Did Ygarr really think the band had a chance? Kind of. "There was a point after we did a whole day of interviews where they had us built up, we were feeling pretty good," he said. "But how can Zolar X be the next great American band when we're not from the planet?"

For Rzeznik, the ultimate appeal of the show might be the fact that bands will get to play original music, but Lythgoe said "Idol" has avoided that in the past because the prospect of a budding songwriter going up against a classic Motown hit might not make for particularly compelling television.

"It's not about a single artist getting up there and playing with a slick session band and doing vocal gymnastics," Rzeznik said. "Plus, it's 10 blocks from my house and I only work one day a week, which is a great job if you can get it. I think there's definitely going to be more than one band getting a record deal out of this."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Dylan Night...I'm not sure how that bodes for the tweeners, or the black rockers from Philly, or the Big Band guys. But, I think The Clark Bros. & Sixwire should handle it pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2620697;
    Dylan Night...I'm not sure how that bodes for the tweeners, or the black rockers from Philly, or the Big Band guys. But, I think The Clark Bros. & Sixwire should handle it pretty well.
    Actually, I can see the Big Band doing Lay Lady Lay, the tweeners doing Gotta Serve Somebody, and Franklin Bridge doing justice to Hurricane.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread