+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Charlie Robison - Judge

Charlie Robison - Judge

As part of the judging panel for Nashville Star, Charlie Robison helps oversee the entire talent selection process, from the selection of the 12 finalists who are appearing on the program to helping to decide on a week-to-week basis which lucky contestants get to stay in Nashville and pursue their dream - and which ones have to pack their bags and go home. Never one to shy away from sharing his strong opinions or his love of the underdog, Robison can be counted on as the weeks progress (and the competition gets fiercer) to always urge the contestants toward better performances and guide them to find their own artistic integrity.

Born and raised in Bandera, Texas to a ranching family which has worked the same stretch of Hill Country since the 1840s, Robison grew up with a full plate of time-honored Lone Star State endeavors: working the ranch, playing football, singing country songs, and raising his fair share of hell.

The success of Robisonís second album, 2001ís Step Right Up (Columbia/Lucky Dog) has recently kept his ranching time to a minimum. Robisonís inspired, lust-in-the-dust remake of NRBQís "I Want You Bad" had a lengthy run in countryís Top 30 while simultaneously making inroads on the college radio market, and his spirited, stage-quaking live performances have earned him a fast-growing reputation as an act that must be seen to be fully appreciated.

Embracing elements of such mavericks as Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, and even Bruce Springsteen, Robisonís music has a heartland/populist approach that blends his natural gifts as a storyteller with a genuine affection for high-steppiní honky-tonk. But Robison also has a rock-and-rollerís instinct to rattle the cage, surrendering now and then to an impulse to poke a little fun at the stuffed shirts on Music Row. Robisonís shoot-from-the-hip tendencies may have occasionally dipped him in some hot water, but the upshot is that audiences recognize and respond to his refreshing candor. His honest, "what you see is what you get" stance has helped him to become a true "crossover" entertainer.

Robison is currently at work on his third Columbia/Lucky Dog disc with Step Right Up co-producer Blake Chancey, due for release in Spring 2003. Charlieís version of "Donít Take Your Guns To Town" was recently included on Sonyís all-star Johnny Cash tribute album alongside salutes by Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Sheryl Crow, Emmylou Harris, Dwight Yoakam, Kebí Moí, Little Richard, Travis Tritt, and Marty Stuart.

Robison is married to Emily Robison of The Dixie Chicks, and they recently had their first child together, a son. His official website can be found at www.charlierobison.com.

He's got quite the Country pedigree.
    "That's Numberwang!"

That he does, Fluff...

Charlie was pretty F*ing funny on the show. I liked him. I got the feeling that he is the head judge, but they never specifically said so. He likes the ladies. A lot. I don't think he necessarily goes for looks over talent, but he surely thinks looks make a difference.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

I think he is the "head judge", akin to Simon and Lorenzo, but hopefully with his own style.

He cracks me up with all his pursed-lip aggravation while the folks are singing. I never expect all those positive things to come out of his mouth given the way he looks during their acts.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Sleeping with George W
    In private deliberations when he said one of the girls made his "male parts vibrate" (or something like that, I died laughing. My only concern is that he'll press harder for a girl to win, and my absolute favorite is the guy with the harmonnica.

He does seem to let his "jiggling" dictate some of his decisions.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Regular
    I'm beginning to think that Charlie is the Lorenzo Lamas of the show! They're going to need to give him a bucket pretty soon to hold his drool (or whatever)...

BTW, has anyone else noticed that he seems to be developing a rather significant stutter? Or, more likely, he always had it but for some reason it was under better control initially. It's getting worse now each week! I kind of feel bad for him, he seems to really struggle through his sentences sometimes.

(My other thought is that perhaps they aren't always speaking what THEY really think...have you noticed them talking sometimes during performances, and they seem to be pointing at one another like 'okay, you be the good cop, I'll be the bad cop this time'???!!! Maybe if he isn't comfortable with what he's saying, and it isn't "from the heart/gut", then his stutter is accentuated?
    Hmmmm....)

+ Reply to Thread