+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

4/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Anybody watching tonight?

Premium Member
    Hey, it's not on here on the West Coast yet, Unk! But of course, I'll end up recording it for tomorrow's viewing pleasure, anyway (past my bedtime).

Since AI is currently on now, was wondering if perhaps Kenny Rogers wasn't the first cross-over guest star for both American Idol and Nashville Star? (Would've been interesting, if not confusing, to have him on both shows on the same night)

I'll be watching later.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Premium Member
    Since I recorded last night's show and didn't get to discuss it live, while it happened in this thread, thought I'd do so this afternoon as I watched it. Apparently, I didn't miss much discussion last night, however. Cool, it will be like I'm talking to myself, as usual. But at least no interruptions, and I can ramble on freely, huh? Sweet!

Ah, Nashville Star - loves it!! Too bad it's not on a major network, I seriously think it could attract a decent viewing audience, and there might be slightly more discussion going on here.

You know, I've watched each season of NS so far, and it never lets me down. And if I stop and think about it, seems like it would be odd that I never listen to country music outside of this show, but that certainly doesn't keep me from watching every week, each season, without fail. I don't know the statistics of record sales for each previous winner or contestant, but compared to other music shows on the air, these guys have some serious talent and certainly deserve to have very good careers after the show ends. Impressive. And as this week's show begins, I think about how I've wondered why, for instance, last year's winner of American Idol, or a certain couple of this year's AI contestants who obviously prefer the country music genre do not apply to be contestants on Nashville Star and it's painfully clear to me why not - they would actually be facing competition. And I don't think they would do so well.

Guest artist this evening - Sara Evans. That's the kind of country I handle the best, probably - more on the pop side, less twangy. Well, unless I find myself drowning my sorrows all night somewhere, then it's a Loretta Lynn's greatest hits collection all the way.

Chris Young is performing first tonight, which means "he's safe" in AI vernacular, and I am thinking to myself, whoa, that dude's only 20 years old?? The way he carries himself, his voice, the whole persona would appear that he's older than half the AI contestants, but in reality, if he is, it can't be by much. His performance tonight, I can hear Simon already saying "best performance of any contestant we've had on AI by far". And as usual, I'd agree with Simon. As for Paula, well, she would probably be dancing around, slurring her words and be generally drunk with uh, happiness. (Surely, she doesn't mix her Coke product with anything, ahem)

"Bring your parent to work day", ha! Wy and Naomi need to be hosting together each week, this is cracking me up! They definitely made a good choice in having Naomi Judd be a guest judge, she's actually more productive than the two standard judges.

Who's next? Oh yeah, Kristen McNamara - not my favourite contestant, but decent song selection this week. And huge props to Naomi for her critique on this one!! She tells Phil and Anastasia to not worry about the makeup and clothing, this show is supposed to be about substance.

"If it's not one thing, it's your mother." Methinks Wy is having fun this week, hehe.

No surprise to me that Casey Rivers is performing next - I had him ranked first after last week's performance. Now, since he's performing third, is that representative of the votes he received this week? Not clear to me. He's doing Great Balls of Fire? hmmm Not something I would try - seems too gimmicky of a song, always has. Was it a legitimate tune back in the day, or was it just as silly back then? Ah, Anastasia confirms my thoughts. And Phil isn't happy with the choice either. Naomi concurs with a 'Great Balls of Lukewarm' comment. I mean, dude went from an acoustic selection last week, to this circus performance, not too smart. You're only as good as your last performance and like a flash from Men in Black, I fear he has erased last week's outstanding performance from the voter's memories.

Hey, a Tostito's commercial where the contestants are doing impersonations of one another - it's pretty funny, actually. But then, I'm easily amused. Oh hey, something sparkly... See?

Jared Ashley's turn to play the geetar tonight. Phil says he looked really comfortable tonight, but apparently too comfortable for Anastasia who says he phoned in this performance. Too bad neither Phil nor Jared knows what that expression means - guess they haven't watched AI before? Naomi comments that he's comfortable because he does 160 shows a year. ?! Well, I would definitely say he is well qualified for this show - he has his own bus, and a band and lives off singing? Well shoot, I'd almost prefer giving my vote to someone who's a bit more up and coming, than already so established...

Oh, I see why Naomi is a guest judge this week, not just because her daughter's hosting, but apparently she has her own morning show. I was not aware.

Two girls and one guy remaining - and Matt Mason is performing next. I already know I am not that big a Matt Mason fan - and as soon as I hear the phrase "I gotta little change in my pocket going jing-a-ling-a-ling" my ears start bleeding and I pray for the couch to swallow me alive - anything to escape this horror. But I sure know I am in the minority here, everyone else seems captivated by him. This vocal performance has some twang in it, some falsetto, and something close to yodelling. Now I see why Paula drinks while judging. I mean, not that she's ever altered during a broadcast, of course, ahem.

Bye bye eye candy, it's see ya later Melanie Torres time. I thought she was one of the bottom three last week, but kinda thought Nicole or Kristen would be leaving first.

Which means Nicole Jamrose gets to stay. And apparently the performing order is indicative of votes received, as they discuss afterwards about her being in the bottom two. She actually does a good Bonnie Raitt tune, also while playing the guitar, but is that enough to keep her out of the bottom two next week? After all, there are only two girls remaining, and four guys. But I tend to agree, the two remaning girls seem to be weaker than they guys, so I won't be surprised if they get fewer votes.

And as always, I could do without the Small Talk with Two Foot Fred segment as the credits roll - I never understand a word that is being said, anyway.

Kristen is now offically my Erika Jo of this season...I dislike her so much.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Mozzz-great analysis. I just started watching this year. I'm having a hard time picking a favorite since they do all seem so talented. You don't hear a lot of out of tune songs, so IMO it's more about song choice. I hope they bring Naomi back to guest judge again. She was very kind with her assessment, but did not leave off being critical too. She wasn't afraid to say what she didn't like but wasn't mean-spirited about it at all.

I really like how Wynona is connecting so much with these contestants and feels so deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    Kristen is now offically my Erika Jo of this season...I dislike her so much.
    That sums it up exactly. Let's hope she doesn't do what EJ did and win!

Chris is my favorite, with Casey a strong second last week but only a distant second this week. Jared and Matt seem like the same 'oh, is he still here' guy. I like Nicole, but I don't think she'll be around too much longer. It would make my day if Kristen went before she did.
    Wag more, bark less

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar
    mozzz...you read my mind completely! I totally agree with your excellent recap!

This show does have tons of talent...Bucky and Kellie wouldn't even make the final cut if they tried out! I'm just loving this season...I like most of the contestants (except for the two women left - never have been a big female country singer fan, I'm very selective about them - although I really liked Melanie who got the boot ) Wy and Cowboy Troy are adorable together (I too love how supportive Wy is, kind of a motherly figure almost) the show's got it all. The only quibble I have is with the judges, they're just not as good as the ones they had the first season. And I wish Naomi would become permanent, she had lots of constructive things to say.

Chris is my favorite right now...his voice, his looks, and I'm glad he changed up his hat...I hated that grungy Toby Keith wannabe one he was wearing earlier. Casey - hated his song choice but still enjoyed watching him. Matt - his performance was just alright, too nasally but I think it was the song cuz I usually like him. The women were ok but I'd be happy to see one of them leave. And Jared - I can't even remember what he sang so I guess I wasn't impressed with him.
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

Quote Originally Posted by mozzz View Post
    I don't know the statistics of record sales for each previous winner or contestant, but compared to other music shows on the air, these guys have some serious talent and certainly deserve to have very good careers after the show ends. Impressive. And as this week's show begins, I think about how I've wondered why, for instance, last year's winner of American Idol, or a certain couple of this year's AI contestants who obviously prefer the country music genre do not apply to be contestants on Nashville Star and it's painfully clear to me why not - they would actually be facing competition. And I don't think they would do so well.
    I don't know the record sale statistics either, but I don't imagine they could be very good. Buddy Jewel had moderate success for awhile, but he has been dropped from his label. Never heard anything from season 2 winner Brad Cotter and season 3 winner Erika Jo. Which doesn't surprise me really as I think they both beat out better talent because the show was trying to find somebody pop crossover marketable. My guess is that Miranda Lambert will have the best success. She has the marketable looks, can write songs, and she has a decent voice.

I think the reason Carrie, Kellie and Bucky didn't try out for Nashville Star is not that they wouldn't make the cut (they probably wouldn't have), but because the exposure on American Idol is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by texasgirl73 View Post
    The only quibble I have is with the judges, they're just not as good as the ones they had the first season.
    I absolutely agree. And it's because Sony dropped the show. I can't even remember which label is doing it now, but they need to get better judges and get rid of the guest judge concept. Unless it's an extra guest judge in addition to 3 regulars. I can't stand them using the guest judge to promote whatever it is they are promoting, and I could also do without the guest stars prior to the finale. It should be about the contestants. I haven't liked the last 2 seasons as much as I loved the first 2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast