+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

3/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Please keep all discussion of tonight's show in this thread only until 2 a.m. Eastern.
    Thanks and enjoy the show.

FORT Fogey
    ouch, no discussions?

Premium Member
    Some of us have posted in the "so nobody is watching this..." thread. I was at work when it was on so couldn't discuss here. It seems that a lot of people have a hard time catching this because the time slot conflicts with too many other shows.

Premium Member
    Finally got to watch my recording.

My overview:

Well, judge Anastasia Brown certainly looks great this year! Considering she doesn't get a whole lot of air time each week, she's sure making each minute count.

Now, as far as Phil Vassar, just seems like each year he contributes less and less useful information. Mostly commenting on the contestants' looks.

Kenny Rogers opening the show - wow, he has aged a lot since I last saw him! I don't even think he can keep up with time by having more and more work done, though it looks like he's trying. He looked too disheveled and his voice sounded so shot when he was performing Islands in the Stream, which was sped up just a bit too much to be enjoyed. It's not a rock song. And his voice was choppy and he could not hold a note for more than a second. Good thing he's not a contestant!

Melanie Torres - probably didn't hurt that her dress closely resembled a nightie. Only cool thing is, whenever you try to cover the song "Crying", you really have no other option than to make it your own, because you surely won't match the original quality.

Casey Rivers - Okay, not sure if he performed a great acoustic rendition of "Your Cheatin' Heart" or if that's such a timeless song that is impossible to screw up, but that was definitely his best performance in my opinion. That was smoooooth!

And hopefully I'm not just comparing all these performance to Tuesday's horrible AI show, which has still left a bitter taste for me.

Even Kristen McNamara seemed to be on this week, even though guest host John Cena seemed to recognize she's one of the weaker performers and actually called her on it, which of course will upset the crowd - having a guest host saying anything negative. But he wasn't being overly critical.

Chris Young totally put the country in Nashville Star this evening, I am amazed! Sure, as Anastasia might've pointed out, he didn't really take a risk with his song choice this week, but wow, he knocked this one out the park, so who cares - he left a great impression on the voters. Another performance like that and I might have to jump on the bandwagon.

Nicole Jamrose might be in trouble with this week's performance, I think. (I have no idea how the country music fans will vote, of course, so I might be way off here, especially considering how the judges absolutely loved it.) Her song choice/performance just seemed too far out of place with the rest of the competition - like Monique always doing Broadway style vocals just stands out in a negative way.

And speaking of.... Monique was just eliminated, but as good as she is, this season just wasn't her fit.

Matt Mason was actually able to work "whiskey on ice, women on fire" into a conversation this evening, so I think he gets bonus points, heh. He then proceeds to have a great performance.

I would rank Melanie Torres, Kristen McNamara and Nicole Jamrose as the weakest performers this week, but that's probably way off.

Premium Member
    Well, mozzz.. I pretty much agree with you. Kenny Rogers is getting painful to listen too. He can't hit the high notes anymore so he just kind of screeches. I liked Melanie and Chris a lot, and I though Matt sounded a lot like Randy Travis at times. Kristen and Nicole were the weakest in my opinion but I thought everyone was way better than the miserable crapfest that AI was this week. I really wish they would can the guest performances and have the contestants do a whole song.

+ Reply to Thread