+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Arthur Martinez

John Arthur Martinez - Finalist on Nashville Star

John's website is at http://www.jamrecords.com/

Here is a bio and picture of John, from his site:

john Arthur' s musical roots began with his father, a drummer who played in several Austin-area Mexican conjuntos and country bands, and his education-minded mother, who sharpened his poetic instincts. In grade school, john Arthur began writing poetry and was soon writing heartfelt songs. It was in college that john Arthur's singer/songwriter career emerged. An uncle had given him a small amount of money with some advice attached: Buy something you don't need. john Arthur spent the money on a guitar. "At the time, I didn't think I needed a guitar," he recalls. "Of course, now I know I couldn't live without one."

By the time john Arthur graduated from Southwest Texas State University, where he was voted most talented Hispanic and nominated best dancer, he was playing three engagements a week. This has grown to an average of five nights a week including openings for Diamond Rio, Reuben Ramos, The Texas Tornados, Robert Earl Keen, Tish Hinojosa, Emmylou Harris, Holly Dunn, John Prine, Hal Ketchum, Gary P. Nunn, Johnny Gimble and Floyd Tillman.

Recent highlights include an invitation to open the prestigious songwriter showcase of the Ben Crenshaw, Darrell Royal, Willie Nelson Golf Tournament, which included Whitey Shafer, Alex Harvey, Allen Shamblin, Jim Ed Brown, Sonny Throckmorton, Pat Green and Doug Supernaw. With the current release of john Arthur martinez' Stand Your Ground the fruits of his labors are blossoming--ready for the harvest.

HOMETOWN/CURRENTLY RESIDES: Marble Falls, TX

BIO: John Arthur owns and runs a small independent record label, but also keeps busy being the father of four children, ages 9-20. John Arthur plays a traditional brand of country music around the Austin area, and is known for singing portions of classic country songs in Spanish.

QUOTE: "Start with a Rodney Crowell lyric, stir in a James Taylor acoustic guitar lick, add a pinch of Western Swing, season with a Freddie Fender melody, and enjoy a bowl of heart-warming John Arthur Martinez chili!"

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: www.jamrecords.com

Good to see an older guy performing.
    Makes one feel this show will be more about the voice than the look.
    "That's Numberwang!"

It seems kind of strange that the show would feature such an accomplished singer/songwriter in the mix. I suppose it raises the bar.

John's CD's are available at his website along with a few sample MP3's.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

John did a great job. In some ways he reminded me of John Hiatt, (who I just love). I liked the song he sung in Spanish too. If Tracy had her way, I think we would be watching a contest between Buddy and John for the next 8 weeks.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

I'm glad they've picked some older talent, people who've been around the business. And I'm really happy to see that they're doing well.

He sang an Alison Krauss song!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Sleeping with George W
    Then this guy sings in Spanish, I just turn to complete jello! Hope he's in it for the long haul.

I'm certain he'll stay for a while. You can't go wrong picking Alison Krauss material and singing it as well as he did.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

He did another fine job, but he's starting to paint himself into a corner, I think. He needs to pull a Buddy and show us some more dimensions of himself. His earnestness is great, but it's not particularly charismatic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast