+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite country artists?

Keith Whitley has always been a fave of mine as well as Lori Morgan who was also wed to another all time fave of mine Sammy Kershaw.

I love this new stuff. I don't think Keith Urban or Kenny Chesney has recorded anything bad in the last couple of years. Yes, I love that island stuff phat. I'm pink collar and have to work, but being able to sleep away for moments to the island is enough to get me through a bad day!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy207
    But my ALL TIME FAVORITE is George Strait. Oh, yeah.
    I like George Strait a lot, but I think John Michael Montgomery is quickly climbing to the top of my all-time favorites chart, along with Alan Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    You can't be from the south and not sing that song when you're drinking.
    Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I find Keith Urban very catchy -- lot of good driving songs. Generally, my favorite country singers are women -- love the Dixie Chicks, for example...I love that so many country artists seem to have more real musical talent than studio-synthesized pop singers.
    You'll Think of Me is a serious joint. It's fantastic. (In fact, between the last sentence and this one, I just bought it for $0.99 from MusicMatch. ETA: ...and playing it now that it's downloaded )

But, boy, Keith has a lot of angst in that video though, doesn't he? Maybe the dingo got his (honey)baby. Don't flame me, Australians!

As for women, I like the Dixie Chicks for their music all right, but I like their politics even better. I like women like Dolly and Reba when it comes to country.

Country artists do seem to have more vocal talent. They don't have a lot of synthesized instruments or studio tomfoolery to make them sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    I saw Alison Krauss this weekend.
    Speaking of whom: [singing] "She put him out, like the burnin' end of a midnight cigarette..." Her Whiskey Lullaby with Brad Paisley is perhaps one of my favorites of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    Yes, I love that island stuff phat. I'm pink collar and have to work, but being able to sleep away for moments to the island is enough to get me through a bad day!
    I hear ya. Who am I to judge? After work tonight, I'll probably have drinks and dinner at Bahama Breeze "Caribbean style" bar and grill. See y'all there, if you're in my area.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Bocephus himself. Hank Williams Jr.

Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Johnny Cash, Hank, George Strait, George Jones, and Conway Twitty. As for the ladies, Reba McEntire, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline. That about covers it.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

The only country artist I have ever loved, Patsy Cline.

All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Premium Member
    Patsy Cline is timeless. I also love Trisha Yearwood, Allison Krauss, Diamond Rio, Blackhawk, Mary Chapin Carpenter, the Dixie Chicks when they do bluegrass. I love Bluegrass.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    I love Alan Jackson, Alison Krause & Union Station, Clint Black, Kelly Willis, George Strait, Dwight Yoakam, Trisha Yearwood, Rodney Crowell, Old Crow Medicine Show, Eric Heatherly, Chely Wright

Of the new ladies on the scene, I love Mindy Smith, Shelley Fairchild, Gretchen Wilson. Of the "cross over" ladies, Sara Evans is my favorite, though I thinks she's best with traditional Country, songs like "Suds in the Bucket".

I really liked Loretta Lynn and Jack White's collaboration. That is an exceptional CD.

And ofcourse all the greats, both living and dead.

I just recently became familiar with a male singer I instantly loved. Marc Broussard, the song was "Take Me Home"...just blew me away. He makes Bo Bice, who I do like, sound like Andy Williams.

Hot Apple Pie's "Hillybillies (lovin' in the Hay)" should have been nominated for record of the year. "Goodness!"
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

Nimmy is my American Idol Enya Windo's Avatar
    Like most of the ones mentioned. I especially like Patsy Cline, Alan Jackson, The Judds, Lyle Lovett, Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris, Dixie Chicks, Kathy Mattea, Garth, and Brooks & Dunn.
    Can't stand Toby Keith! Not as crazy about the crossovers like Shania and Faith. Love bluegrass like Ralph Stanley, Gillian Welch, and Ricky Skaggs and Patty Loveless.

FORT Fan

Some Canadian content

As a former country music songwriter and a huge fan (this may get me in trouble with a few of the AI crowd), I have to agree with all of the above. Some of my favorites are George Jones, Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and Keith Whitley and all of The Outlaws.

George Canyon has done Canada proud and I predict he will be turning out hits for years. Go George . Without hoping to include the many artists who have or are contributing to the the Canadian country galaxy, I'd like to give kudos to the following: Ian Tyson, Dick Damron, The Family Brown, Laura Vinson, Neville Wells, Ted Daigle and the dearly missed Terry Carisse and Ralph Carlson.

Really looking forward to this year's Nashville Star. Any other Canadian fans out there?
    Last edited by augie; 03-09-2006 at 05:13 PM. Reason: name missing

FORT Fogey
    i wasn't a fan of country music but LeAnn Rimes changed that. I love her and now raskal flatts was added to the list.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast