+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite country artists?

Breaker Breaker 1-9, She's a Big Ol' Flirt

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723
    I also think I forgot to mention when I was posting earlier in this thread that I like Blake Shelton, Josh Gracin, Josh Turner, I'm sure there are many more I'll think of later.
    You know, the funny thing is, when Josh Gracin was on American Idol, I couldn't stomach him from the first time I saw him. But I have to admit that Nothing to Lose is catchy as all get-out, even though the hook (Breaker breaker 1-9/She's a big ol' flirt) doesn't make one lick of sense.

I like Blake Shelton for Some Beach, the charms of which I tried to explain to Mantenna and Snowflakegirl, only to have them smile, nod and back away slowly.

As for dislikes, I'll tell you who I dislike: Lonestar. Could there possibly be a more insipid "country" song than Mr. Mom?! The ghost of Johnny Cash ought to come on stage and smash a guitar over their heads the next time they perform it.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I like...George Strait, Tracey (sp) Byrd, Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, JoDee Messina (Yes, "My Give a Damn's Busted is my new theme song), Gretchen Wilson, Big and Rich, Trace Adkins, Kenny Chesney. I am not a fan of Shania or LeAnn. But I guess it is all about taste.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    You know, the funny thing is, when Josh Gracin was on American Idol, I couldn't stomach him from the first time I saw him. But I have to admit that Nothing to Lose is catchy as all get-out, even though the hook (Breaker breaker 1-9/She's a big ol' flirt) doesn't make one lick of sense.
    The whole song doesn't make much sense ("she's got me rollin' in dirt in a white t-shirt"?), but it's fun and makes me smile. I always thought he was pretty good on AI, and I'm glad to see him doing so well

I like Blake Shelton for Some Beach, the charms of which I tried to explain to Mantenna and Snowflakegirl, only to have them smile, nod and back away slowly.
    ooo, I love Some Beach. I actually found myself saying that at work one day when something was going wrong on the computer, and my office mate started laughing. She said, you must have been listening to that Blake Shelton song. I think if people don't like country, they just don't get it. I didn't actually realize what a great voice Blake has though until I heard his new song. Wow.

As for dislikes, I'll tell you who I dislike: Lonestar. Could there possibly be a more insipid "country" song than Mr. Mom?! The ghost of Johnny Cash ought to come on stage and smash a guitar over their heads the next time they perform it.
    I agree, and the video is worse than the song. I also dislike Rascal Flats and Kenny Chesney (except his single Anything But Mine ). I don't like songs with short, rhyming lines that drag out the last word (like What I Love About Sunday and Paint Me a Birmingham).

I've been on a big Keith Urban kick for a while now, but my absolute favorite country artist has to be Paul Brandt. I'm a happy girl when I hear him sing!

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723
    The whole song doesn't make much sense ("she's got me rollin' in dirt in a white t-shirt"?), but it's fun and makes me smile.
    You're right about the "rollin' in dirt in a white T-shirt." (As a matter of fact, I'm listening to it right now. He needs to fire his songwriter over these lyrics, but you just gotta love that fiddle.)

ooo, I love Some Beach. I actually found myself saying that at work one day when something was going wrong on the computer, and my office mate started laughing.
    I registered my new truck last week, and I tried to get the personalized plate SOMEBCH, but was told there was no way I was getting away with that one.

I also dislike Rascal Flats and Kenny Chesney (except his single Anything But Mine ).
    You know, the problem I see with Kenny Chesney is the same problem I have with Jimmy Buffett: that "Hey! Let's all go the islands and have a good time!" vibe in their music. First of all, it's not conducive to good country music. (Well, I nod my head to Kenny Chesney on the radio, but I hate myself for it.)

And secondly, oh, you're a (finger quotes) "pirate"? Oh, okay, (finger quotes) "pirate." I don't know many "pirates" who charge me $8 for a cheeseburger at their chain restaurants.

(And c'mon, Jimmy, yeah yeah, "Margaritaville." Okay, whatever. Restaurant named for the song, ha ha. If you really wanted a name for the restaurant, go with The Jimmy BUFFET--there's your name, right there. But I digress.)

I think Kenny Chesney has the same attitude. I think, "Sorry, boys, I'm sure Grand Cayman is fun, but you're singing to a blue-collar crowd, and most of us have to actually work for a living, and we can't afford to take a private helicopter out to the Caymans and boat around on our personal pleasure cruisers."

Oh, at the moment, I also really like Nobody Knows by Kevin Sharp and John Michael Montgomery's I Can Love You Like That and I Swear. When country artists (especially males) cover R&B, it really can work!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

And secondly, oh, you're a (finger quotes) "pirate"? Oh, okay, (finger quotes) "pirate." I don't know many "pirates" who charge me $8 for a cheeseburger at their chain restaurants.
    Heh... isn't that the nature of a pirate...err..."pirate"? Pirates r***, pillage, and steal. Charging $8 for a burger certainly qualifies.

Lots of pirates in NYC. They charge $16 for a cheeseburger at TGIFriday's, fer chrissakes!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Lots of pirates in NYC. They charge $16 for a cheeseburger at TGIFriday's, fer chrissakes!
    That ain't right.

My favorites are Brad Paisley (Mud on the Tires is currently my ringtone), Keith Urban, Reba, and Martina. But my ALL TIME FAVORITE is George Strait. Oh, yeah.

Phat, I'm almost ashamed to say, I know most of the lyrics to the song in your sig. You can't be from the south and not sing that song when you're drinking.

I find Keith Urban very catchy -- lot of good driving songs. Generally, my favorite country singers are women -- love the Dixie Chicks, for example. I love a good a$$-kicking country song, and I love that so many country artists seem to have more real musical talent than studio-synthesized pop singers.
    I'm a huge fan of The Mavericks -- I think they broke up a couple of years ago, and they never fully belonged in the country category anyway; sort of a mix of Cuban and country. Sounds odd, but is awesome, and the lead singer had an incredible voice.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Phat, I'm glad to see you mentioned Sugarland. I saw Alison Krauss this weekend. 5 stars out of 5. Great show. I like a mix of old and new country. George Jones "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is one of my all time favorites. Vince Gill is good. Trisha Yearwood, Shedaisy I could go on for quite awhile. Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline old school are great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast