+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite country artists?

I used to hate Country & Western, but after listening to the girlfriend's collection and from flipping around the dial, I find myself liking Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson and George Strait.

And--I can't believe I'm admitting this since his war anthems leave a bad taste in my mouth--I like some of Toby Keith's songs, especially How Do You Like Me Now and I Love This Bar. As long as he stays away from the war stuff, I have no problems with him; the other stuff is just fun.

As for women, I like the songs Breathe (Faith Hill) and Nothin' Bout Love Makes Sense (LeAnn Rimes), but, really, without opening a whole can of worms here, I think of songs like that as more pop-rock than Country & Western.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    As for women, I like the songs Breathe (Faith Hill) and Nothin' Bout Love Makes Sense (LeAnn Rimes), but, really, without opening a whole can of worms here, I think of songs like that as more pop-rock than Country & Western.
    They are more pop/rock than Country. That's a sore point for some fans of traditional country. I think there's room for both, and some I like (Nothing bout love makes sense), some I hate (breathe). We even have a rapping cowboy (which I like) (not rap, just Cowboy Troy). I still do like the twang though

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Trace Adkins (love that deep voice and his videos are hilarious), Brad Paisley (again, good sense of humor), Big and Rich (are we seeing a trend here?), and my all-time favorite Toby Keith (including his "patriotic" songs).

As for the women, I like Deana Carter, Martina McBride, and Jo Dee Messina. (How can anyone not like a woman who makes a hit out of a song titled "My Give a Damn's Busted"?!?!?)

As for up-and-comers, I'm pretty impressed with Blaine (?) Larson; great voice and very traditional-sounding.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by sher
    oh yeah, back when i was a kid, i had records - and by records i do indeed mean vinyl - of kenny rogers and alabama. i loved kenny rogers.

and gordnas, i, too, would be tuned into all 80s all the time if i had satellite radio.

Vinyl... what a blast from the past.
    Kenny Rogers used to win all the awards. My favorite song was... Islands in the Stream. Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton.

80's music is my favorite. I don't have satellite yet... but my cable has a station that plays all 80's. Its great!

Quote Originally Posted by mom3
    As for the women, I like Deana Carter, Martina McBride, and Jo Dee Messina. (How can anyone not like a woman who makes a hit out of a song titled "My Give a Damn's Busted"?!?!?)
    All great women!

And that song reminded me of another great oldie: Joe Diffie, who wrote and originally recorded "My Give a Damn's Busted."
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723
    We even have a rapping cowboy (which I like) (not rap, just Cowboy Troy).
    I heard an interview with Cowboy Troy just recently on a local radio station. I haven't heard any of his music, so I can't comment, but I think that country/hip-hop fusion has possibilities. Please don't laugh me out of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mom3
    Lately I've been listening to a lot of Trace Adkins (love that deep voice and his videos are hilarious), Brad Paisley (snip)
    I couldn't name a Trace Adkins song, but I like Brad Paisley's Mud on the Tires. He's also a Trekkie (did a charity event with William Shatner and was excitedly goofball about it)--so how can I not like him? (And that boy either has the best or the worst country singer name ever; I haven't decided. )

Oh, I forgot to mention that, singles-wise, at the moment, I also like Sugar Land's Baby Girl (I have Unklescott to thank for that) and...damn. I replied just to mention it. I'm sure it'll occur to me again later, when I don't have access to a computer.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I heard an interview with Cowboy Troy just recently on a local radio station. I haven't heard any of his music, so I can't comment, but I think that country/hip-hop fusion has possibilities. Please don't laugh me out of the thread.

Heh, phat.... you would get a kick out of Tim McGraw's duets with Nelly, then.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Personally, I love me some Keith Urban! Can't get enough of that babe!

I also like Josh Gracin, Kenny Chesney (except when he bellows about sexy tractors) and some Tim McGraw. I also can't say enough good about King George Strait! I always had a thing for the pretty boys -- David Kersh, Wade Hays, and Rick Trevino. Can't believe Wade pulled the plug on his own career! Bummed me out!

I don't know if I have a true NS favorite because all I've seen are people singing other people's songs. And they pick those that are just awesome (like Strait and company). It's hard not to compare them to the original. I think the test will be how they do with their own stuff (really just like AI). I wasn't crazy about Clay on AI, but when he picked his own stuff, I became an instant Claymate. I could see that happening iwth Jason definitely. I'd say he's my favorite and EJ is my least favorite.

Oh, country music is really spreading. I just got back from Waikiki, and there's finally a country station there and even a country bar. It's called Nashville Waikiki. Great mai tai's and lots of fun on Friday and Saturdays. All the military guys from cowboy country come in there in their best boots, hats, and tight jeans. The night I was there, a group of Marines had just returned from Iraq, so it was a real party! I'm glad to see that the Hawaiians are finally realizing how good country is! Definitely looks good again for the genre (after a few struggling years).
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

I like Colin Raye, Josh Gracin, Crystal Bernard --- I have one her cds and keep meaning to see if she has any more, Shania Twain and Garth Brooks. I do have a Leann Rimes cd too.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I saw his video a few weeks ago and liked it. I can't for the life of me remember the name though. I like traditional country, but I'm open to new ideas too.

I couldn't name a Trace Adkins song, but I like Brad Paisley's Mud on the Tires. He's also a Trekkie (did a charity event with William Shatner and was excitedly goofball about it)--so how can I not like him? (And that boy either has the best or the worst country singer name ever; I haven't decided. )[/QUOTE]

I like Brad Paisley too, I think he has a wicked sense of humor. I'm not always that crazy about his songs though. I also think I forgot to mention when I was posting earlier in this thread that I like Blake Shelton, Josh Gracin, Josh Turner, I'm sure there are many more I'll think of later.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast