+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who goes 4/24?

FORT Newbie

Time for Matt to go

Hi gang, I haven't posted since last May but I've been "lurking".

Tracy was correct in telling Matt that "it's now crunch time". Although Matt has a funny, entertaining style, he would have been better received if he would have performed a more serious tune. He does have a Roger Miller similarity, but even the late, great Roger Miller gave us ballads like: "When two worlds collide" and "Little Toy Train". When Brad Cotter performed Willie Nelson's "Last thing I needed" two weeks ago, he sold me. That kid can sing!

Let's face it, country music comes from the heart. Whether it's a broken heart, a happy heart, a spiritual heart, or a heartache drowned in booze, country music transcends the emotions that link us all together.

The sad thing is, Matt does have a sensitive side (as per his St. Judes experience). Matt should have (imho) used that experience to show us his heart in song. An opportunity lost (imho). Oh, if only Matt would have picked Roger Miller's "When two worlds collide", he would have blown us all away.

It's Brad's to lose. I think Nashville has enough prototypes like George and Lance.
    Character is doing the right thing when no one is watching

When Brad Cotter performed Willie Nelson's "Last thing I needed" two weeks ago, he sold me. That kid can sing!
    Yes, he most certainly can.

I'll be really surprised if Matt performs this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill H.
    It's Brad's to lose. I think Nashville has enough prototypes like George and Lance.
    It's all a matter of taste. I think Brad has a nice voice and good stage presence, but he's not particularly country sounding (to me). His singing of Drift Away last week showed me he would be better off in the pop/rock venues.

I really hope they all get record deals.

It's all a matter of taste. I think Brad has a nice voice and good stage presence, but he's not particularly country sounding (to me). His singing of Drift Away last week showed me he would be better off in the pop/rock venues.
    It just shows you how opinions differ. IMO, Brad singing (and doing such a great job with, I might add) "Drift Away", showed his versatility. Him singing Willy's "Last Thing I Needed" showed he is a country artist.

FORT Regular
    I think Matt will go just because of the undecideds going with what Tracy said.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by halobrown
    I think Matt will go just because of the undecideds going with what Tracy said.
    Well, now I see it doesn't really matter. People actually vote more than once for the same person? So it's not really who is the most popular, but who's fans have the most time on their hands...

I won't bother to watch anymore of this show. I hadn't watched much to begin with, but I've now been reminded why I don't watch American Idol anymore... It's not who's most deserving or even who has the most number of people voting for them, it's who gets the most votes....

trying to be objective

I do have my favorite but I am trying to be objective in my decisions.

My pics for this week are:
    1. Brad
    2. George - will get a contract no matter what
    3. Matt-it is a toss up between him an Lance but I think he has a bigger fan base.
    4. Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene
    Well, now I see it doesn't really matter. People actually vote more than once for the same person? So it's not really who is the most popular, but who's fans have the most time on their hands...
    According to the web site, you can only vote a total of 20 times, 10 by phone and 10 on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne
    It just shows you how opinions differ. IMO, Brad singing (and doing such a great job with, I might add) "Drift Away", showed his versatility. Him singing Willy's "Last Thing I Needed" showed he is a country artist.
    I agree, he did a great job with Drift Away. I also agree, he's probably the most versatile, and has the best stage presence. Don't get me wrong, I do like his voice, and he's grown on me a lot since original song night. So many of the country artists these days sound more like pop to me anyway, so he is probably the most marketable as well. I fully expect him to win, and I won't be *too* disappointed if he does.

Honestly, I like all four of these guys. I agree with Tracy that Matt should go this week. Although I find him very entertaining, he isn't as vocally strong as the other three. Beyond that, it's a tossup for me. I know a lot of you don't like Lance because of the twang, but he's really grown on me, and I hope he makes it to the final three. I'm figuring George and Brad are shoe-ins.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene
    It's not who's most deserving or even who has the most number of people voting for them, it's who gets the most votes....
    Well, it worked for Buddy Jewell and now he's sold over 500,000 records. Well deserved, IMHO. Especially compared to the AI "stars".

But I just haven't had the warm fuzzies for any of the contestants on this show this season. What separated Nashville Star from American Idol was that songwriting cabability was part of the competition. By this time last season we'd had already heard at least three originals by the contestants. This year it more about the guest stars (Willie, Skynard, etc) and the "hot spots" than it is about talent and the development each week of the competitors.

The second thing that is missing is the constructive criticism. Gershon, Oermann and Robison were there to point out flaws, give suggestions on little changes to make, etc. They did it for everyone, including Buddy Jewell. I almost miss Brandy's little tantrums. This year is "you're so wonderful, you are a Nashville Star," or "I don't see that on country radio" to the annoying Buzz Lightyear references. zzzzz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast