+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 3/27 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett530
    Does Jennifer remind anyone else of Pam tillis?
    No. Her voice reminds me of Dolly Parton.

Quote Originally Posted by glennajo
    I'm still loving Lance. I know no one here likes him, but if you could just hear his cd... It'd blow you away. I hope he gets to stick around.
    I actually liked Lance when he sang George Jones and Jesus, but then he just never impressed me with his singing or his song choices, or his banter with the judges. Last night I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the song and the performance. Hopefully, he will stick around a while so I can see which is the "real" Lance.

Quote Originally Posted by cannonballler
    Who already thinks the competition is already won by George and the rest are fighting for 2nd place.
    I thought that before last night, now I'm not so sure. I think Brad may give him a little competition.

I still love George's voice

And Matt is my second favorite

But Brad is a cutie and he can sing...he'll get a good number of votes for sure.

Good Morning! Canada here! Just saw the show last night.
    • Brent-He really impressed me last night I thought it was his best performance yet.
    • Sheila-Didn't like her song but she has a good voice.
    • Marty-Not that strong of a singer and her song was weak too.
    • Matt-Love this guy! I like him but I don't see him as Nashville Star.
    • George-Love him but I didn't really dig the song. I'm sure he has better.
    • Lance- Loved his song it was great!
    • Brad-I liked his song and he can definitely sing!
    • Jennifer-I loved her song it touched me!

Random thoughts:

George: really boring. One DYNAMITE name for a country star, but one boring person. I'm really confused about all the George Canyon "fans" posting here... Are you guys family members? His voice is good, no better than anyone else's though. I don't see anything about him that distinguishes him from the pack. He certainly isn't much to look at. Of all of them, he does seem the most natural posing as a cowboy. But I certainly wouldn't spend $14.95 on a CD of him. Snore...

Matt: cool, how funny. He almost doesn't seem to care what people think of him at all! Neat and emotionally healthy in the real world, but it doesn't sell well on TV. But still, when that male judge said "Your song would never make it to radio", I DO wish Matt would've responded, "You may be right, but it DID make it to TV". Matt has an awesome awesome awesome voice and he's totally downplaying it with his choice of dumb songs and his character. I think he doesn't believe in himself enough. Of all the people there, I wish he could have a fairy godmother (or whatever) who would show him how to transform himself into a serious artist. None of the other contestants would be able to match him AT ALL. I can't figure why he totally disguises his talent. Overalls and washboard? Get real! It's almost like he doesn't want anyone to hear his singing at all. Anyway, he's the best. But he's sabotaged himself.

the Females: nothing to write home about. Someone else made the comment about one of the girls singing off-key. I never heard any of them do that. The first girl had a believable song, people would buy it. Not super-stimulating though. The other two: Who even remembers? Oh yah, I remember the one who sang "Should said this/that". Um, dumb dumb dumb 5th grade lyrics, with a totally cool presentation. Hmmm. I still am not sure what it was she "should've said". The polite cussing in the song seemed more like when young kids say cuss words just to get a reaction. Does she play any instruments? It made her seem less talented than the others, since they all have superior voices.

Brad: Awesome, totally awesome, I forgot it was a competition because it felt like a professional show when he sang. Don't the judges feel like absolute morons for voting him off so many weeks ago? He is obviously the most polished, the most natural, the most doesn't-have-to-work-at-all-in-the-performance-and-so-the-audience-can-totally-relax-and-just-completely-be-performed-to. I still don't understand the George Canyon groupies when George doesn't hold a candle to Brad's level of talent. And I really appreciated that Brad can showcase skills on multiple instruments. That alone will give him more longevity than the other contestants. It's not just that he can "play" multiple instruments...(so many of us can do that)...but it's that he can perform at such a high level with multiple instruments. That is rare.

The other guys: I can't remember them distinctly. I remember the beer-not-just-for-breakfast song, but not the guy who sang it. Neither he nor George Canyon will ever find the success independently that they could find with backup singing, because they're just un-unique. A lotta cowboys out there, y'know? I don't think simple sells, at least not for long.

Regrets:
    Mal--totally not country at all, but the audacity of a thickly-Irish-accented person posing as a cowboy was too puzzling to dismiss easily. I hope he finds success!
    The girl with blond hair who had the awesome, totally awesome raspy voice, somewhat like Janis Joplin. Big mistake to let her go! She could definitely add some uniqueness to country music, if she was truly country herself and not just a wanna-be. She stood out among the females. I wish she was still on and the other three were outta-there.

Ultimately, star quality means you have just the right level of uniqueness: so you are ABSOLUTELY memorable, but not so out there that people will consume you and consume you until they're fully satiated, then they don't want you no more...

Matt's the most unique. Probably too unique to last unless he gets some professional management. George is a cookie-cutter of all the other good-hearted cowboys out there. (P.S. I don't like George much but was totally offended when one of the judges slammed his song about his dead son--George took that well but you could see in his face the insult was felt personally, deep, and I hope he will be able to place it in a different context when he reviews it in his mind later.) Brad is the best of all of them. Clearly the most talented, the most natural performer, the most out-reaching. But, umm, is he country?

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    The girl with blond hair who had the awesome, totally awesome raspy voice, somewhat like Janis Joplin. Big mistake to let her go! She could definitely add some uniqueness to country music, if she was truly country herself and not just a wanna-be. She stood out among the females. I wish she was still on and the other three were outta-there.

(P.S. I don't like George much but was totally offended when one of the judges slammed his song about his dead son--George took that well but you could see in his face the insult was felt personally, deep, and I hope he will be able to place it in a different context when he reviews it in his mind later.)
    I agree with you about Stacy Michelle, she was my favorite of all the ladies. I hope she releases a CD soon, I loved her voice. It was so different w/ that bluesy raspy edge. The other ladies really don't impress me all that much unfortunately.

I wanted to clear up something for you about the song that George sang. It was called "A Good Day to Ride" which is currently released as a single on Canadian radio stations and CMT in Canada. He dedicated his performance of this song to his friends who had just lost a son (not to his own child).
    I am a big George Canyon fan, and no I am not a relative or friend. I just like his voice and he has great stage presence. He is my pick to win this, but Brad is going to give him a great run. Brad has impressed me so much and has now moved up to #2 spot for me.

I'm not a family member of George that I know of, I think he is what country music has been lacking for a long time, the nice traditional country music star that there's not nearly enough of anymore in country music...
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    I think he is what country music has been lacking for a long time, the nice traditional country music star that there's not nearly enough of anymore in country music...
    Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself!

I also think Richie Jones falls in this category of traditional country, it was a crime he got eliminated. According to his website, there is some big news to be released soon! I have heard that he has been contacted by several record labels in Nashville, so I am hoping that things work out for this talented guy. Did you see Richie Jones in the audience at the show this week (they showed him right near the end of the show)?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    I'm not a family member of George that I know of, I think he is what country music has been lacking for a long time, the nice traditional country music star that there's not nearly enough of anymore in country music...
    Exactly!

Nope, not family here... and I've never met him. I have a friend who is a friend of his wife... does that count?
    You look like the kind of guy that would kick somebody's butt and then lead them to the Lord.

George Canyon for Nashville Star!
    Check my profile for the official George Canyon Fanlisting.

: I'm really confused about all the George Canyon "fans" posting here... Are you guys family members? His voice is good, no better than anyone else's though.
    George has the kind of voice that makes me look up from what I'm doing. There's nothing boring about him. He was originally my pick to win, but I think Brad has stepped it up and could be some serious competition.

: Matt: cool, how funny. He almost doesn't seem to care what people think of him at all! Neat and emotionally healthy in the real world, but it doesn't sell well on TV. But still, when that male judge said "Your song would never make it to radio", I DO wish Matt would've responded, "You may be right, but it DID make it to TV". Matt has an awesome awesome awesome voice and he's totally downplaying it with his choice of dumb songs and his character. I think he doesn't believe in himself enough.
    Matt is awesome. I disagree though, I think he believes in himself enough to be who he is and to heck if people don't like him. I think his image is pretty cool. In an era of pretty boys and pseudo country, he's the real deal. He'll never win, but I definitely think there's a place in country music for guys like him.

Brad: Awesome, totally awesome, I forgot it was a competition because it felt like a professional show when he sang.
    I agree, but Saturday was the first time I was seriously impressed with Brad. Maybe he needs to sing his own material to shine. The same about Lance. I was thoroughly unimpressed with him, but loved Beer is Not For Breakfast. If he can pull off a few more performances like that, he may have converted me from wanting to see him voted off.

+ Reply to Thread