+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Year's Talent and Judging

FORT Regular

This Year's Talent and Judging

Am I the only who thinks this year's show is the pits? It's like they're looking for another one of country's one-hit wonders and not someone who sings from the heart. Out of the twenty, I thought Brennen Leigh and Matthew were the only ones. Gregory's performance this week, while lacking in presence, her voice nailed that song beautifully. Even my husband looked up (which is saying a lot). Neither JAM nor Buddy would have made it to the finals if there were in this year's group.

I guess when you have some top 20 DJ and the Warren Brothers, who wouldn't know real country music if it hit them in the face, being 2 out of the 3 judges, it's going to go no where fast. The commercial for next week's show makes it look like Matthew is gone as of next week, too. If he's gone, I'm gone. There is not a single contestant on that show that I think is worth listening to for 2 minutes. They're all channel changers.

Quote Originally Posted by halobrown
    Am I the only who thinks this year's show is the pits? It's like they're looking for another one of country's one-hit wonders and not someone who sings from the heart. Out of the twenty, I thought Brennen Leigh and Matthew were the only ones. Gregory's performance this week, while lacking in presence, her voice nailed that song beautifully. Even my husband looked up (which is saying a lot). Neither JAM nor Buddy would have made it to the finals if there were in this year's group.

I guess when you have some top 20 DJ and the Warren Brothers, who wouldn't know real country music if it hit them in the face, being 2 out of the 3 judges, it's going to go no where fast. The commercial for next week's show makes it look like Matthew is gone as of next week, too. If he's gone, I'm gone. There is not a single contestant on that show that I think is worth listening to for 2 minutes. They're all channel changers.

I tend to agree. Judging sucks and some of the better people were elminated already. There is no Buddy Jewel calibre talent, or John Arthur talent in this one. Some of them are pretty good, but no one stands out so far (except George). If Matt is gone I'm going to be real upset, what the heck is wrong with people? Get rid of all the ones who have some originality and we're left with nothing but Tim McGraw and Faith Hill impersonators.

Last year I was so addicted to Nashville Star I couldn't wait for it to come on. And I was hooked right from the start. This one, I don't feel that way about. Shoot, I can't even keep half of the contestants straight this year.

Anybody know why Charlie Robinson and Robert K. didn't sign on to do this one? I miss those guys, big time!

FORT Regular
    I was totally hooked last year on NS- but this year, I really don't care if I watch or not. I'm not attracted to any of the performers the way I was last year. I agree- Robert K and Charlie made better judges. The DJ that decides what we want to hear on radio is annoying. That kind of attitude is why I don't listen to mainstream Country Radio. I hope it gets more interesting, otherwise I'll find something else to do Sat nites.

There are four this year that I think are really good!
    here i am jumping on the lance miller bandwagon....again.
    But I have his cd, and it's awesome. I don't know if any of the others have cd's out, but I think George Canyon, Brad Cotter, and Brent Keith are also very good.

I didn't watch last season until the end, so I can't compare the two. But I think it's going to turn into a good season. Just my two cents...

I'm not much of a Reality TV fan until I started watching American Idol this season, and I didn't see a single episode of Nashville Star from last year. The only reason I'm watching this year (though I am slightly addicted now) is George Canyon is on it and he's one of my favs. I think he's doing pretty good for himself up there though. He's not a commercial singer, he doesn't want to be a commercial singer, and yet everyone seems to like him.

I must say, I don't like the judges much. The Warren Brothers have always bugged me, and Billy seems to focus too much on what radio will want (hey, if the fans vote for the people the fans will request the people... back off radio-friendly stuff! BAH!) and Tracy... well, not much to say about her... just have to question her since she's such a supporter of Gregory, that kind of scared me.
    You look like the kind of guy that would kick somebody's butt and then lead them to the Lord.

George Canyon for Nashville Star!
    Check my profile for the official George Canyon Fanlisting.

There are 4 contestants that I like at this point, so I will be watching the every week show to see how they do. I am not too crazy about the choice of judges; surely they could have found other more qualified people. I miss Robert K Ortman

I'm definately afraid that with the exception of - the female judge (he name excapes me right now) - they judges are look for main stream country as it exsists right now.

The Warren Brothers even thought that one woman was singing an Alan Jackson song last week - forgetting I guess that country music did exsist before Garth Brooks.

FORT Regular
    I believe Charlie left because he had to attend to his duties of being Mr. Emily Robison. Ortmann left because he knew that striking oil twice was going to be impossible but also had a previous commitment. Clint Black isn't back because Sony let him go last year. (Though I think he still does a guest appearance)

As for Canyon not wanting to be commercial, I don't buy it. He wouldn't be on this show if he didn't want to be commercial. What does he think is going to happen once he gets the contract? Maybe you meant mainstream -- ie -- garbage country like Garth, Tim, Faith, Shania, etc. Maybe if he just relaxed and had fun instead of trying to "perform" I'd be into him a bit more.

I'm also getting the vibe Tracy Gershon isn't too happy with her co-judges. One of the cool things about last year was the respectful bantering among the judges. There is none of that this year. Tracy knows that the turn is coming towards more traditional music (proven by Buddy's election last year). She keeps saying how hard it's going to be...but she doesn't say it's because they are so good. She just says it going to be hard. She's being outvoted by the idiots.

I agree with you guys, I think the judges made some poor decision this year in picking out people that continued to the finals. There were a few talented artists that were flushed out and a few that shouldn't have been in the finals that took their place.

Right now in my mind I think there are two categories in NS2.... there is George Canyon and then there's the rest.

Altho they all do a pretty good job, the rest of them haven't convinced me to run out and buy their CDs yet, but then again... I've only heard them twice

As for the judges, I REALLY like Tracy, at first I was kinda puzzled at my own reactions cause I felt for some reason I liked her better this season than I did last year... Now you all cleared it up for me...it's because the quality of the other judges have gone down... I like Billy, but I think the show could do without the Warren Brothers, their comments arent that helpful, they're trying too hard to be funny and it ain't workin'

Having said all that Im still looking forward to next episode lol
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    Right now in my mind I think there are two categories in NS2.... there is George Canyon and then there's the rest.

I agree. Two of the guys I thought could give George a run for his money were eliminated before they ever got to compete.

You would think they would have learned from last year who made it through to the top 3, wouldn't you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast