+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: This Year's Talent and Judging

  1. #11
    Wish I was the kitten drakefn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Age
    28
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    Right now in my mind I think there are two categories in NS2.... there is George Canyon and then there's the rest.
    Amen to that, I completely agree!

    And halobrown, sure... mainstream does work better than commercial. I had something more to say but it always makes me come off as a know-it-all type of person, and I'm far from it, lol, and don't wanna come off rude so I'll just say you're free to your opinion and I'm free to mine.
    You look like the kind of guy that would kick somebody's butt and then lead them to the Lord.


    George Canyon for Nashville Star!
    Check my profile for the official George Canyon Fanlisting.

  2. #12
    FORT Newbie ginger069's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sin City
    Age
    38
    Posts
    39

    talent and judges??????

    It is sad they could not get better judges than what they have. The brothers are a poor excuse since all they want to do is their little sexual innuendo's with all the lady's.Also the brothers have some rabid fans, just check the forum at their web site. Mr DJ seems to be worried about offending anyone so he stays in the middle of the road. Tracy is the same as last year but there are to many she loves. Seems like she loved Greg the first week and something occurred in between that changed her mind.As for talent ,they sent the best home the first night. Richie Jones was the best performer the first night and they flat out robbed him.They certainly are scraping the bottom of the barrel unless they are trying to control who the winner is.After the anticipation I was very disappointed by the first and second weeks. It just verifies what was being said about the manipulation toward crossovers.

  3. #13
    FORT Fanatic gaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    665
    The one thing I recall very clearly was Charlie Robinson did not like and kept voting against Buddy Jewel last year. Charlie kept on and on about Buddy's appearance. (the mullet haircut and the rain coat- cowboy duster) Yet it was obvious Buddy had a great voice. And I recall it was the girl judge who fought to get Buddy in the competion.

    But to be fair... Charlie Robinson is from a, large land owning family, in south Texas...(IE: cattle ranchers) and married Emily from the Dixie Chicks... wayyyy before she had made any money. Ole Charlie is far from being some poor country hick who married well.

    Now the one thing that does bug me about the judging... the girl judge works for Sony. And Sony owns this show. So lets be honest... Sony has a big influence on who gets a head. If we got to see more singing from the contestants it would maybe make more sense who is getting cut and who is going home. I am not happy with the one tiny moment of singing to make a decision from.

  4. #14
    ...is my name-o bingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Austin!
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by djbee
    I was totally hooked last year on NS- but this year, I really don't care if I watch or not. I'm not attracted to any of the performers the way I was last year. I agree- Robert K and Charlie made better judges. The DJ that decides what we want to hear on radio is annoying. That kind of attitude is why I don't listen to mainstream Country Radio. I hope it gets more interesting, otherwise I'll find something else to do Sat nites.
    Amen. The judges don't seem to want to find anything fresh and new - they just want more of the same. And I hate how they keep comparing everyone to some other artist. They just can't let the contestants be people in their own right, with their own visions. It's too bad.

    I much preferred last season to this one. Much more singer-songwriter, and less Faith Hilly.

  5. #15
    FORT Fogey Misty8723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo
    Amen. The judges don't seem to want to find anything fresh and new - they just want more of the same. And I hate how they keep comparing everyone to some other artist. They just can't let the contestants be people in their own right, with their own visions. It's too bad.

    I much preferred last season to this one. Much more singer-songwriter, and less Faith Hilly.
    I agree. I'm so tired of hearing "radio wouldn't play that song." That's why I hardly ever listen to country radio anymore. The songs all sound alike, the singers all sound alike, there's no originality anymore. And radio is afraid to play anybody original. It's sad.

  6. #16
    FORT Fogey Misty8723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,371

    The judges

    What I liked about Robert K. last year was that he has a sincere appreciation for the roots and history of country music. The new judges don't have that.

  7. #17
    FORT Regular CorgisRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723
    I agree. I'm so tired of hearing "radio wouldn't play that song." That's why I hardly ever listen to country radio anymore. The songs all sound alike, the singers all sound alike, there's no originality anymore. And radio is afraid to play anybody original. It's sad.
    I agree and that is why I think that Matt is doing so well. People want something different. I was so sad when the judges axed Mal Rogers.

    I think the final 4 will be George, Brad, Lance and Matt

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    Right now in my mind I think there are two categories in NS2.... there is George Canyon and then there's the rest.
    At first I agreed with you but the more he sings the more they all sound a like. he needs more personality.

  8. #18
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    81
    Last year the focus was singer-songwriter, and there was also a historical perspective- remember styles of country? You'l never hear a western swing song this year, that's for sure. Last year the performers were fresh and entertaining- not all cookie-cutter of someone who's already popular. I guess after one year of originality, Sony lost thier nerve. There's no one here this year with Buddy's classic voice, or john Arthur's fresh approach to songwriting. And most of these folks look like they're being tortured.....I wonder how many of them actually have performing experience.

  9. #19
    FORT Regular CorgisRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by djbee
    Last year the focus was singer-songwriter, and there was also a historical perspective- remember styles of country? You'l never hear a western swing song this year, that's for sure. Last year the performers were fresh and entertaining- not all cookie-cutter of someone who's already popular. I guess after one year of originality, Sony lost thier nerve. There's no one here this year with Buddy's classic voice, or john Arthur's fresh approach to songwriting. And most of these folks look like they're being tortured.....I wonder how many of them actually have performing experience.
    Unfortunatly I think most of them have preforming experience. As Marty has stated many times she is a BACKUP singer for some big names and is a big name dropper (hoping that will help). George and Matt have records already (on independant labels) and whom ever else. I don't understand why Sony would loose their nerve, Buddy Jewel has done great and so has the other 3 finalists.

    The DJ said that Matts song would never be played on the radio! WHY???
    I loved it. I think he is origional, funny and not cut from a mold, and he is having fun doing it. Plus I really like his range and his voice.

    My final 4 picks are Matt, Brad, Jennifer and Lance
    Last edited by CorgisRule; 04-02-2004 at 06:32 PM.

  10. #20
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    301
    Judges better last year and talent all around was better last year. I could easily have seen 4 or 5 of them last year as the winner this year only 2 maybe 3 at the most.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.