+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mal Rogers

Mal Rogers

HOMETOWN: County Antrim, Northern Ireland

CURRENTLY RESIDES: County Antrim, Northern Ireland

BIO: Mal trained as a chef in County Artrim in Northern Ireland before giving it up to become a full time singer/songwriter. He plays the guitar, piano, harmonica, and tin whistle, but first launched his musical career at age three when he started playing the accordion. He competed in a local talent competition in Northern Ireland in July 2003 through which he won his first trip to Nashville, and his visit there solidified his dream to return to the United States and try and land a recording deal. He performs live in bars and clubs in Ireland 50 weeks out of the year, and has four brothers and a mother and father who support him 100%.

PERSONAL STATEMENT: "I feel I am an Irish mixture of Garth Brooks and Bono - just a born entertainer. I'm a small town boy who is quietly confident and ready for the world stage, and hopefully I can prove it. My musical and writing influences are Garth Brooks, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, and James Taylor."

Last edited by John; 03-11-2004 at 08:02 PM.

I couldn't get that website link to work. I don't know if I've ever heard an Irish country singer before, but my curiosity is up.

He was a finalist on "Cool Country" on the BBC. Some pictures and video clips from that competition.

His bio from that site:
    One of five boys, Mal (22) grew up in Carnlough, County Antrim and was playing the accordian by the age of three! His dad and older brothers were in a band at the time and they often left their instruments lying around the house, which gave Mal plenty of opportunity to practice.

This former Northern Ireland Cycling champion, began entering talent competitions at 15 having become aware of his singing abilities.

When Mal was 18, a newspaper advertisement caught his eye - it was a call for members to form a cover band. Mal replied, auditioned in Dublin and got through. Although set up to play covers, within two weeks of forming the band began to play their own compositions. Since then Mal has set up a small recording studio with his brother Declan.

One of Mal's best friends is married to Natalie Maines, singer with the internationally-acclaimed Dixie Chicks and Mal says he would love nothing more than to duet with her.

I love this guy, he is one of my favorites so far! His 'faux-hawk' is pretty fun too

FORT Regular
    I wasn't impressed. He wan't country at all. The songs that used to be on his website are pop. He is a very good singer, but sorry, not country.

Quote Originally Posted by djbee
    I wasn't impressed. He wan't country at all. The songs that used to be on his website are pop. He is a very good singer, but sorry, not country.

I believe with his accent he listens to a song with the headphones in order to learn it. I may be Irish myself but he is not country at all. He is a mimic.His song the other night sounded a whole lot like Tim McGraw to me.

I'll be interested to see what his voice and accent sound like singing one of his original songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhora
    I'll be interested to see what his voice and accent sound like singing one of his original songs.

I am wondering that myself, maybe he has a demo-singer record it so he can learn it.

Mal is one of my favorites so far. I love his accent and I thought that he did a wonderful job singing a country song without allowing his accent to interfere.

His bio-- http://www.usanetwork.com/nashvilles...l.rodgers.html

HOMETOWN: County Antrim, Northern Ireland

CURRENTLY RESIDES: County Antrim, Northern Ireland

BIO: Mal trained as a chef in County Artrim in Northern Ireland before giving it up to become a full time singer/songwriter. He plays the guitar, piano, harmonica, and tin whistle, but first launched his musical career at age three when he started playing the accordion. He competed in a local talent competition in Northern Ireland in July 2003 through which he won his first trip to Nashville, and his visit there solidified his dream to return to the United States and try and land a recording deal. He performs live in bars and clubs in Ireland 50 weeks out of the year, and has four brothers and a mother and father who support him 100%.

PERSONAL STATEMENT: "I feel I am an Irish mixture of Garth Brooks and Bono - just a born entertainer. I'm a small town boy who is quietly confident and ready for the world stage, and hopefully I can prove it. My musical and writing influences are Garth Brooks, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, and James Taylor."

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: www.malrodgers.com

EPISODE BY EPISODE:
    The Road to Nashville: Performed "Just To See You Smile" (Tim McGraw); chosen by the judges to be one of the 10 finalists

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    Love him!! I hope he goes far in this competition.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast