+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Austin Hanks

Austin Hanks

HOMETOWN: Palmerdale, Alabama

CURRENTLY RESIDES: Sherman Oaks, California

BIO: Austin is a full-time singer/songwriter/guitar player. Although he is currently living in LA's San Fernando Valley, he keeps in touch with his southern roots: he plays in several singer/songwriter nights around LA, and is a part of the city's burgeoning country scene. Although he spends most of his time making a living playing guitar, he has also done some work on soap operas. He collects autographs of country stars, concentrating on "old school" stars like Buck, Merle, Waylon, and George.

PERSONAL STATEMENT: "I like to think that I'm the last of a free breed, one of the last of the full-grown men. And when I decided that what I do IS your daddy's country-rock, I promised to share it with all civilians - that includes you new recruits that tune in to Nashville Star. '3 chords and a cloud of dust' best describes my live shows - or,'3 chords, no waiting, I can take y'all over here.' Give me a 1,2,3,4, and I'll see ya at the encore baby..."

Last edited by John; 03-11-2004 at 07:55 PM.

[IMG]images/img/ns_hanks.jpg[/IMG]

Ok, I am liking his picture.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Apparently Austin is this years "thug".

He was born in Palmerdale, Alabama, but has been living in LA since 1997. He wrote his first song when he was in the 5th grade. He was raised on country, blues, gospel and FM rock. He has opened for The Black Crows, The Georgia Satellites, The Bodeans, Blues Traveler, Reverend Horton Heat, Widespread Panic, Jesus Jones, Squeeze, Peter Frampton, and Drivin' 'n Cryin' if his website is to be believed. Oh, and speaking of his website...it needs some work. The words won't stay in one place long enough to be able to fully read his bio.

Ok, don't like the 'thug' picture, though.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

His website was designed by Travis Howard (from last season of Nashville Star).
    There are some song clips on the website, but it is very hard to navigate around this site. Austin has a rock sound, so not sure how this will go over with the judges.

FORT Newbie

You'll be surprised

Since its a Reality TV show, you'd be surprised who makes it on. Controversy spawns ratings.

Austin had this whole rock-a-billy thing going on with slinging his guitar so low down by his knees while he performed. He was very entertaining, I enjoyed watching him on Nashville Star Saturday. Going into the show I didn't think I would like him, but was pleasantly surprised by him. It will be interesting to see if he makes it as the 11th contestant or not.

I didn't really like the leg thing he was doing. I doubt it would have bothered me in the context of the rockin' part of a long song, but it seemed kind of silly for a 30 second segment. I know they have to try and jump right in and give it 110% since they have such a short time to impress, but because it was such a deliberately posed posture it just seemed wholly unnatural and an oddly unpleasant distraction.

I wasn't all that impressed with Austin, but I wouldn't mind hearing him again in case my limited first impression was off.

live on a small farm new england originally from Sweden-English is my second language.
    It was waaay off. Your limited forst impression. The guy can play guitar. The low slung guitar wasn't a pose-he always does that. Yup, I've seen him play before. That's just how he is. He's quite a good writer and singer. And yes, his websited can be believed in terms of who he has played with. He's done session work as well. It kina bites in a big way he didn't make the cut. Having said that Austin isn't hurting for work .By the by, he can dress as thug, a cowboy or how ever he wants-he's easy on the eyes. LOL
    Tim Wakefield is knuckleriffic

+ Reply to Thread