+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Nanny 911' star delivers spoonful of sugar

'Nanny 911' star delivers spoonful of sugar

This is a little old, but interesting nonetheless. From infobeat; link to article here.

'Nanny 911' star delivers spoonful of sugar
    Tuesday, November 02

In the United States, a nation where television and occasionally parents are entrusted with raising children, our image of the quintessential nanny swings between two disparate extremes - either Fran Drescher's braying, love-starved domestic, or the more magical and saintly problem solver embodied by Julie Andrews. "I love Mary Poppins," laughs Nanny Deb, one of the stars of FOX's new unscripted offering "Nanny 911." "Aside from the fact that we'd all like to snap our fingers and clean up our rooms, I think that the premise of Mary Poppins was that she brought structure to those children's lives with an element of fun." Nanny Deb admits that she can't fly, with or without a parasol, nor can Nanny Yvonne, Nanny Stella or Head Nanny Lillian, the Charlie to the other three discipline-delivering Angels. However, there's little doubt that the stars of "Nanny 911" are being asked to perform a very particular kind of magic. The FOX show dispatches one nanny per week into chaotic family situations usually involving shrieking children, traumatized parents and the kind of volatility that would usually require U.N. peacekeepers. The experts are expected to produce results in a week. The show's premiere, which airs Wednesday night, pits Nanny Deb against little Natalie and Dylan, twin terrors only slightly better than savages, not old enough to read, but perfectly capable of wreaking havoc on their parents' marriage. "My response immediately upon seeing them was, `Oh the poor children,' because they're not happy children," Nanny Deb says. "You go into a family and you know that any issues the children have stem from the parenting. Immediately I knew that there was something going wrong within this family that was making these children feel out of control. No child wants to feel as though they're completely out of control." Inspired by a television documentary on nannying that she saw at 12, Nanny Deb manages to impart wisdom to the show's first family without resorting to the blustery scare tactics employed by American tough-love experts like Dr. Phil. "I use a lot of humor with my children and my families," Nanny Deb says, explaining her basic strategy. "I get the children to trust me and realize that I'm on their side, but that I also mean business. Stella has a very no-nonsense approach, `I'm not messing around it you, this is what we're going to do.' Yvonne uses a much more gentle, respectful approach. We all have our own ways of doing it, but ultimately the results should be the same, because we each believe in the same three principles, which are consistency, structure and discipline." Nanny Deb laments how quickly American children are expected to grow up and how certain crucial details - manners in particular - are lost in the rush to encourage toddlers and elementary school kids to become young adults. The nanny culture, so central to certain parts of British society, is reflective of a refusal to let children raise themselves. "In England, we really do try to raise our children properly," Nanny Deb says. "They really do believe that children are the ones who are going to grow into adults and run the country and be upstanding citizens. When people hire a nanny in England, they expect the nanny to be a substitute parent, whereas in this country, a lot of people think of a nanny as a babysitter, and it's a totally different job description." Anybody who has watched "The Nanny" and "Mary Poppins" back-to-back should be able to see the difference. The show's main nannies had extensive creative control over their episodes, and Nanny Deb hopes that "Nanny 911" won't be like so many other FOX reality shows. "Sometimes you look at a reality show and you think sensationalism," she notes. "I really wanted it to be a helpful thing, but of course entertaining, because otherwise no one's going to watch it." --- (c) 2004, Zap2it.com. Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune News Service.

This was actually a very entertaining and informative read. How true (but sad) is this statement?

In the United States, a nation where television and occasionally parents are entrusted with raising children . . .
    It's a shame electronic babysitters have taken over for so many families. For anyone truly wanting sound parenting tips, I don't believe you can go wrong with these:

We all have our own ways of doing it, but ultimately the results should be the same, because we each believe in the same three principles, which are consistency, structure and discipline.
    Ultimately, I believe that is what Nanny 911 is trying to bring to all the families on this show.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 11-11-2004 at 07:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread