+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Nanny 911' cries for 86-ing

'Nanny 911' cries for 86-ing

A not-so-favorable review from NY Post Online: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-212906c.html

'Nanny 911' cries for 86-ing

The newest reality show, "Nanny 911," is in such terrible shape, someone should call "TV 911."

It's not just exploitative. It's repulsive.

The concept of "Nanny 911," premiering tomorrow night at 9 on Fox, is to descend upon parents who are so utterly *irresponsible and clueless that they A) allow their young children to run roughshod over them, and B) think nothing of allowing a TV crew into their homes to document all the bad behavior.

Fox spread the word through local ads and affiliate Web sites for parents with rowdy offspring between the ages of 2 and 9 to apply to appear on a new, unscripted, "fun, family TV show" submitting *video, if possible, of "any out-of-control behavior of your children."

A room of British nannies looks at this footage, judging from afar like the voyeuristic lifestyle makeover team on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy." Then one of them is dispatched to the home in question, accepting the dare like a daycare "Iron Chef."

Only, in this case, it's Iron Fist, arriving at the door as if equal parts Mary Poppins and the Exorcist. She's got one week to whip the kids, and their *parents, into shape, while the *cameras roll.

In the opener, 4-year-old Dylan makes his *introductory appearance by hitting his mother, his 2-year-old sister, Natalie, and even the camera.

The only thing he doesn't clobber is Nanny Deborah, whose British accent drips out through sneers of disbelief at what she's witnessing.

I'm with her.

What's wrong with this picture? Just about everything.

# First, it's got the most headache-inducing* cacophony of crying children on TV since the ABC telemovie "The *Women's Room." That was 24 years ago, but I still remember how irritating it was. In 2028, should I live that long, I fear I'll still recall the wailing from "Nanny 911."

# Second, any reality show that includes kids, who are too young to offer informed consent, is by definition talking advantage of them and of parents who are too egocentric to protect their own young. Even if the advice given is sound, the path to get there is far too manipulative and shameful.

# Third, there's no way the presence of cameras, filming this nanny-visiting pro*cedure, adds anything but conflict. I might even like this show if it were something like "Dog Obedience 911" (Animal Planet, are you listening?), because *canines will perform just as badly, or as well, whether a TV crew is filming or not. Little children, who feed off *attention and conflict, will act only worse.

# Fourth, no matter how sympathetic the nanny and the show sound at the end, most of the show is spent *encouraging viewers to *revel in the bad *behavior of the entire family. "I have *often found that long days can lead to even longer nights," Deborah advises, *suggesting that *nannies and TV critics share *something in common.

The misbehavior in "Nanny 911" is nothing that a good *tranquilizer gun wouldn't cure. And if you won't aim it at the kids or their mother, then, please, put me out of my TV-watching misery and shoot it at me.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Nanny 911

I have seen the commercials for this show and was wondering if I would like to watch it. Decided no not for me. I cannot stand children let alone bratty ones. This show should be 86'd and quickly.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

LG.
    If it shows any parents (or future parents, or potential parents) in the viewing audience that they need to set boundaries to raise children, then it may be worth the air time. I actually liked some of their tips last week, like "'I want' does not get." Sadly, many parents want to be liked by their kids or feel so guilty about spending time at work away from their children or whatever that they don't teach their children to respect other people and common sense rules of decorum, and that isn't doing the kids any favors in the long run.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    If it shows any parents (or future parents, or potential parents) in the viewing audience that they need to set boundaries to raise children, then it may be worth the air time. I actually liked some of their tips last week, like "'I want' does not get." Sadly, many parents want to be liked by their kids or feel so guilty about spending time at work away from their children or whatever that they don't teach their children to respect other people and common sense rules of decorum, and that isn't doing the kids any favors in the long run.
    Beautifully stated, LG!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

FORT Newbie
    Another important tip was that the parents need to present a united front and act as a team in parenting. Any disagreements or discussions about parenting should be done away from the children.

I totally disagree with the author of the article. Watch the show and then judge for yourself whether it has any redeeming qualities. I get so tired of reviewers that critique shows, and they, themselves, don't have a clue about the subject matter. I don't understand why so many critics try to "kill" a show before it even airs--or shortly thereafter.

In response to the what's wrong with the picture (according to this esteemed TV critic): 1) The show isn't just about 60 minutes of kids acting-out and "headache-inducing" cacophony. Viable solutions to specific patterns of behavior were offered and the desired results of a change in that behavior were obtained. 2) Informed consent for kids? Give me a break. 3) Kids that want attention don't care if it's negative or positive attention they are getting. I doubt the camera's novelty lasted too long and influenced an increase of *bad* behavior. The kids were totally out-of-control and that didn't start when a camera was on them. 4) I was not encouraged to *revel in the bad behavior* of the entire family. I found it most interesting when the boy was called out on his undesirable behavior, he did have a look of remorse and guilt on his face. He wanted to be good. He just didn't know how because he hadn't ever had any limits set on his behavior. When he received praise (instead of being yelled at), he was beaming with pride.

As LG stated above, rudimentary respect is what was missing from this first family (and I suspect the remaining families, as well.) It's a very basic concept; add limit-setting to that and you are probably on the right road to parenting. Aside from all of that, LG's recaps of the show are stellar!

As far as the show goes, one child at a time. . . .

ETA: I totally agree, mimby! Those kids saw the conflict and knew they could push the parents even more.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 11-09-2004 at 03:06 PM.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    # *I was both*ered with the write*ing of the article. Why? #Because it has *too many #strange "breaks and *stuff". Why* was there so many ann-oying things with that %article?*

Anyway.. I think there are redeeming qualities to the show for expecting parents and those parents that are having a hard time with their children now.
    We watched the show with our neighbor who is a brand-spanking new mommy. The baby girl is going on 4 weeks old now. We talked about stuff while watching the show, albeit it was stuff that she'd NEVER allow her baby/child to do...but it did raise some issues that she MIGHT have to address in the future.
    So, I don't think the show is a total wash.

The screaming (constant) was annoying, if anything...the producers might want to look into a different approach of filming and editing of that. I can see that as a turn-off to viewers, heck..it turned me off.

As for the age of the children and consent to be filmed, I agree. Zaaam and I were talking about Trading Spouses & Wife Swap and how it's not fair for these kids to go through with the show. But, in those cases..I think the children are old enough to understand the concept of the show and able to go through with it. But, with Nanny 911....I can see where these little imps are vulnerable to the whims of the producers and parents who are hoping for a ratings bonanza.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

The show seemed to be on the hit list of the critics long before it came out. I watched the first show, and it was not bad at all in my view.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I liked the show, too. Just because my child isn't as bad as the kids in the show doesn't mean I can't learn from the tips.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

This show doesn't need to be axed. People may actually learn something from it. And all the writer of this article need do is simply press the channel-up or channel-down button on his/her remote.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast