+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Wedding' Producers File Big Fat Objection to FOX Show's Title

FORT Fogey

'Wedding' Producers File Big Fat Objection to FOX Show's Title

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...400|1|,00.html

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The producers of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" are none too pleased with the title of FOX's unscripted series "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance."
    Considering that the show is scheduled to end next week, though, their objections may amount to a big fat zero.

Gold Circle Films, one of the producers "Greek Wedding," which became the most successful independent film of all time in 2002, has asked FOX to change the title of the series, New York's Daily News reports. The company is concerned that audiences might think the show, in which a woman tries to get her family to believe she's marrying a boorish guy (who, unknown to her, is really an actor) she met on a dating show, is somehow related to the movie.

The show has become a surprise hit for FOX, averaging more than 16 million viewers a week since its debut a month ago. Few who have seen the show will believe it has anything to do with the sweet-natured romantic comedy of "Greek Wedding."
    Gold Circle's objection will also be pretty much a moot point by this time next week. "Obnoxious Fiance's" finale is scheduled for Monday, Feb. 23.

"We can't comment on possible litigation," a network spokesman tells the Daily News, "but we believe this is a big waste of everyone's time."

No surprise here-I was just waiting for it. Though they have little time to change the name, I could see it being changed to My Obnoxious Fiance

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    No surprise here-I was just waiting for it. Though they have little time to change the name, I could see it being changed to My Obnoxious Fiance
    If they did that, then the owners of "My Three Sons" (1960s sitcom) might complain about use of the word "My" in the title.

I wish people were punished for launching frivolous lawsuits and stupid accusations like that, don't you? I'm not talking about your response, AIWannabe, but about the Big Fat Greeks.

And if FOX is legally required to change the name of the show, does John have to spend an entire afternoon in here, re-naming all the threads?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

The timing couldn't be any more perfect. 5 days left and they come up with this idea? Sounds like a publicity stunt to me maybe on the BFGW end or both

LG.
    if MBFGW producers want to claim credit for everything big and fat, then they're going to spend a lot of time suing people in my home state of Wisconsin. I think it is ridiculous to file a lawsuit based on this. Waste of the court's time.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

LG. So now the words "my big fat" used in succession are proprietary? Get real....
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
    LG. So now the words "my big fat" used in succession are proprietary? Get real....
    Yes?
    Oh! You weren't talking to me, were you?

+ Reply to Thread